Non-stick pan/skillet

I just bought this paderno ceramic coated non-stick pan. The first two eggs I fried on it were perfect and I was amazed at how non-sticky it was. Then the second two eggs I fried on it got stuck.

Are there some dos and don'ts that make non-stick pans work best or is mine just a defective pos?

In my experience ceramic nonstick is bullshit. It doesn't work very well.

The teflon coated pans do work, but they are a little delicate in that you have to be careful not to overheat them, or to scratch the coating by using metal utensils.

You still usually need to lightly wet or oil nonstick pans.

Hmm.

Thanks. This guy at this big restaurant supply store in my city said this was a good pan and that he uses it so I went with it.

I did fry the second eggs at a higher heat, but I didn't think it would make them stick.

I put some olive-oil on the pan, but because of its non-stick properties, the oil was pooling into these very slippery pools of oil.. like it wouldn't coat the pan but kept moving around freely.

Did you use any oil or butter? Like said, you DO need to use oil even if the pan is nonstick.

I don't know what ceramic means in this context. Generally I'd stay away from any synthetic coatings. Read some news some time, C8 causes cancer.

Get cast or hammered iron. Build up a patina of seasoning. Learn to regulate heat and humidity to manage sticking.

It will bead a little, but if you swirl it around it'll still make the pan smooth. Just remove excess with a paper towel, if it's too much.

Gonna experiment with that next.

I dunno man it's just some ceramic shit... I guess I gotta research that reaaaaal sooon

Ceramic nonstick surfaces use nano structures and do not contain PFOA. They are a recent development and will probably improve a lot in the coming years. The coatings have already gotten noticeably thicker with more layers that will be abraded over the lifespan.

Using frying fats in nonstick pans shortens their lifespan considerably. It's a catch 22: The fats will gunk up the nonstick surface with polymerized and burned residue. You can clean that off, but this damages the surface even more. You cannot heat Teflon hot enough to burn that away, you might be able to with ceramic nonstick coockware if it doesn't have plastic handles. Just try it in the oven on self cleaning.

> Are there some dos and don'ts that make non-stick pans work best or is mine just a defective pos?

Do buy Teflon. Don't buy "ceramic" (most are made with organic materials, except the Thermolon pans, but those suck too).

Read the Amazon reviews for ceramic pans.

>The fats will gunk up the nonstick surface with polymerized and burned residue

Only if you overheat the pan.

And the fats are absolutely required for proper cooking even if you had a magically perfect pan that never stuck. It's not just for the purpose of preventing sticking--in fact that's probably the least important job that cooking fats do. More importantly:

1) the liquid fat fills the tiny gaps between the food and the hot pan. This improves the thermal conductivity between the food and the pan. (think of it like heat sink compound if you ever built your own PC). That helps the food cook faster and more evenly.

2) the fat adds flavor to the food.

Just buy a teflon pan, but don't try to sear your steak with it or scratch it with metal utensils.

Both points are absolutely correct. Yet it still damages the pan. Nonstick pans are made to be used without fat. You can ignore that and buy a new one every few years, or keep using it although the nonstick properties are severely lessened.

If you have Teflon cookware left in your kitchen you should throw it away. It has finally been proven in court to be harmful. Search for DuPont and C8 if you want to know more. Same goes for old outdoor fibers.

And don't overheat your pan. The oil will go bitter and become unhealthy.

Does't teflon cause the cancer ;)

I like this post. Thank ya darlin'.

But, dude there's no way they expect me to cook eggs on this with no oil... right?

Only if you heat it up to 500-600 degrees or higher.

Just don't be a retard and understand what no-stick pans are supposed to be used for.

This. Almost all of my cookware is stainless steel with no nonstick properties, but by getting heat right I can do fried eggs with no sticking whatsoever. There are a few things that do require a non stick surface (crepes come to mind) but they are few and far between.

>olive oil
>smoke point is 375
So technically I could deep fry stuff with olive oil?

Try burning it off after cleaning. Never scrub the pan.

You could, but it probably wouldn't taste how you'd like.

I wouldn't.

The subtle flavors olive oil is used for are lost at much lower temperatures. I don't heat mine above 140.

The right way to use olive oil is to apply it on the plate.

>>smoke point is 375
That's REFINED olive oil. And yes, you could deep fry thing is in it. It has a neutral flavor.

It's only Extra-virgin that you should not heat up. Normal (aka refined or "light") olive oil is fine for sauteing, frying, etc.

I wish I could invite one of you fine gentlemen over to my place to cook me some lunch.

Funny, I've got the exact opposite experiences.

How on earth does your stove get hot enough to damage ceramic?

> DuPont and C8

Sucks for the people working in and living around the factories using it, but supposedly we have much more PFOA in our bodies than non stick cookware can explain. So until we fix the other pathways worrying about Teflon pans seems useless.