Lets talk stews

Lets talk stews

Let's talk Jews.

Fuck off /pol/

Beef, potato/yam, carrot, celery, peas, corn, garlic, onion, basil, oregano black pepper, paprika, cayenne if you're spicy, thyme if you're cool. Throw it in a pot. Bay leaves for taste.

Simmer for 12 hours.

Eat.

>no liquid

why? it's fucking summer in 1st world land.

Jew jokes on Veeky Forums have been around far longer than /pol/ has.

I see no jokes in this thread

don't simmer fresh herbs for 12 hours

I just stewed a beef shank, an onion and two carrots for two hours.

Can I add more veggies for the base stew later? Couldn't go shopping today and the meat needed cooking.

Being this daft

Any good online guide for how to generally use herbs? I suck at the whole herbal thing.

Stews are ver versatile, giving you food for a week and are also comparatively cheap.

>Can I add more veggies for the base stew later?

Yes. In fact, that's typical. If you add veggies to long-simmered stews then they end up like mush, so you usually add them later in the cooking process so they're done at the same time the meat is done.

>>OP
watery slop. nothing worse than a runny watery stew.

Thing is the average German stew starts with a piece of beef a large carrot, an onion and a celery root which will be cooked for about 2 hours.

The veggies will then be dicarded for proper veggies when then boil nicely in the tasty base stew.

The problem is that today, I only have the veggies for the base stew, i just want to make the whole thing more tasty tomorrow.

>i just want to make the whole thing more tasty tomorrow
veggie stock pot

How clever. [spoiler]My granny actually secretly puts it into stews[/spoiler]

Oxtail stew. Shallots, ginger, garlic, carrot, red wine vinegar, tomato puree, chicken stock.

Someone try this recipe, you will be in heaven. I'll even talk you through it step by step.

>no gf

Step-by-step pls if possible.

Coriander leaves/cilantro, chives/green onions/scallions and parsley are all used as herbs, right? And they're tender, aren't they? Think for a minute: when are they added to a dish?
Right: either just before serving or right at the end of cooking.

As far as soups, stews, sauces, sautés and stir-fries are concerned and using tender herbs (which are just about all of them but rosemary, laurels, lime leaves and a handful of a few others), you add them at the very end, just before serving.
More strongly flavoured tender herbs, like sage, mint and thyme, can be added nearer the beginning, but can still benefit from the general rule of adding at the tail-end of cookery.

Hope this helps.

Thank you,indeed helpful so the rule for basil applies to other herbs as well.

why not?

Jew stews?

Not enough protein

Can we talk about real Irish stew?

If you explain, yes.

Recipe for roughly 1.3 kg or thee very large pieces.

Ingredients:

Red wine vinegar

Tomato puree

Shllots

garlic

ginger

salt

oxtail

chicken stock.

Fry the Oxtail segments on high heat for about 45 seconds. Then remove from pot.

Turn down flame a little bit to medium high. Add 5 whole shallots, chopped (very thickly) carrot, chopped ginger around the size of two fingeres (3/4 cm thick), 3/4 of a bulb of garlic cloves,

after 40 seconds, turn down heat to low, add 4 and a halt table spoons of tomato puree, 150 ml of red wine vinegar, water, just to cover the meat, and three chicken stock cubes, or equivealent chicken stock. Add salt (you know how much)

Adjust heat to let it simmer. Cook for a few hours until the meat is tender. the liquid will thicken and reduce to less than half when done.

That looks disgusting

Is there a clear distinction between stew and soup?

the viscosity of the liquid

How so? Soups can have nearly any viscosity. You have thin stuff like, say, Wonton. Then you have thick pureed soups like any sort of bisque. Or chowder.

Stew has large chunks of meat or fish.

Not in English, I don't think, but some languages do.

It's summer time. What's there to talk about?