Americans cuisine

>Grilled cheese sandwich
>made in a frying pan

why

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=RllWJUvrxEY
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

There's nothing wrong with making a grilled cheese sandwich in a frying pan. Of course it isn't really a "grilled cheese" sandwich that way, but who cares.

It's due to the older, less common meaning (outside of the short-order/restuarant business) of the word 'grill' in the US, which is a large, flat cooking surface similar to a teppanyaki.
A cheese sandwich cooked on such a surface is justifiably called a 'grilled cheese sandwich.'

The reason it's still called 'grilled cheese' when done in a frying pan or on a griddle is because the vast majority of Americans don't have short-order grills in their homes.

Some Americans, however, cook a grilled cheese sandwich under the broiler of their oven. The broiler is called a grill in the UK, so there may be something to the name there, as well.

That's a cheese burger.
t. United states of the USA

youtube.com/watch?v=RllWJUvrxEY

here for your daily dose of autism

>why

The name comes from when they were items on diner menus. They were called a "grilled cheese" because they were cooked on the griddle aka "plancha grill". That's where the name comes from. It's a diner term. If you are unfamiliar with professional kitchen lingo it probably sounds odd to you.

People make them in a frying pan at home. It works the same way--a hot flat surface you cook food on. But why change the name if the fundamental nature of the food hasn't changed?

>why
I used to think this until I tried it (after seeing it on the Sims when I was 12).

tl;dr

It's also a misnomer due to the fact you can't get real cheese in the USA.

You couldn't read five sentences? That's a paragraph, son. It's not too much to ask.

You see, here's the thing about languages. They aren't an exact science. There's slang. Words have different meanings. Etc.

In restaurants, wherever you cook is usually called the "grill". It's usually a griddle, but it's called a "grill" because it's just easier to do so. Hence it's a "grilled" cheese.

no it's a flat top the grill is the grill

Or real bread, it's not even a sandwich, just greasy mess of plastics and corn sugars.

In the case of grilled cheese, it is most accurately "griddled" cheese. It is not synonymous in the US in meaning, but it has become commonplace to call things grilled in a restauranted to mean griddled, and not put over a grate over flames (our typical use of the term grilled). Buttery surface contact with the hot surface makes a lovely browned crust quite unlike a dry heat of a broiler element, salamander or toaster.

>salamander
t. Slave State.

But it's a griddle. Using the same concept of heat and sear marking grates.

Better question: do you butter the sandwich and fry it or do you melt butter in the pan and place the sandwich to fry in the hot, melted butter?

>it is most accurately "griddled" cheese.

And a "grill" is cook's slang for a griddle. It derives from the term Plancha Grill. Google it if you aren't familiar.

I prefer to put the butter on the sandwich. No need to spread it out either, just slap a pat of butter on it. When the butter melts against the pan it will evenly coat the bread.

No fuck you, a better question: what kind of butter do you use.

Whatever's cheapest. Right now, that means Aldi butter. I ain't fancy.

Another mad person because of the current medal count

keep on being second rate shithead :)