Is he justified in shouting at his chefs?

Is he justified in shouting at his chefs?
Is it an act he puts on like a military drill sergeant, or does he have legitimate anger issues?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/p1X11aLACso
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>never worked in a restaurant: the post
Chefs yell at their cooks all the time in pretty much every restaurant. The stuff Ramsay says is actually pretty tame.

It's a combination of the working class drive to better yourself and rise above your current station, a passion for giving customers the best food possible, and a lifetime of being verbally abused by father figures, including Marco.

In the American version you can tell it's mostly a show he luts on
But sometimes he gets real pissed off and its legit

I can't watch his show because of the yelling its cringe as fugg

sometimes
yes, especially for american tv
maybe a little bit

Gordon is a genuine blowhard in the big TV shows and incredibly affected in his more recent home cooking series. He's always doing this whispering, """pleasant""" voice that makes me want to die.

He worked for Marco Pierre as a kid, he's traumatised ever since Marco fucked him in the ass and he started crying. Now he gives the tradition further.

He's the Jim Norton of cooking.

I'd take Gordon's yelling over a lot of bad shit in real kitchens. He's goofy as fuck.

Also chefs like Marco Pierre White are much much worse than Gordon on his worst days.

I like to think that working under Marco is why Gordon isn't actually abusive in the kitchen. He knows when the yelling turns from harsh encouragement to abuse, because he's lived through it.

Marco wasn't that abusive. I've read his book and seen his show from back in the day. He's just a passionate man who was sensationalized by the media.

Although there was this one story about how a cook was complaining that it was hot so marco cut the back off the guy's whites. Sounds pretty embarrassing

>Marco wasn't that abusive.
He was. Gordon is an example of someone who does the "yelling chef thing" without the abuse.

I like to think I'm a pretty resilient dude but I'd run out of Marco's kitchen crying after a couple hours.

This guy is fucking nuts.

first post best post.

and the reason i don't work in gastronomy anymore.

Chefs can be pricks, and sometimes they need to.
The Gordon show is, excactly that, a show

He yells at people for the US audience

Watch Kitchen Nightmares UK, The F Word or anything like that and he's very calm although he definitely gets stern when pissed off

sounds like a shit job

Of course it's a shit job.

Watch the British versions of his shows. He's much more natural and only yells when things are really wrong.

how do I find the british shows

Youtube. Just search by the name. The only shows with the same name is "Kitchen Nightmares", so for that one you'd search for "Kitchen Nightmares UK".

Ok thanks. One more question: What does the UK stand for?

United Kingdom. (i.e. the nation which is comprised of England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland.)

Then why do it?
I mean, you can cook at home for people you actually care about.

Fun Fact.
Northern Ireland isn't part of Britain.
Great Britain is the name of the island on which England, Wales and Scotland are situated.
In this case, Great refers to the size of the island even though it is bloody brilliant.

Anyway, some Irish like to say they're british. They're not. Don't call them on this though, because they'll likely be drunk and looking for a reason to start a fight.
Some Americans insist on calling me british or a "brit". I am british and by extension european, but I identify as English.

>Fun Fact.

I can see how that is a fact, I don't see how it is fun though.

Yes, but what about Jersey, Guernsey and the Isle of Man?

Alternatively search for Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares. That's the name of the UK version.

>I identify as English
And I identify as a Paki :)

llllllllllllllllll
mmmmm
fffffffffffff
aaaaaaa
ooooooo

this

>Is it an act he puts on like a military drill sergeant,

Yes.

well there's also the fact that chefs, especially those without the chops to back it up, but still call themselves chefs. have huge egos and the second kind are also delusional so it takes some jackassery to get through to them that their shit is not gold

Are you American?

Ramsay only acts like that for the American cameras. On the British shows he's still a hardass but I don't think I've heard him yell at one of his own cooks once.

Reminder for those who don't work in fine dining restaurants: chef Ramsay is considered one of the best chefs alive right now and he has to make sure anyone working in his kitchens aren't complete bitches who'll walk out during service because theyre stressed out.
His name carries a lot of weight and he has to make sure his reputation is upheld in his restaurants which the winners of shows like Hell's kitchen would have to run.
They probably serve upwards of 400 covers a night and that is a lot of responsibility to carry.

