inexpensive

> inexpensive
> Extremely nutritious
> Taste surprisingly good
> Can incorporate in to almost any recipe

What's your excuse Veeky Forums?

It's pretty cheap too. I keep finding it at 50¢ per batch (roughly 6 leaves).

Goes great in stir fry. The stems too.

It tastes like ass, I'll stick to my tendies thx

I like the rough kale, but I don't like the curly kale. Anybody else? I prefer the kind of more unique texture.

They don't sell it where I live
I eat chard instead

It's amazing.
I add a dash of sriracha or chopped candied bacon to mine, even hubby likes it! xD

>Taste surprisingly good

Eh, I like as much as the next hippie, but kale tasting good isn't one of its traits. It's bitter tasting which I sometimes enjoy but not much for other people. They're just used to everything tasting like sugar.

It tastes like anything you want to user

Fry it in garlic and have it with pasta and parmesan

I always massage my kale with some olive oil.

>can incorporate into almost any recipe
This is the kind of shitty thought process that makes people hate it, and I hate you.

You name any meal, i'll tell you how you can incorporate it into the recipe.

incorporate doesn't mean, 'makes it better'. i can incorporate kale into my sex life if i fuckin really wanted to, for gods sake.

and if you think it does, you're enchanted with it like a little autistic kid who doesn't know any better.

How exactly do you do this? Just run your hands over it with olive oil and then put it in a bowl?

I tried making a kale salad recently and the kale was tough and overall poorly tasting.

You name any meal, i'll tell you how you can incorporate it into the recipe.

Mac n cheese

>the kale was tough and overall poorly tasting

You, like Hitler, did nothing wrong. That's why kale is shitty and everyone hates it.

DUDE

You've gotta treat the kale like you would a fine woman. That is the secret of all cooking

>Mac n cheese

Slice kale into bite size pieces, mix into the mac.

So beating it will also work?

my sex life

I'm a wizard. Never had a gf.

>my sex life

Blend kale into a puree, fill a syringe with it, inject contents directly into urethra, then next time you ejaculate it'll be spermy kale.

which urethra

Of course.

Then exactly as you'd treat your waifu.

you SCRUNCH IT

SCRUNCH THE KALE

GRAB AND CRUSH

Does the rough come in big enough sizes to make wraps?

Wraps with the curly are okay, but it always breaks.

> 2016
> Falling for the nutrition meme

I always have a bag of this in my freezer. Quick easy lunch. I add some sour cream, hot sauce, and sliced avocados on top.

I like kale smoothies OP but it's not the best leaf green by far

Am I being meme'd?

? I don't get it.

It's just that those foods trended pretty hard in the last two years and people like to sperg about them on this board (quinoa, kale, and avocados not to mention such a simple dish in instant-microwave form).

That being said, looks pretty good. I make variants of kale and quinoa sometimes, usually with different variants like some beef and chili. Not sure why you wouldn't just make a big batch and freeze some.

How do you tell when kale is in ripe? Sometimes I'll see it at the store and it looks very pale. Is it better to be dark green? Or bright green? I assume if it's yellow-ish then it's going bad.

bruh its a leaf

oh yeah i understand. i've been buying this stuff for a while now. the avocados i just add because they go well with the hot sauce/sour cream and they're great for morning sickness.

My mom's tendies don't have any of that crap

>inexpensive

Salted kale chips or lightly broiled any day.

I eat it with spinach and other leafy greens. I can only eat rwa veggies after work and before dinner, so I'll eat a salad while I make the main course.

One of the benefits of being single is that you can multitask the cooking and eating into a short process.

I like kale soup

And sometimes I make kale shakes

Overpriced, tastes like cardboard. Worst green there is. I do eat it but only the chopped frozen kind, and only when pressure cooked to reduce the cardboardness.

Quinoa is a scam, amaranth is the same thing except smaller seeds and half the price.

I eat kale all the time. 2 bucks a bunch is nice for the amount you get.

