What is Veeky Forums's opinion on Jarred Garlic?

What is Veeky Forums's opinion on Jarred Garlic?

I love it and think it works as well as fresh minced garlic.

My professional cooking friends make fun of me though...

I've never had one that didn't taste weird in some way. Mincing garlic only takes like 10 seconds anyways. Unless you're using mounds I can't see the point, and if you're using mounds wouldn't you want it to taste nice?

What is it floating in?

Never.

>Mincing garlic only takes like 10 seconds anyways.

Fuck off

It's fine.
Actually mincing garlic is only worthwhile if you're trying to impress someone. Once in a dish it's literally impossible to tell the difference.

It depends on how much your time is worth.
If you make 5 bucks an hour, then yeah. Mince your own garlic. Have fun! Because that's "fun" to you.
If you have a real job, relationship, hobbies, and better things to do, then enjoy the convenience that more advanced people can afford.
End of story.

Water.

>and better things to do

Like shitpost on Veeky Forums?

That's not an exaggeration though. Squeeze it so the skin pops off and grate it. Maybe takes 15 seconds if you're slow. The taste is so much better that it's never not worth it.

Ounce for ounce, it's like, 500 times more expensive than fresh garlic. That alone is reason enough that I've never tried it. If I buy a head of garlic for .69 cents, I don't really care if it goes bad. (It never will though, I put that shit in everything).

Fuck, it's even faster than that if you ask me. Just smash the garlic with the flat side of your knife. The peel comes off on its own. Want large chunks? Smash it lightly. Want small pieces? Smash it hard. It's no exaggeration to say that it takes less than 5 seconds, and that includes removing the skin.

>What is Veeky Forums's opinion on Jarred Garlic?
it belongs into the trash, seriously, together with all chinese garlic

Not a fan, but I love this.

I cant imagine any situation where using garlic in a jar would be worthwhile.

when you don't give a fuck

Yeah that works well too, I just figure if OP is talking about mincing specifically that gives an easy consistency super quickly. Either works great though. I can't fathom what kind of person would set about to cook something and then skip some of the simplest steps to making it taste amazing.

True to form, Veeky Forums repeats what they saw on TV without ever trying it themselves.
Exactly what I expected. Pure bullshit.
"I'm a super-taster! I can totally tell the difference! No jarred garlic for me, that would ruin everything!"

Why not though, does jarred preminced still not taste the same?

Those jars are also full of oil and salt. They DO have an impact on flavor and screw up ratios of your other ingredients if you are trying to follow a recipe.

i use it all the time because i'm slow as fuck when it comes to peeling and mincing garlic. no regrets.

Im being serious, im a novice to cooking.

My jar only has a tiny bit of salt in it and wouldn't the oil be negligible?

>jarred preminced still not taste the same?

Depends on what you want it for. Any food you find in a jar or a can has been cooked. That's how it survives sitting on the shelf in the market without refrigeration. That may or may not be a problem depending on the dish.

Raw garlic has a sharp acidic bite. Once the garlic is cooked this goes away and the flavor mellows out. So if you want that raw bite then jarred garlic is useless. OTOH, if you're putting it in a dish that will be cooked for a long time that doesn't really matter.

As a practical example: if you were making a vinaigrette with garlic in it then it would taste very different with raw vs. jarred. If you were putting it in a stew that cooked for a few hours it won't matter much.

I would never think of myself as a super taster. But fresh grated garlic and preserved garlic from a jar taste completely different.

>Once in a dish it's literally impossible to tell the difference.
You are so wrong. This shit ruins anything it touches. It tastes foul, and the foulness lingers.

>This shit ruins anything it touches

Now you are just repeating memes and everyone knows you have never actually tried using it

Bullshit. I let it ruin a stir fry and a pasta sauce before throwing it away. Some of the pizza places near me use it to make garlic slices and garlic knots. You can always tell. The garlic loses its bright flavor, and tastes (to me at least) dull and half spoiled. Kind of like when an old clove of garlic starts to rot and part of it turns brown - it tastes like that smells.

He's being hyperbolic, but I also think the people saying you can't tell the difference are. Is pretty correct. If it's cooking a long time it won't be noticeable. But used as a replacement for fresh garlic, it's not even close.

It just tastes not fresh. Preserved. This thread is surreal that people genuinely are trying to say it tastes no different. It's like people saying canned peaches taste exactly the same as fresh peaches and anyone claiming otherwise is a hipster memeing faggot. What the fuck... seriously.

I use a garlic press sometimes

anyone wanna fite me?

I would love to shake your hand.