He doesn't seem to yell as much, but he will get pretty aggressive with his insults, and will occasionally grab people and throw them around his kitchen if they keep fucking up.

pretty sure you get paid for cooking at restaurants or something like that lol

>Marco Pierre White Jr leaves Georgina ‘fearing for her life’ after vile and abusive video
>Marco Pierre White's wife charged with assault on her own sons
>friends of marco being cunts in the restaurant and getting other people kicked out
>Poor timing always upset me. If we were doing a table of six, for instance, and only four of the main courses were ready, then I was prone to flip. That's when I might send a chef to stand in the corner.
>Sometimes the bollockings included physical abuse. I might tug a chef's apron, or grab a chef by the scruff of the neck and administer a 10-second throttle, just to focus him.

>Sometimes the bollockings included physical abuse. I might tug a chef's apron, or grab a chef by the scruff of the neck and administer a 10-second throttle

why is this guy allowed to live? what a fucked up family

in the british cuisine serving something that doesn't look and taste like shit was a revolution. meals that in every other european country would be considered generic crap with some creme fraiche on top of it, was in the britbong empire a renaissance of taste.

those days are now gone, but then, every numale hipster with a faggy french name could make a killing, if he just knew how to operate a stove.

Honeslty he got me into cooking for myself and sourcing locally grown products. I don't really care for his American persona but watching the F word you can sometimes really see his passion for cooking and helping amateur cooks get better.

That's the main reason I always prefer Jamie when looking at cooking vid. It's just alot more pleasant and comfy to watch Jamie cooks. Gayden is too annoying

I like how he can't pronounce any word with the letter S in it properly.

>literally named his child 'buddy bear'
he's horribly detached from reality

He's also a terrible womaniser, just like bear grills.

Have heard from multiple sources how they try to bed any girls despite protraying themselves as family men.

He has just given birth to a new son. God knows wtf they're going to name him.

>memes on toast :P
lol the british cant cook can they xD

He's an obnoxious faggot who acts like a manbaby. You're making fucking food, not training soldiers. I can't stand tryhard cunts like him, he's no different from that one kid at school acting like a casual soccer game is the fucking World Cup.

>not training soldiers.

You know that the classic french "Brigade system"--which is how most kitchens are run--literally comes from the military, right? Hell, even the word "chef" is a military term; it comes from the military rank "chief".

>>he's no different from that one kid at school acting like a casual soccer game

He's very different from that kid. He is literally at the top of the cooking world--or perhaps it might be more accurate to say that he was a few years ago when he was still running kitchens himself. He literally is at the top of his game. He is in the "World Cup". And "trying hard" is how he got there.

>I've never worked in a kitchen before and I want people to know it

Would you not be trying to bed girls if you were in his position? Geez.

Take a look at his old show Boiling Point. He is just a sad little bully in it. Very pathetic

It's fine as long as you remember how the game is played. I'm looking at you, Tiger Woods.

This guy, this is how all restaurants worth a grain of salt work. Stressful shit

>comes from the military
Yes, I'm aware, and no, it coming from military procedure doesn't mean that he needs to be a big screaming baby over fucking food.
No, I haven't worked in a kitchen because I have self-respect. I pay for retards like you to make my meals for me while you get screamed at by men in their 50s with anger issues for having a dish be 1 degree hotter or colder than what was requested. People who work in kitchens are masochistic faggots who have the same useless and unreachable dreams as actors. Cook for yourself, at home, and get a real job.

>Cook for yourself, at home, and get a real job.
That's what I did.
Unless you're some spoiled rich brat you do have to start working shit jobs before getting good ones.

>>issues for having a dish be 1 degree hotter or colder
Perfection is important in any industry. Don't you want your doctor to give you an EXACT dose? Don't you want the mechanic who serviced the bus you're riding in to have adjusted the brakes exactly the way they are supposed to be?

>unreachable dreams
but it seems like in this case the dream actually was reached, wasn't it?

>>and get a real job.
Ramsay is worth over a hundred million. Seems like he's doing things right to me.

>fucking food needs to be as exact as medication doses and adjusting the brakes on a 3000 pound motor vehicle
Wew lad. I'm talking about you in those last two points, not him. Like I said, millions of retarded faggots want to be actors because they see that some of them are able to become famous and be worth hundreds of millions of dollars. Yet the 99% that aspire to be in that position never make it because it's a fucking waste of time and dependent on luck.

>Wew lad. I'm talking about you

Why? You don't even know me. I'm not the topic of the thread.

>>Yet the 99% that aspire to be in that position never make it
Yes, of course. What does that have to do with Ramsay himself? You know, the topic of the thread. The guy who appears in OP. That's not my photo up there.

He's a fucking manchild drama queen with anger issues.

>He's a fucking manchild drama queen with anger issues when filming for the plebeian US audience*
FTFY

Shut the fuck up eurocuck nigger. Go jack off to your rager manbaby idol Faggot Ramsey.

