Wtf I hate Nutella now

Wtf I hate Nutella now

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutella#Class_action_lawsuit
cbsnews.com/news/nutella-health-claims-net-305-million-settlement-in-class-action-lawsuit/
washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/food/nutella-imported-vs-domestic-is-there-a-difference/2014/05/30/3fe79e68-e5bb-11e3-8f90-73e071f3d637_story.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aflatoxin
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iraqi_biological_weapons_program
cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5334a4.htm
health.harvard.edu/blog/organic-food-no-more-nutritious-than-conventionally-grown-food-201209055264
peanutbutter.com/products.php
fda.gov/Food/GuidanceRegulation/GuidanceDocumentsRegulatoryInformation/Allergens/ucm362880.htm
twitter.com/AnonBabble

In case you were wondering, things that taste sweet tend to have sugar in them.

>low fat cocoa
wut

>not buying Nocciolata

If you did one of these for your moms ass it's be like 90% my dick.

I was hyped for this when I first tried it, but the oil is really fucking awful. It's literally a really fucking slick and wet cake frosting.

What about that could possibly be surprising to you? Do you even cook?

>mfw Soccer mom think nutella is healthier for their kids than cereal just because it has hazelnuts

( ̄□ ̄;)

:DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Nutella was always diabeetus: the spread

Well based on nutella consistency alone I always assumed it was at least half sugar.
That fancy gelato you love so much is pretty much the same

you really had to shoehorn that joke in there.

in b4 shoehorning stuff into your mom etc.

source?

xDDD

>amerifats surprised

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutella#Class_action_lawsuit

It's only about 5% fat and 12-13% added sugar.
What are you on about?
American ice cream has far more fat and added sugar than Italian ice cream yet is paradoxically less tasty.

I like you.

Do you still like preserves?

160g of sugar in the 270g pot too, meh.

YOU couln'dt tell that it's mostly sugar and has weird texture due to the palm oil?

Yeah, but that's a LOT of sugar, few things have as much sugar per volume as nutella does

>18g sugar in a 34g serving

lol I ruined Nutella for my girlfriend when I told her it was just palm oil, sugar, and a bit of cocoa and hazelnuts.

I love how they convinced people it was a healthy part of breakfast.

What the fuck?
Do people think nutella is actually healthy?

cbsnews.com/news/nutella-health-claims-net-305-million-settlement-in-class-action-lawsuit/

Typically you don't use too much Nutella in what you're cooking, or if you're using half or the whole jar, you're more than likely splitting the dessert into smaller pieces when it's finished. It really isn't that bad. Unless you're a fatass and eat the whole thing yourself in one or two sittings it won't kill you.

The advertising for it has been on point

Fair, personally I can't stand the stuff straight up, even in small amounts, just too damn sweet. I've had good deserts with it used though.

144g

I work at a Nutella Café and we are encouraged by the brand not to comment on palm oil and sugar content.

As a kid I never ate nutella despite loving chocolate in a not-entirely platonic way. I finally bought a jar one time and when I tasted it I instantly associated it with canned frosting in taste and texture.

Apart from the corn syrup and hazelnuts, it IS frosting.

Question: Why does US Nutella taste so much worse than European Nutella?

It's not a healthy breakfast but none of the ingredients are particularly bad unless you consume the whole thing in one sitting.

There's a very real chance that it's because the Yurop version has transfats:
washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/food/nutella-imported-vs-domestic-is-there-a-difference/2014/05/30/3fe79e68-e5bb-11e3-8f90-73e071f3d637_story.html

PB>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>...>>>>>dog shit>>>>>>>>>>>nutella

So peanut butter is just really salty nuts?

Depends on whether or not you get organic PB or not, but generally it's almost exactly the same

Obviously organic is gonna be less salty and sugary than one with preservatives in it though

>Obviously organic is gonna be less salty and sugary than one with preservatives in it though
That's not true at all. Why do you people make ridiculous statements like that?

>ingredients
>same fucking ingredients as op's pic for nutella

What's your point?

but not organic.

Organic is a meme

Organic doesn't count when it's garbage that's pure calories. It's not even organic lard which at least has lotsa extra vitamin D.

