Best vegetable sides

What's your favorite vegetable side dish Veeky Forums? or even as a meal on its own.

Need some inspo for my work lunches, getting sick of microwaved broccoli. I have a microwave and toaster oven at work to use. I'll cook something ahead of time at home if it reheats well.

These are good roasted. Or quickly steamed. You could probably microwave them too.

Just don't cook them too long, they're really nice when they have some crunch left.

This or Buttered Leeks. Then asparagus in any form

hmm the leeks sound interesting, gonna pick some up later, will try to find some water spinach as well for a similar preparation.

Why not raw vegetables? A nice tomato, broccoli, celery or whatever the fuck else salad with some balsamic, olive oil and lemon juice is all you need

It's easier to get food poisoning from raw produce.

>fry small pieces of meat in a fair amount of oil
>add whatever seasoning
>add cut up vegetables
>cook for a few minutes
>eat

that's not a side dish. that's like a whole stirfry.

Shelled edamame with some crushed sea salt and chili flakes are an amazing easy snack.

This is one of the meals I do all the time, sometimes adding stock to it and turning it into a hearty soup.

Other than that though, I tend to skip veggies out of inconvenience.

If you can get Asian ingredients, try ong choy stirfried with fermented bean curd,

I can, I have like 10 asian markets within 5 miles. are you referring to douchi? what's a good brand of fermented bean curd? been wanting to try some for awhile.

people eat salads every day and nothing bad ever happens?

last week i took a salat made of tomato, sweet pepper, parsley, mozzarella, oil and vinegar at work. sometimes I bring a Spanish omelette with potatos, tomatos and optional spinach.

>I'll cook something ahead of time at home if it reheats well.
OP, just fill up a 9x12 baking dish with seasonal choices of mixed veggies, tossed in olive oil, sea salt and pepper. Enjoy various combinations. Seasonally, you could enjoy winter squash like acorn or butternut in nice chunks, some big chunks of onion, bell pepper, toss in some parsnips, carrot, sweet potato, whatever. I'd like to suggest combinations, but honestly, just try to handle the size ratio so that they are all caramelized at the same time.
If you're grilling some dinner on your gas grill (or broiling your dinner, like a flank steak), it's not much more work to lay out some thick slabs of zucchini, peppers, eggplant, vidalia, portobello, basted in a bit of olive oil, balsamic, rosemary, or maybe some chili-lime. When chilled down as leftovers, it's a yummy work lunch. Pair with other leftovers, from some rice to sliced steak. Toss with more dressing. Or steam a brown rice 5 mins at the work microwave.

Cold, previously steamed,edamame is a wonderful snack. As are most cold bean salads, that you can prepare over the weekend. Soak and cook very nice local produce like speckled butter beans, purple hull peas, black beans, hit them with salsa fixins: lime, tomato, onion, peppers, cilantro. Chill, and enjoy with some cassava chips or plantain chips. You could start with canned, but they have a different texture overall. Texas caviar, google the recipe. Do the 5bean salad sweet and sour flavors too, if you like, but make it fresh. Potato salads are crazy good at work, basically nuke a potato, cube it, hit it with all your veggie and meat leftovers and dressing, chill overnight.

Roasted parsnips.

How come parsnips aren't more popular?

What is parsnip?

>eating vegetables

Fry up a few slices of bacon, crumble them up and reserve the fat.

Cut a bunch of brussel sprouts in half and saute them in some of the bacon fat and olive oil. Season with salt and black pepper, add the crumbled bacon back into the brussel sprouts near the end of cooking, top with shredded parmesan cheese.

Associated with old people. Same reason radishes and brussels sprouts are "gross"

larger sweeter white carrot

oven roasted cauliflower, carrots and peas

Cauliflower fried rice.

Temp and cooking time for those? That sounds tasty as fuuuuu. I'm guessing toss in oil and desired seasonings and then 375 or so for 25-30? Also, does it reheat well? I meal prep and certain roasted veggies (peppers and tomatoes, especially) don't hold up well on the reheat.

>eww vegetables!
Enjoy your tendies, retard.

Damn, I've actually never thought of roasting that combination together.
Seconded.

425 for 25 minutes. I tossed them in olive oil, garam masala, tumeric, and coriander. And yes they reheat very well.

Cauliflower and carrots are obviously prepped, but are these fresh, frozen, or canned peas we're talkin'?

With a little bit of parmesan grated on top, nothing compares

Fried zucchini slices breaded in Italian seasoned bread crumbs
D A N K

Literally any way you cook zucchini will be great. Absolute best veggie

frozen.

Thanks! Trying it next week.

OP here, got some zucchini, gonna try the cauliflower, peas, and carrots later this week as well. thx anons.

Ong choy is water spinach. Pic related is the bean curd I use. Get a pan real hot (even better if you have a wok), mix oil, chopped garlic, and the bean curd in the pan until its a paste and stir fry the ong choy for a couple minutes.

Dice up potato, capsicum, pumpkin, carrots, cherry tomatos, baby eggplants and beetroot (not the canned variety, "fresh beetroot")

Put it on an oven tray with some oil and bake it.

The sugars in the beets lightly caramelise everything.

Awesome baked medley.

had water spinach in taiwan, loved it, for some reason I don't see it often in the markets here. Will keep an eye out.

Fry vegetables if you want them to actually taste nice. Attitudes towards vegetables would be a lot better if so many people weren't brought up assuming the only way to have vegetables is to boil or steam them so they're utterly boring and devoid of any flavour.

One of the best chinese fermented products, and also shrimp paste

Brussels sprouts, parsnips, butternut squash, and mushrooms are all very tasty roasted and grilled with a bit of oil, s&p, perhaps some fresh herbs if you have any on hand. They're good on their own but I also like to top with a bit of balsamic reduction.
Skillet smashed baby potatoes are good as well with roasted garlic. Mushrooms, tomatoes, and onions sauteed in butter and wine (or vermouth) are pretty decadent but also good.

you can't beat oven roasted asparagus with olive oil, s&p, and garlic