There is no need to be upset, friend.

There are chefs like this. It's pretty much the order of the day, pun intended. However, some chefs yell because they're shitty leaders and think it's the only way to keep control, others yell because it's basically tradition, and others yell because it gets results. And yeah, there are a lot of chefs with really bad anger problems, frequently battling substance abuse problems.

However, I have been in kitchens are actually happy and productive, where miraculously nobody is an asshole. I find that the exception to the rule, but in the end I buckled under the pressure off the culinary industry and now am looking to go on disability because of severe health problems. I find I like eating, cooking home, and critiquing food far more than I ever did working in the kitchen. And there but for the grace of Joel Robuchon go I...

I'm so glad I don't work in a meme kitchen
>Chef doesn't yell and treats everyone like human beings
>hardly any drug addicts
We get busy, but working fast is only """stressful""" if you're a giant pussy. If you have to resort to drugs to """handle the stress""" you're an even bigger pussy.

Yeah? Let's talk when you've had to slap awake one of your line cooks passed out drunk in your cellar, working 80 hours with unpaid overtime, watching one of your servers backs while they go to score some coke, dealing with a sous chef that regularly throws your food on the ground and yells thinly veiled threats of violence, another chef that brags about being at Michelin rated restaurants that then end up burning their steaks tens of thousands of dollars worth of ingredients to spoil their fridges. or being in a restaurant run by a millionaire playboy it doesn't know how to run a fucking business because he treats it like a toy, and then blames his employees when nobody buys their expensive soju cocktails because nobody wants to go to a bar that doesn't have a fucking liquor license. And that's just the tip of my iceberg. Yeah, you've really lucked out. This isn't even sarcasm. I'm happy for you.

And yeah, working fast is one thing, but working when you have to hold down the station because your other for coworkers can't be arsed to show up and having to do the work of five people simultaneously is definitely more than just working fast. Count your lucky goddamn stars.

So yeah. The whole "meme kitchen" thing exists for good reason. You're right though. To be fair, many of them were recovering alcoholics, or recovering drug addicts, or hadn't had their fix for a week before they came in for their shift, or were ex-felons that had teardrops tattooed onto their faces. A lot ex this, former that. A lot of people trying to run from something ugly. To be fair though, the entire concept of the celebrity chef is really something that's only come to light since the 70s, and I suppose that with times the demographics involved in the culinary industry are shifting. Restaurants are now cool.
However, degenerates, lowborn folk, the angry, drug addicts, the destitute and the generally hopeless used to be the traditionin the culinary industry.
some habits die hard, I guess.

Also
>>hardly any drug addicts
kek

Honestly I always thought it was exaggerated but I just came back from visiting an english family and we ate out most evenings, one place they hailed as having the best fries and it was the blandest most undercooked potato substitute I've ever put in my mouth. The whole table were praising them and I just endured in silence. Not even our shittiest kebab places serves fries that bad.

well shit. I just like to cook :/

>Yet the 99% that aspire to be in that position never make it because it's a fucking waste of time and dependent on luck.
Same can be said for nearly every other industry you fucking man-child

What the fuck--was the mental stuff caused by your old cook job, or was that there before?

Chips are on of the few foods that the British are given credit for doing well.
Just because you ordered fries at a restaurant and didn't like them doesn't mean the whole country is shit at cooking. It tends to be foreign restaurants that do crappy chips here anyway.

No, he doesn't. There was a documentary dating back to 1998 about him failing to get his third Michelin star in the UK, and he yelled the same way. Worse, actually, because he got to say "faggot" and sometimes slapped and pulled chefs and waiters by their clothes. AND, he legitimately fired people on the spot.

Way to conduct yourself. You clearly are above acting like a screaming manbaby as shown in this thread.

Half our kitchen staff had killed at least one person at one point.

We were a "Family Diner".

Nice rumor thats straight out of your ass

Nigga you serious

it's a job,he's their boss, so yeah.
You'd know if you ever worked, tumblrina.

it's a normal job with normal hierarchy. If your boss always agrees with you either you are a woman and he wants your ass, or your company will close next month.

Get a proper job

I work for a multinational fortune 500 company.
So we have an insane company values policy, a massive HR division and will still be trading when I'm dead.

desu i wish my chef would cut the back out of my coat bc the kitchen is really unbearably hot this week

>It tends to be foreign restaurants that do crappy chips here anyway.
>tfw the local chinese takeaway does better chips than the local chippie

He's incredibly insufferable

Uh, what?

youtu.be/p1X11aLACso