Except it literally is true

just like camping dads think ginger ale is healthier than cola because... I don't know why

Now do that for every variety of organic versus non-organic peanut butter instead of just pretending that a single sample proves your general statement is correct.

niglets, I'm not saying organic is special. homeskillet said that it's the same shit. It's not. One's organically sourced and the other isn't. That's the big difference between the two products.

HEY! At least it's GLUTEN FREE! Why do you have to persecute the gluten free candy spread?

Organic mainly means it has more nutrients. That means jack shit for ingredients that have no nutritional worth. And it makes a difference for things like Peaches, Apples and Lettuce which would otherwise have lots of pesticide on them, and same thing but far moreso for meat which takes those pesticides, and cram it together more and more like a battery.

That's some high quality bullshit friend. Do you work at a healthfood store?

What kind of a retarded monkey assumes that 'gluten free' automatically implies 'good for you'?

That label is only there to let certain people know that they can eat that product. Whether they SHOULD eat that product is an entirely different matter.

>vegan
>not vegan
Is any of this sinking in yet?

I hate to break it to you brah, but organic peanut butter is the LAST thing you want to be buying for your health.

There are moulds on peanuts (Aspergillus flavus and Aspergillus parasiticus), which grow in soil. If you have moist peanuts being stored without fungicide, then you seriously run the risk of poisoning yourself with toxins they make called aflatoxins. They are seriously bad for human health, to the point they have been weaponized for bio-weapons and damage your liver mainly, but have been associated with everything from liver cancer to stunted growth.

Organic peanut butter is the number one source of exposure in humans.

So have fun with your 'healthy' peanut butter.

Preservatives and pesticides exist for a reason dumbass.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aflatoxin

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iraqi_biological_weapons_program

cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5334a4.htm

BTFO retard

health.harvard.edu/blog/organic-food-no-more-nutritious-than-conventionally-grown-food-201209055264

I am going to take Harvard's advice over a stranger on an inuit ice carving enthusiast newsletter.

How does that stuff survive the roasting?

There's only 8 different peanut butters on the market?

Shit, aren't there like five different kinds of Jiff alone?

>they make bio-weapons out of fucking peanut butter

Dunno amerilard you tell me, you've already been BTFO so what does it matter

Oh, well, that justifies your organic candy spread just so brilliantly!

Hmm...so there's 13 different kinds of Skippy peanutbutter.
peanutbutter.com/products.php

I'm curious, what exactly do you think BTFO means? Because that general statement still is factually incorrect.

>There are moulds on peanuts (Aspergillus flavus and Aspergillus parasiticus), which grow in soil. If you have moist peanuts being stored without fungicide, then you seriously run the risk of poisoning yourself with toxins they make called aflatoxins. They are seriously bad for human health, to the point they have been weaponized for bio-weapons and damage your liver mainly, but have been associated with everything from liver cancer to stunted growth.
Thankfully mycotoxins such as aflatoxin are rigorously tested in first world countries and exposure is minimized.

I am a PhD candidate in a lab renowned for research of mycotoxigenic fungi. Mycotoxins are serious but if the product is from N. America you don't have to worry.

I'd be more worried about corn products from Mexico.

>t. monsanto propagandist

>that is what I said

Reading comprehension no too sharp their buddy?

I said Aflatoxins are dangerous enough to be engineered into bio-weapons.

I said nothing about making it from peanut butter, though the same fungi are used.

The fungi won't. The toxins are formed during storage before roasting and can survive the process.

Okay, okay, fine asshole! Fuck you! There have have it your way, I fucking GOT IT, it oughta be organic, gluten free, AND vegan! Fine, smartass! So the skim milk powder needs to be replaced with soy milk powder. Do it faggot!

And if the peanuts were grown in a third world shithole before being processed in the US?

Is every shipment tested?

No, I haven't been shilling for Nutella at all. I like it, but it is unhealthy so I eat it in moderation and very rarely buy it.

>knowing about possible threats to food supply makes me a shill

Shouldn't you be on /pol/ writing
>$0.02 has been deposited in your account
You vapid cretin.

