Is it true that Europeans don't have garbage disposals?

Is it true that Europeans don't have garbage disposals?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=aPhizjllzfA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

why would you ever need it

To get scenarios for horror movies.

it keeps your drains from being clogged and gets rid of excess food.

The east coast of the US doesn't have them either. Infuriating as fuck to just have food sitting in a trash can stinking up the place.

they'll never have the joy from blending a lemon in the garbage disposal and having your whole house smell good

Europeans simply throw all their waste into the streets.

It's disgusting, really.

>broke the garbage disposal trying to get rid of the shit bags
>no allowance money for a month

New houses have them typically

>tfw it's true
we don't have air conditioners either.

I live in the countryside in the UK. We just have little compost bins that are either collected when the binmen come or you add to a larger compost to use on your garden.

We dont have leftovers. everything gets sorted and recycled.

Empty cans and bottles go back to the supermarket.

I truly live in a land of autism.

I was aware of them, but never saw one IRL before moving to the US. I think we have less organic waste. I know looking at my rubbish out on collection day compared to that of all my neighbours, I throw out substantially less.

Bollocks.

>The east coast of the US doesn't have them either. Infuriating as fuck to just have food sitting in a trash can stinking up the place.
Huh? WTF kind of hellhole housing do you rent that you think the entire east coast is without disposals, as if everyone is like you of course. Talk about bad anecdotal evidence. Renter, sheesh. You probably pour grease down the drain too, not like you'll care what happens to your pipes one day soon.

The reason landlords may not put them in your unit is that you have a cheap place with minimal profit, and they aren't going to pay a plumber to replace them every other month from your stupidity.

I just empty that thing down the pipe.

Why would your drains get clogged? Food waste goes into the bin, which is emptied when full and the bag set outside to be taken away by the council.

Nice trips. And wow I had no idea they don't have garbage disposals.

Automatic dishwashers, a given luxury in the US and still quite rare in much in the world, feed into the side of a double sink with the disposal to catch debris before going down the drain, If your place is so old or antiquated to not have a built-in dishwasher that wasn't added later, you might not have a a disposal either. So, post 70s. Though they are not that expensive, a better steel unit that works like a tank will be a lot more costly to install, possibly needing an electrician and a plumber both, especially in a house without a circuit for a dishwasher near the sink already.

Dude, they're super handy for getting rid of shit like onion skins/the unused ends/potato skins (if you're not using them), and similar stuff.

>Why would your drains get clogged? Food waste goes into the bin, which is emptied when full and the bag set outside to be taken away by the council.
Not everyone scrapes pots and plates meticulously into a trash bin, but places them in dishwashers instead.

I just freeze my waste food garbage until trash day comes

>gets rid of excess food
Ever heard of a trash can?

I put all vegetable waste in a compost bin. Got an unintentional red onion plant growing out of it

....user

user, that's really dumb.

>Infuriating as fuck to just have food sitting in a trash can stinking up the place.
"the place"?? Does this mean that you don't have some external trash can so that you can remove it from inside your home to outside your home until trash day? Cans with a lid are like $8-20 at KMart dude.

been doing it for 3 years and no problems.

brb, gonna try this

They don't need a garbage disposal, they just shove all the garbage down their own eurotrash throats, fuckin lousy second world shitposters fuckin go fuck yourselves.

>We have a big clock and we make real cheese

wow what great nationbuilders you guys are lmao

It was illegal to have them in NYC until 1994

Is there even any country besides USA that has these?

>being this angry

Calm down pal

creates mustard gas

>lets needlessly complicate a fucking sewage pipe by adding a machine to it so its another thing that will break down every 3 months because im too stupid and lazy to properly deal with garbage

'murica

you could say the same thing about washing machines vs. wash basins but then again i'm not a luddite peasant on m'lord baron's lands like yourself

It's main function for me is small amounts of food left in pots/pans. It's not like you shove a whole fucking meal down there. I don't get every strand of pasta out of the pot.

>It's not like you shove a whole fucking meal down there.
I have watched people slowly feed it chicken bones.

I've literally never had to deal with clogged drains except in sinks that have garbage disposals.
It's one of those inessential things that seems convenient, but is actually just one more thing in your kitchen that you or someone else will have to fix.

Well that just seems pretty fucking retarded. The stuff I put down there is small mushy chunks of food.

dutch confirms for the netherlands

I've been around Europe, especially England. Also been living in Canada for over a year. I've still yet to see one of these things. I had a commercial-sized one at a restaurant I worked, but I think we're talking about household ones here. So what's the reason for it? Is it because Americans are too lazy to empty take out their trash when it gets smelly? It honestly seems easier than having one of these things.

I bet it's one of those things that often doesn't work as it's supposed to

we dont like wasting idiot. throwing out a bag every time food gets in it is wasteful, plus it helps with recycling.

>It honestly seems easier than having one of these things.
This is a really retarded thing to say.

American here. We don't even have them, for the most part.

I have an garbage disposal in NZ.

I hardly use it. It seems to be a pain to keep clean.

Another buddy had one but pulled it out for more cleaner/chemical storage as he has a tiny kitchen.

Maybe if you had the misfortune to live in an apartment without an outside compost/green waste bin it would be worth it. Otherwise it just seems another way to let kitchen hygiene slip for the lazy.

Seriously overated/10 in my opinion.

????? when was the last time your wasing machine broke? mine never has since i got it 7 years ago

I've literally never had mine break. Just run some fucking water when you use it and it will never break.

Holy shit I'm not the only one.