Exactly. The canned vs fresh fruit comparison is spot on. I love fresh fruit, but have no interest in canned, and it's not all that hard to tell the difference. Same is true for garlic.

>and it's not all that hard to tell the difference. Same is true for garlic.

Like was posted earlier in the thread, that depends entirely on how the garlic is used.

With no or minimal cooking? Yeah. Massive difference between jarred and fresh. After it's been cooked for a long time? Different story.

I guess it depends on they type of jarred garlic used. The stuff in oil has a distinctly funky taste that does not cook off. I have never used the stuff in water like in OP pic, so I don't know about that. But if you ever tried the stuff packed in oil you'd never try it again.

I've tried both on several occasions out of circumstance. They're about the same, both are passable for cooking but pretty useless if you want to use it fresh.

lol ok 15 secobnds

I've used jarred, fresh, and powdered garlic and so far I find garlic powder to be the most useful because of it's concentrated flavor. I don't taste shit when I use fresh garlic. Jarred garlic as a jarred taste, which I do not enjoy.

first of all it's way more expensive and second of all it's flavor is way less intense. it's like hospital garlic. everything in the hospital just has LESS flavor.

How do you guys deal with the smell on your hand from Garlic? I spent a week pretty much putting garlic in everything and both my hands were just absolutely swamped in the old garlic smell.

Not to say I don't like the smell, I do. But sometimes I want my hands to smell like hands.

buy a microplane or garlic press

I bought a huge jar of minced garlic from Costco. It was suspended in citric acid, and you could always taste the citric acid in whatever you cooked it with.

I used the preminced jarred stuff sometimes because I don't always feel like preparing cloves, and it's okay, but there is definitely a difference, and fresh garlic is definitely better. Just like pretty much any analogous fresh vs canned/jarred foods.

Why are you even on a cooking board when you make posts like this? You're the one responsible for all of the Taco Bell threads, aren't you?

It definitely tastes sweeter to me than fresh minced garlic, but ultimately I'm ok with it.
I usually use it when I'm making a large quantity of food, other than that, I'll just mince my own or put it through a press.

rub your hands on your sister's dirty panties 3-4 times. works great.

as a non-american i'm fucking disgusting by this shit

also "garlic powder", though that is far worse in my opinion

personally i would never buy it for several reasons:

- way, way more expensive than fresh garlic
- cannot know the quality of the garlic used, but i definitely can if i get it fresh from a farmers market
- people will say it's bullshit, but i taste a difference. maybe its placebo, idk.
- that garlic will leak water and fuck with your foods texture

a friend of mine recently made his own garlic confit and that shit was incredibly fucking cash. so yeah, garlic in a glass ain't necessarily terrible.

i get it if you use this minced garlic shit for pasta sauces or dishes that cook forever anyway, but why would you ever use it in smth with low cooking time?

posts like these just make me sad t bh

i can almost feel how much you have your life. you don't even like cooking, because if you did you'd get at least some enjoyment out of improving your knife skills...

what's even worse is that not only do you have to prop yourself up with your "real job, relationship, hobbies", like some sort of colossal faggot, you also /thread your own post,

in short, you're a full-blown cockmuncher

>My jar only has a tiny bit of salt in it and wouldn't the oil be negligible?

pretty much

i wouldnt worry bout it though

with a shitty fucking attitude like yours you'll be a novice cook for the rest of your sad life

I'm not even a very good cook and it's more than obvious that fresh garlic tastes infinitely better than garlic from a jar.

If your "job, relationships, and hobbies" won't afford you 10 seconds to increase the quality of your dishes, well I don't know what to tell you.

The moment you crush a garlic clove, it starts to lose its fragrance.
Garlic is an armoatic ingredient, and it's used mostly for the smell it gives the food.
If you preserve it, it will lose its taste, which is why it's kept like that.

If you like the flavour, that's fine. It defeats the whole point of farlic for me.
When I use garlic, I use it in small amounts to add a little sting to what I'm making. This doesn't seem like it would be nice.
Though, I live outside of the US, so we don't really have a taste for preserved food.

yeah but at least he got dubs

>Garlic is an armoatic ingredient

kek, nice meme. Unfortunately for you, science disagrees with you; Garlic isn't volatile or semi-volatile ;)

wear gloves

Stainless steel.

They even make a stainless steel bar for rubbing your hands on.

Smash the fucking cloves with a knife or cleaver to get the skin off. It doesn't take long at all that way.

It's good in some applications, and always good to have on hand in case you run out of garlic. With stir fry, you put two heaping spoonfuls in the hot oil first and then go about your merry way making the rest of it. Also good for flavoring pasta water (and yes, you can flavor pasta water purists). Also decent as a rub when you're marinading things.