Aren't you the same user that typed pic related, or was at least in the thread?

Yes, shipments are tested to meet import requirements. EU requirements are exceedingly strict to "protect the public" but it is really a protectionist measure. Unfortunately, warming climate means they are finding lots more fumonisin in areas where it was historically absent.

Mycotoxins are a serious public health issue and governments with their shit together do not mess around with this. America isn't going to import aflatoxin-laden peanuts from African countries or other places known to have issues. They test.

yeah that was me.

Didn't some dogs die a few years ago from imported peanuts used n their feed?

And the point is that the risk is increased with organic, vs traditional crops treated with fungicides.

Would you disagree with this statement?

I mean this statement ws presumably prompted by the 2013 outbreak in yurope, including farms in the netherlands right?

And in the same year wasn't there also a recall of dogfood from a Kansas processing site?

I just seriously doubt it is worth taking the risk for no benefit whatsoever, outside of feeling like a smug hipster who doesn't into food science that is.

Neat. As soon as I read your post I thought you were the same guy from before. Do you think going into mycology-related fields is a good idea? Your posts made me interested in it.

>Didn't some dogs die a few years ago from imported peanuts used n their feed?
Pet food regulations aren't the same as those for people. It's shitty but true, that's why I buy high-quality, grain-free dog food.

>And the point is that the risk is increased with organic, vs traditional crops treated with fungicides.
I'm not very familiar with peanut cultivation, harvest, and processing methods. It depends on the fungicides used, when they are applied, if they sufficient residues exist when stored, etc.

I am not aware of aflatoxin levels in conventional versus organic peanuts, it's worth looking at in Google Scholar. Conceivably, post-harvest fungicide application should keep contamination and subsequently mycotoxin levels down.

It's clearly not a perfect system, I mean look at all the outbreaks going on and things associated with Chinese products. I personally don't worry about mycotoxin exposure from products originating from N. America, although I don't eat many peanut-containing products.

The more south you go, the more you are going to find aflatoxin issues. Aspergillius typically like warm climates.

I'll be defending my PhD shortly. Honestly, I'm pretty jaded and stressed at this point, so I'm not my normal optimistic self.

I love my field and my work, but being in a small field means less competition but of course less job opportunities. The job market overall is pretty weak, so I'm expecting at least 1-2 years of post-docs before I find a permanent job.

Going into research often means you are in a job market that is dictated by job openings. I'm ambitious and hungry, so if I want to get a research position I can't just knock on doors or network.

If I want to do research, I'm basically limited to government or academia. Of course you can find your own niche or go the private route (e.g.: Ecovations).

That's totally end-of-PhD pessimism talking, but it is something to really consider when thinking of going down this route. All the education then some years of post-doc and maybe you'll get a good research job. I'm not in it for the money or my health, but some security or light-at-the-end-of-the-tunnel would be a bit more reassuring.

That said, I really do love what I do. Cancer research sells itself, but it is kind of fun to sell my research and its importance to people who are basically ignorant about all things fungi. Our world and society is shaped immensely by fungi, but most people know nothing about them.

I'm going to go to sleep but feel free to ask some more questions if you are interested and I'll check this thread tomorrow.

Keep at it bro. I am sure you will find something.

With the increased interest in non-pasturised fermented products etc. I could see some work in the private sector and at least you will know you have the intellectual horse power to do a PhD...

Since most fungus (and bacteria) thrive in warmer climates, are there any that thrive in colder climates? If not, does fungus growth work the same as bacteria growth (as in it slows down the colder it gets, then dies/stops once it hits a certain temperature)?

Is there no way to get rid of toxins once they're created by the fungus? Do you have to get rid of the entire batch once the toxins are present? (I know it's a given for food products, but what about other things? Using the peanuts from above, for example: if you have a rectangular bin of peanuts, and you discover Aspergillus on the far end of the bin of peanuts (say, 1/3). Can you simply remove that third and a portion of the peanuts next to the third and use the remaining peanuts? Or does it not work like that?)

