Why should I try hard at work?

I had my annual review last week and scored way above all my coworkers, rave reviews on quality and quantity of work, etc.

At the end of the meeting they want to end it and I hit them with "Well with these added responsibilities, as well as my strong performance at my usual tasks, I'd like to talk increased compensation."

They say they simply "can't" do it, just not in the budget. We are a truly shitty company and I don't doubt that's true, but come on, I am literally our best employee at the job I do and I'm still being paid entry-level.

Am I retarded? What did I do wrong? What's stopping me from shutting down and just working at the normal retard-level my peers put out? Save me from insanity, please.

You shouldn't

Nice thumbnail faggot.

You need leverage. Apply to other jobs and show them the offers. If they truly value you, when they think you actually might jump ship they'll try to retain you

Have you done this? Just curious what wearing my lack of loyalty on my sleeve is gonna do for the office politics.

Instantly start looking for another job in your field. Like right now. Kiss that shittastic job goodbye, you're probably just gonna get dragged down with your retard-level peers.

That is the definition of office politics. It's part of the game. They're not family either so no reason to play nice. It's also your life, in the grand scheme of things. Don't waste it getting paid peanuts if you know for a fact that you're worth more.

if you're nmot being paid what you believe you deserve, just leave. although what's more likely is that you're too stupid to see that you're a shit employee

Leave the stupid fuckers. I do design work, old company went out of business and just took a low paying design job in the mean time. Three months go by and I ask for a raise and they say no. Immediately applied to other jobs and got an offer for almost double the pay. I go back and tell them and they basically said, “we can find someone who does your same work for less”. Quite and work for new place. Literally for an entire year they’ve been buying adds in two papers trying to fill my spot. They even called me back saying they need a designer for a new start up they’re working on. Learn to spot retards and avoid them.

Thanks guys, appreciate the advice. I'll find a couple other jobs and then come back to my current boss in a diplomatic, but forceful, way.

Just such a slap in the face to get your dick sucked every way but financially. They love to tell me how great I am, but they don't want to pay.

so what's your job and what are they currently paying you?

Started as a type of call centre job, but now I do more training and data analysis, as well as working with Engineering on bug fixes. Annual salary is about 45K (CAD), but overtime put me over 50.

My coworkers are paid the same and are infinitely worse. No reason for me to lie, so let's just LARP along and believe me that they do about half the work (and poorly), and they have terrible social skills when dealing with clients / end-users.

haha. never go full retard mode. I hope you learned from your mistake OP you faggot.

yeah if you have half a brain and can do data analysis, you should be able to get $70k i'd think, even if you are fairly early in career. i diddle in Excel all day for $150k, but i'm also an old man

Job market is all about leverage, you have zero leverage in discussions if you are unwilling to leave, and of course you can't leave until you have another offer. If they need you they will magically find the money to keep you.

Since you're so enlightened, point my mistake out for me. Is it a mistake to ask for more money when you demonstrably deserve it? Why are we even on biz if we hate money

Also if you find a better paying job and they try to match, don’t stay. They might be paying you the same as the job offer you received (or more) but might be scheming to replace you as soon as possible.

join the alt right

It really depends on your boss. If they're a vindictive mother fucker they may meet your offer to keep you on hand then slowly ruin your life subtly just because they are insulted

Listen to this OP or at least have a contingency plan and be aware they may try and get rid of you first chance they get

You aren't as valuable as you think you are if you aren't ready to sacrifice your small feeble chariot and walk the grounds for a few moments only to climb into a larger stronger chariot.

Yeah this is what I've heard. As soon as you mention you've looked elsewhere you're seen as a disloyal rat, even though they would drop an employee without thinking twice.

Any advice on how to handle a recommendation? I feel like it might be nice to get one in writing now before they see what I'm plotting, but I hear they're legally not allowed to lie, so I don't know why I wouldn't just let them do it later? That might be retarded, actually. I'm new to all of this.

When you ask for a raise you better be ready to walk away right then and there. This isn't a negotiation. It's a demand. I've walked off the job just to be called back once they realized I was serious.

Don't try hard at work, the average worker is getting cucked by corporate america. Start your own business.

This

There's no loyalty in business. They'd fire you, wipe your hard drive and company cell phone, and tell you to wait in the lobby while a security guard brings you a box of your belongings, and not think twice about it. Fucking loyalty. Work is about making money. Nothing else.

Don't bother. Companies DO NOT CARE ABOUT YOU. There is literally no reason to work hard for them unless you truly believe that the work you are doing is benefiting society in some way or are getting adequate compensation for the amount of work you are doing. Otherwise fuck it. Do the bare minimum necessary to keep your job.

You can take the promotion, acquire some experience and use that as a stepping stone to find something that pays more elsewhere. Try to make the best of your situation.

>be wagecuck at big cumpany for 2 years
>they changed my payscale, no longer comission based, but based on whether or not I can hit sales plan
>hit sales plan every week under old system, never hit it in the new one
>stop giving a fuck
>get fired
>get 2 letters saying they overpaid me twice (because plan acheivement is calculateed retroactively)
>Owe them $600 for the privelege of working their
>find out I'm not fully vested in 401k, there goes my crypto nest egg

wagecucking: not even once

I had to do this a couple of years ago at my job. I scheduled the meeting, went to my boss and said "I am having a really hard time making ends meet right now. I absolutely love this place and my job, but I have been getting hounded by a company trying to recruit me with a VERY competitive offer. I don't want the job, but I need the money they are begging me to take. Do you think we can talk about me getting some kind of raise?"

I had a ton of leverage though. If you don't have any, you really won't ever be able to get that raise. 20% of the employees account for 80% of the productivity. If you are apart of the 20% and they are willing to lose you over a few bucks, they aren't worth your time anyways and will ALWAYS treat you like shit.