Mushrooms bioaccumilation

Doesn't eating mushrooms expose me to more toxins than any other food due to their bioaccumilative properties? People always talk about how healthy they are for you but I feel that doesn't mean dick due to all the shit they absorb that plants or animals pick up over the course of their lifespan.

Other urls found in this thread:

fda.gov/ICECI/Inspections/InspectionGuides/ucm092167.htm
google.com/#q=do fungi accumulate toxins from substrate
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

If you eat enough mushrooms you turn into a big mushroom

If you're talking about accumulating shit below it, you must be really scared of predatory fish.

What are you fucking on about? How does a mushroom absorb more bullshit than, say, a plant grown right next to it?

Do you really not know about the mycological properties of mushrooms that allow them to absorb all kinds of nasty shit?

You know there are biocumulative synthetics in every wheat and rice product you eat in the US? By law? And yes they do destroy your liver.
fda.gov/ICECI/Inspections/InspectionGuides/ucm092167.htm
Ctrl+f Food Additives

Worry more about this shit please.

A lot of what fungi accumulate depends on the substrate they grow on. For instance, I would never consume pic related if it were growing on a conifer.

>How does a mushroom absorb more bullshit than, say, a plant grown right next to it?
Are you retarded?

"Chicken-of-the-woods" growing on conifer wood are actually different species than L. sulphureus. It is probably more related to secondary metabolites the conifer-associated species produces than bioaccumulation of deleterious compounds from the substrate.

Yes. Please help me not to be.

What am I missing about fungi?

Why would you think two different species, let alone two organisms in different kingdoms, would bioaccumulate in precisely the same manner?

It's like thinking chocolate is good for dogs because you eat it. Or submerging a bird underwater for 3 hours is find because fish do it.

Things respond differently man. THINK!

> It is probably more related to secondary metabolites the conifer-associated species produces than bioaccumulation of deleterious compounds from the substrate.
This is pure speculation. Can you provide some peer-reviewed/legitimate evidence supporting your claims?

I'm just curious, given that the following search suggests otherwise from your claims:
google.com/#q=do fungi accumulate toxins from substrate

Yeah yeah, I get it. I realize why it's a different kingdom of organism, more closer to animal than plant. I remember my 6th grade biology.

Still, tell me why they bioaccumulate more double bubble bullshit from the earth they grow from.

Of course it is speculation. I'm not aware of any research looking into the differences between L. sulphureus and L. conifericola or other related species in terms of edibility.

It makes more sense that the allergic response is a result of something produced by the species and not something bioaccumulated from the host substrate.

No, I don't think it does make more sense. But, given the dearth of evidence, I guess we'll just have to leave the argument as it stands.

There is no evidence, but consider that Hericium abietis and H. coralloides from on conifer and hardwood, respectively, and are both edible.

The Laetiporus reaction is often described as an allergic one, not acute toxicity. I'm not aware of any compound in spruce or pine wood that would illicit such an allergic reaction.

Lots of conifer mycorrhizal fungi are edible too.

Also Lycoperdon pyriforme occurs on both conifer and hardwood as well as Pleurotus spp. No differences in edibility are documented based on host substrate.

Yes, it is possible that conifer-inhabiting Laetiporus species do as you say, but it is unlikely.

How about alkaloids and diterpene esters? Both can cause contact dermatitis which is essentially an allergic reaction, and they are common compounds in conifers.
A little bit of research seems to indicate that both species-specific and substrate effects affect fungal accumulation (at least of heavy metals). Search for the Springer article titled "Substrate role in the accumulation of heavy metals in sporocarps of wild fungi"

Either way, thanks for the interesting and respectful conversation.

yes you turn into the spores from the last of us

Can fungi bioaccumulate alkaloids?

Obviously substrate will play a role - this is the source of heavy metals and other compounds available to the fungus. They may also leach faster out of soil versus more complex recalcitrant matrices like wood.

I suppose there is not much point in debating it considering the truth is unknown. It's an interesting topic of study for someone able to pursue it, but it would require first determining the source of toxicity from Laetiporus species, which could take quite a bit of time and work.

Then you would have to see which species the toxicity factor (e.g.: an enzyme, allergen, whatever) is present in and see if there is some phylogenetic signal or substrate specificity, then go from there.

I think what is really interesting about this phenomenon is that until recently, people thought L. sulphureus occurred on both hardwood and conifers and learned to avoid those on conifer wood. Molecular phylogenetic evidence then showed that there were actually cryptic species, which corresponded with the conifer/hardwood observations.

it's true

>I'm not going to continue arguing over conjecture.

Aite, basically mushies process nutes from other organisms (ie trees, dead trees ect.), whilst plants process nutes from soil and photo synthesise

I ate like 5 grams of some red ones with white spots on top. I got high.

It's my uninformed, unenforced theory that human beings shouldn't be eating mushrooms. I don't know why really, maybe they contain toxins we don't yet realize, maybe they're an integral and sacred life form that we don't yet understand, but either way I don't think we should eat them.

I do eat them of course. But they've always made me a bit nervous.

lol yeah I know, it came out a butthurt, which isn't what I meant by it at all. I just mean there is no point in arguing about it all night. So I deleted it after seeing Happy now? Fucking Cyber Bully.

Enough per total mushroom weight or per number of mushrooms?

banone

I'd fuck that shroom on the bottom left. She's T H I C C

Great, now I'm nervous about it too