Are there certain foods and products you avoid, due to how easy it can be contaminated or how screwed you are if you happen to get an (extremely unlikely) contaminated batch (like garlic preserved in oil and botulism)?

How do you feel about home canning and safety concerning avoiding contamination? Are you already screwed if you get unlucky enough to get contaminated food product and can it?

What's you opinion on all of the outbreaks that have been happening in the past few years? Too many? Unlikely/rare happenings? Processors/producers are negligent/lazy with upkeep?

Are there certain food products to avoid completely or as much as possible when travelling to certain countries due to the likelihood of contamination?

I thought that pet food was more strictly regulated than human food due to animals being more 'sensitive' to fungus/bacteria/toxins?

Are you more paranoid with food due to how much you know?

Do you like Nutella?

It's a shame there isn't more for fields that are incredibly important to us, but it's good to know that people who care (not sure how to put that) are in those fields and that you love your work.

I've recently been keeping a giant bowl of pistachios on my TV table, like several pounds of pistachios. It might take me a few months to eat them, will i get the asperger toxins if I take too long?

Any interesting stories?

I don't have any questions, I would just like you to drop some mad shit in here and be interesting some more

i have never eaten nutella,how does it taste?its impossibloe to find where i live

yes iirc the ads focus on the milk powder and nuts as nourishing ingredients. people really do believe what commercials tell them.

>grind cocoa beans
>press out pulp go get cocoa butter
>remaining briquette is cocoa powder

The cocoa butter is used in chocolate production and other things. The cocoa powder is what you put into your milk as a child.

I should cook with lard more..

At no point could you ever have actually believed nutella wasnt the worst thing for you ever

Well wtf else did she think it was made of? Why didn't she just check the ingredients?
This entire thread makes my head hurt
I used to love nutella as a young kid but after I turned like 15 I realised there are better ways to enjoy hazelnuts and chocolate without the taste being ruined by a truckload of sugar and weirdly-textured grease. I don't mean to sound like some kind of snob but I refuse to believe there are adult humans who can't detect that nutella is 90 % sugar and grease by tasting it and actually need someone to "surprise" them by breaking the "news".

Imo the EU version is thinner and the taste of hazelnut is more clear. The US version actually just tastes like pure frosting. I can't make out the hazelnut flavour at all and even the chocolate flavour is completely overwhelmed by the sugar and grease.
I have seen it claimed that the EU version is sweeter or more chocolatey, though I disagree. Buzzfeed made video challenging Italians and Americans to taste both Italian nutella and usa nutella and guess which is which. A surprising amount of people couldn't tell (even italians) or were saying the italian version was sweeter or more chocolatey and therefore guessing it to be the usa version, but others claimed usa nutella was sweeter. But I think the difference is very clear. I always liked EU nutella better even when I was too young to know whether or not EU food is "supposed" to taste better, before anyone accuses me of just imagining the difference.

Like frosting. At least in USA. If you want to taste how nutella tastes without the shitty parts/how it SHOULD taste, just grind up some hazelnuts and add cocoa powder, milk, and just a bit of sugar. Therr are recipes online for "healthy" or "homemade" nutella.

He was kidding
the amount of shit I'm starting to see "gluten free" on is getting ridiculous though. I saw it on fucking coconut milk. I mean do companies not expect people with allergies to gluten to at least know what it is and where it would reasonably be found? Or is it more like a "handled in gluten-free facility" certification?

Not him but bacteria that thrive in the cold are called psychrophiles.

Obviously it tastes better you fucking moron.

Also, it's "you're".

>Or is it more like a "handled in gluten-free facility" certification?

fda.gov/Food/GuidanceRegulation/GuidanceDocumentsRegulatoryInformation/Allergens/ucm362880.htm
>"gluten-free" [is defined] as meaning that the food either is inherently gluten free; or does not contain an ingredient that is: 1) a gluten-containing grain (e.g., spelt wheat); 2) derived from a gluten-containing grain that has not been processed to remove gluten (e.g., wheat flour); or 3) derived from a gluten-containing grain that has been processed to remove gluten (e.g., wheat starch), if the use of that ingredient results in the presence of 20 parts per million (ppm) or more gluten in the food. Also, any unavoidable presence of gluten in the food must be less than 20 ppm.
That very last line suggests that gluten may be present in the facility that manufactures the product. So, nope.