To be clear, for retarded Europeans, garbage disposals are mostly used to get rid of the little annoying scraps of food on dishes, usually when washing them. It's not lot like just we just throw wasted food in the sink and slurry it up.

bullshit I live in Vermont and I have one

>It seems to be a pain to keep clean.
Not really at all no.

Vs just taking out the green waste while you are cooking?

Ok...

Why are you shoving food down the drain in the first place?

>spray out cooking pan or soup bowl
>bits of food go down sink
>turn on disposal for 3 seconds

It's very convenient and the only reason you'd argue against it is if you hadn't had one before.

vs. scraping food into the trash while washing dishes? It's far more practical. There's literally no cleaning at all, at least in my experience. Every few months I'll some baking soda and vinegar down there, but that's it.

Does anyone actually use it while cooking? I just use it for cleaning dishes.

Truth.

Does anyone actually have a garbage disposal? I feel like this is something from the 80s.

What do you do, rinse the garbage down the drain or does it collect somewhere and have to be periodically thrown out?

I thought everyone called it a garburator, but according to Wikipedia that is a Canadian thing.

In-sink garbage disposals just drain into sewage.

Basically, food waste just collects in the drain. You flush water down it, flip the switch, and it's shredded.

>A pain to keep clean
What the fuck are you on about m8?

NZ here too. Stop giving us a bad reputation.

Actually, plumbers recommend against garbage disposals, because people assume it means they can put food in the sink, which will inevitably clog your plumbing regardless of whether you have a disposal, as food will build up to a block point even if the disposal processes it.

To avoid the cost of a plumber, it's best to put as little food into the disposal as possible.

Not true at all.

youtube.com/watch?v=aPhizjllzfA

amerifats are so fucking lazy

>having nice things makes you lazy

Heh, yeah okay.

>we dont like wasting idiot. throwing out a bag every time food gets in it is wasteful, plus it helps with recycling.
I put my organic waste in a brown bin that gets pick up weekly and is turned into fertilizer.

You dump your organic waste down the drain to burden the water treatment system.

t. butthurt Eurofag
I don't understand why people who don't have these get so upset by their existence. It's extremely practical for getting rid of the small bits of food of plates and cookware instead of scraping them in the trash.

It doesn't replace the trash can, you fucking retard.

We don't throw all off our organic waste into the garbage disposal. It's almost exclusively used for washing the dishes or getting rid of stuff like potato skins, we still throw 99% of food waste into the trash.

Queens, NY here. Got a garbage disposal, speak for yourself and your crap house, don't presume to speak for the whole east coast from your home below the poverty line. I bet you don't have central air and heating too.

Is it true that Americans don't have drying racks?

No, we just put the dishwasher on the dry cycle

Probably... We have dishwashers that dry our dishes for us.

Garbage disposals are a pain. They're a neat concept but they break down too often and it's typically easier to just throw scraps in the trash and take out the garbage.

That doesn't stop me from pretending that I'm feeding a monster under the sink when I get to use one in a condo or whatever.

>from queens
>trying to be classy
mega kek

>I hardly use it. It seems to be a pain to keep clean.
Try washing your sink every so often, simply spraying your sink with bleach solution every so often to kill bacteria. I've never cleaned a disposal in my life. I just turn them on at the end of my kitchen cleanup while running water through them. I guess if you never flip the switch, or never clean your sink with a disinfectant like bleach, you could have bacteria rotting away or food bits down in the drain.

Always had them in my houses in Virginia.

I'm on a septic system, when I built my house I didn't want a garbage disposal or dishwasher.
Besides, how can I add to.my compost pile if I'm just flushing all that biodegradable food down the drain?

>What do you do, rinse the garbage down the drain
It's like a blender in the drain, when you flip a switch, stuff on this side of the drain breaks down the larger food bits down to a minuscule size that is healthier for the drain, or it doesn't pass down. I don't think you can have an automatic dishwasher installed by permit without one, especially if you don't want to already wash the plates before they go in. When you have a dinner party and you are clearing a table of multiple plates, you don't need to worry about scraping them entirely, one at a time into a bin, before stacking (imagine scraping the backsides). Without being a homeowner (being a renter), you simply may never consider the problems and costs associated with frequent snaking out lines esp if you live far from the street on a larger property, getting backups onto your lovely and expensive flooring that may swell cabinets, or dealing with a slow drain in your shower that keeps your feet wet and contributes to mildew risks in the room, etc.

>Actually, plumbers recommend against garbage disposals, because people assume it means they can put food in the sink
Not true. Plumbers suggest that people not be stupid like yourself, same as any other profession.

>Is it true that Americans don't have drying racks
I take it out from under the sink if I have to handwash finer china or crystal glasses that I don't run through the dishwasher, or my sterling silver cutlery (the knives have hollow space I don't want submerged in water). I'd keep the drying rack out all of the time if I didn't have a double sink where I can park a frying pan or big pot to dry upsidedown after washing. Airdrying on a rack is more hygienic than drying with a towel. I think that only people older than 40 really consider them a part of life even if they do have a dishwasher.

Who was trying to be classy? Quit projecting. Oh and putting up a pic of Fran doesnt bother me. Her, John Leguizamo, Kevin James all went to my old high school. Proud of the people from the block making good.

Kevin James is the most unfunny fuck ever.

But breh

Twice, every 8-10 years or so.

a kid put a dishrag down my disposal once, and it broke it. Had to dig around in the disposal to try to get it out.

Why can't you just don't waste food?

People don't waste much food there. And the garbage is collected several time a week so why not just throw it away?

>it keeps your drains from being clogged

In fact it does the opposite, as that 2" I.D. pipe from your kitchen sink isn't made to have solid waste flushed down it.

Enjoy your plumbing problems...

You can clear pipes by pouring liquid mercury down them