I like to make soup with it, cabbage, spinach, lentils, and Portuguese chorizo. A lot of the time i just cut them long and fry it on high with a lot of olive oil and way too much pepper. Delicious like that.

>paying for vegetables, especially one of the easiest to grow
Why?

Some of us live in south-facing apartments.

I love kale. The problem is it's seasonal and that season is pretty short, and I'm just not fond of the greenhouse stuff.

>inexpensive

Not in Canada. Usually $2 per bunch which contains almost nothing.

It taste fine of you harvest the young leaves. The big ones taste like ass.

That doesn't matter to kale. I grow it in January in maine. You could probably grow it in your damn fridge if you rigged the light to stay on. Here's some kale that I've been growing underneath a thick patch of tomatoes.

Nutrition-wise, I prefer spinach. Kale seems more like turnip or collard greens to me. Bitter, and harder to work with, overall. Spinach is so easy...raw, just cut it up. Mix with tomato in a salad. Cooked, just add a bit of garlic and salt, then do whatever.

A bag of spinach is roughly about the same as a bag of kale...but you can do so much more with spinach...unless you're a fit freak just buy spinach. Kale is like one of those things bought in a fresh bunch, on a whim...

Doesn't kale block iodine?

Enjoy your goiters, retards.

50¢ for 6 leaves isn't cheap enough?

They're pretty big leaves and the stems are thick.

Me and my mate got drunk once, opener 4 bags of kale and left them in his room and forgot about them. A couple days later his room stank of it to the point where I nearly threw up. Ever since then I can't stand the smell of kale

It can cause hypothyroidism and kidley stones

That's why I drink 4 liters of water a day

That's not What He's saying. I can incorporate any ingredient into any recipe, doesn't mean it's good.

Try chocolate cake.

Well fuck, another thing I have to stop eating. Thanks a lot, nerds.

Why? You realize that there's a middle ground between eating-6-pounds-a-day-so-you-get-sick vs. never eating it all, right?

ALL foods have health risks if over-consumed. Eat them, just don't eat them all the time, every day.

are you retarded

It is the best in smoothies

This Viet lady at a produce stand down the street just gave me a free 2lb bag of kale yesterday cuz she's awesome.
I use it to make numerous things.

If the leaves are as big as the ones I normally get, that would weigh about a half pound, so it's a pretty normal price, actually.

I make kale extract for use in other things, but never smoothies. I can't imagine drinking kale as a smoothie and it actually being tasty.

>kale as a smoothie
Not just kale, silly. Make a regular, yummy fruity smoothie, and add as much kale as you desire.

You probably should stick to spinach for smoothies

Kale needs to be cooked or else it's bitter and keeps your body from absorbing iodine

I've tried spinach in it before... didn't like it, but I might give it another go.

>Kale needs to be cooked or else it's bitter and keeps your body from absorbing iodine
I knew the first part, but I didn't know that regarding the iodine.

Not sure that would really be up my lane, but if you like it, you go ahead and do it.

I make kale extract out of it, though, and I'd guess that sounds just as odd to you as having kale with fruits does to me.

What if you blanch and shock it? I do that as part of the process for making the extract I keep bringing up so that it's brightly green.

blanching is fine AFAIK

>tastes surprisingly good

How do you cook it user?

tasted like shit, not that I hate bitter foods, I'd totally scarf that shit, but heres the thing. Its really really overpoweringly bitter, so I fear it's going to overpower any taco or sandwich i shove it in. Now on the complete other hand this shit is amazing boiled or steamed. I recommend anyone, litterally anyone making gumbo, dirty rice, or beans and rice, to wash the gritty shit off of that, cut it up into decent chunks, and throw that shit in near the end so it just has enough time to get nice and soft but wont overcook and turn to mush. Otherwise for sandwiches I just tend to spinach.

What kale are you buying that's bitter? I'm not sure I've ever had bitter kale. What other foods do you consider bitter? I've now started to wonder if I've a muted ability for detecting bitterness.