Why does this label bother you?

Just a quick one:
>Since most fungus (and bacteria) thrive in warmer climates, are there any that thrive in colder climates?
Of course, lots of diversity in the northern hemisphere. The fungus that causes white nose disease in bats, Pseudogymnoascus destructans, is psychrophilic and won't even grow at room temperature. Makes it well suited for bat caves in northern climates and thankfully restricts its spread to S. America.

>Is there no way to get rid of toxins once they're created by the fungus? Do you have to get rid of the entire batch once the toxins are present?
It is no longer legal to "dilute" contaminated foods, e.g.: adding clean wheat to contaminated wheat to get below the maximum level.

I'm not sure about what precisely goes on at the storage end, e.g.: your bin example. I'll ask my supervisor about this, he probably has an idea.

>Are there certain foods and products you avoid
I'm pretty relaxed about it and not paranoid at all. I avoid Made In China products and Mexican corn products, but that's about it. I used to do a lot of canning and was pretty careful with the whole process.

>I thought that pet food was more strictly regulated than human food due to animals being more 'sensitive' to fungus/bacteria/toxins?
Pet foods are regulated but not more than human food, for example there is no requirement that pet foods have pre-market FDA approval. In Canada the situation is worse - animal foods are basically unregulated from a mycotoxin perspective (the public is unaware of this). But you are right, dogs are more sensitive to aflatoxin but are still regulated at the limit for human foods (20 PPB). Of course it is considered unethical to do mycotoxin sensitivity tests on dogs by the general public, so that makes it difficult to update our disease models.

Heat can destroy some mycotoxins, but the general strategy is exposure mitigation, preventing it from being a problem in the first place.

Isn't palm oil pretty bad for you? Vegetable oils usually are.

>I'm pretty relaxed about it and not paranoid at all. I avoid Made In China products and Mexican corn products, but that's about it. I used to do a lot of canning and was pretty careful with the whole process.
I avoid Made in China too, but you do realize mexican corn is the last of the non-gmo corn in the world, right? Why are you shunning it?

>mycotoxin
it's a pretty difficult issue with parrot feed too. I have a pocket theory that modern peanut processing is including this in PB, such that we have more allergies today.

>this whole thread

>If you want to taste how nutella tastes without the shitty parts/how it SHOULD taste, just grind up some hazelnuts and add cocoa powder, milk, and just a bit of sugar. Therr are recipes online for "healthy" or "homemade" nutella.
Nigger, I know you're full of self-loathing and really, really want to hate the fuck out of the US and everything it does, but:
>Nutella tastes exactly like it should.
There's a very, very good chance that the only difference between the EU and US one is that the EU one has transfats in it.
Shit like the amount of sugar is UNCHANGED.
>the difference between the two is very small
It's noticeable, but it's not as great as many of you want it to be.

>Shit was never supposed to be healthy.
It SHOULD taste like it tastes. You're not getting some kind of "authentic" taste/reducing the "shitty" (same fucking shit numbnuts) ingredients by doing it a different way.

Goddamn you're dumb.

>I avoid Made in China too, but you do realize mexican corn is the last of the non-gmo corn in the world, right? Why are you shunning it?
Fuck you're stupid. You've allowed yourself to fall so hard for the bullshit that allows people to charge a premium price for a substandard staple.

Think on this, long and hard. You're paying a premium price for a shitty version of a staple grain. You've been had guy.

natural is not the same thing as organic.
Honestly, there are organic peanut butters that also add sugar and salt. There are non-organic (the natural peanut butters you listed) that use less sugar and salt. There are peanut butters that have all kinds of preservatives etc added, and there are some that don't.

Really it is not the organic aspect of the product, but the ingredients in the product which are changing the sodium and sugar content of these labels. Organic just means there are certain pesticides farmers are not allowed to use. They can still use organic pesticides, etc.

This probably tastes amazing

That probably tastes exactly like nutella.

JoeysWorldTour ruined nutella for me