How would you rank knives in terms of utility/necessity? I'm hankering for a clever...

How would you rank knives in terms of utility/necessity? I'm hankering for a clever, but don't think I'll get much use out of it.

>Pic related, but feel free to include others, even weeb knives

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Tojiro-4099-Kitchen-Knife-F-502/dp/B000UAUKHI/
youtube.com/watch?v=XG8XxiINpaI
youtube.com/watch?v=ZF_eeHrQwhU
zwillingonline.com/33431006.html
youtube.com/watch?v=Lead_gDb48w
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I have a medium sized chef knife that I use for most tasks. And a bread knife (that I never use.)

I thought about getting a paring knife once, but my vegetable peeler works fine.

also seriously who buys a tomato knife.

all you need is a french knife desu

the only people who would need more than that already know what they need

Do you mean a heavy butcher's cleaver or a chinese chef's cleaver? The latter can be an everyday knife if you know what you're doing with it, the former is only really useful if you often buy primal and subprimal cuts of meat

Chinese Cleaver is GOAT knife.

Anyone that claims different is a fucking moron or has never used a Chinese cleaver for cooking.

Chinese clever is what caught my attention, also witnessed.

I am also interested in a Chinese cleaver. I'd rather have stainless, but the high end Japanese knives are too expensive. Is this Tojiro worth a try? It doesn't have a high profile but it's good steel and priced right.

amazon.com/Tojiro-4099-Kitchen-Knife-F-502/dp/B000UAUKHI/

I'd fuck with the slightly wider cleavers - the wide blade allows you to use it much better as a "scoop" for picking up shit you cut and for crushing garlic/ginger/etc before you chop it up.

Personally i use one of these.
Can do most or the work.

If you have a chefs knife and a paring knife there's really nothing you can't manage.

Chinese cleaver(get medium/thin vegetable, not the heavy grade
chef's knife, 8" or 10"
veg peeler
bread knife
petty knife

in that order. all you will ever need.

POINT OF ORDER

The first knife is a GERMAN chef's knife, and not at all a FRENCH chef's knife, which is a far superior design, copied, in fact, by the Japanese.

Superior in what way?

Every

can't argue with that

That's german engineering.

Chef's knife
Serrated slicer (bread knife)
Paring

I use those three 95% of the time

I'm not going to argue with German engineering.

Bob kramer 8inch no need for anything else.

I use a chef's knife, a utility knife, a paring knife, and a cleaver to break up bones.

Oh yeah, I also have two Chinese cleavers but I really suck with them so I kind of shy away from them

They lost the fucking war, didn't they?

>cleavers
All these meat headed ham fisted choppers with no knife skills.

Chef
Paring
Fillet (if you do fresh fish regularly)
Serrated/Bread
Cleaver
Everything else who gives a fuck.

To the burgers and the soviets, but they don't have a quintessential chef's knife of their own. The French got blitzed.

I do pretty much everything with a utility knife. Someday when I have a bigger kitchen with more room for cutting boards I'll get a full size chef's knife.

A Chinese cleaver has been my #1 for over a decade. I'm just a home cook, but I cook almost every day and rarely if ever reach for another knife.

Yeah look at this hot mess, zero skills AT ALL amirite?

youtube.com/watch?v=XG8XxiINpaI

i own a sabatier chef knife and a tescos finest utility knife
they do the job

Sorry, I don't speak moonspeak and the only thing i saw were a bunch of choppers having to grab a real knife to filet a fish.

>lolitrollu.jpg

You couldn't do any of that with a gun to your momma's head, pleb

The tomato knife is pointless unless you somehow have blunt knives

A good sharp chef's knife is fine for tomatos

only knife i ever use

95% of the time I use chefs time, the rest i use a small paring knife

From my experience, a chef knife is all you need unless you have a specific requirement (like frozen food/bones or professional work).
A good scooping knife is fine but isn't required.

I really like sharp knives.

What's the sharpest knife I can get that isn't over $50?
I imagine it'd be some type of ceramic, right?

send a butter knife to a sharpening service and tell them to grind it like a straight razor

Chinese cleavers have different styles among them. They're usually classified by thickness of blade and weight. Generally, the extra weight at the tip of the cleaver vs the french chef's knife makes chopping with the tip end of the knife easier. It also helps with back slicing. Then there are the obvious benefits of a flat spin which you can use to tenderize proteins and the flat blade which you can use to scoop, mince garlic and flatten wrappers with. Other than that, it pretty much works like a French chef's knife that can't stab.

Aren't there other materials that are capable of holding a sharper edge than stainless steel, though?

Knapped flint and obsidian

What about ceramic knives? Aren't they a big thing?

Are filleting knives a must?
I did filleting with a small all purpose knife, kinda like the paring one, it worked but it was a lot of work, it also wasn't as sharp as it looked.

Ceramic knives chip and are very difficult to sharpen even with diamond whetstones. If you buy one from a reputable manufacturer like Kyocera you can mail it in for sharpening, but then you're out of a knife for up to 2 weeks. All knives need periodic sharpening. Just get a good chef's knife.

If it has to be under 50, the tojiro 7" santoku is a good deal. Uses vg-10 steel which holds a nice sharp edge. Don't ever use a honing steel with it though.

Otherwise, a cheap carbon steel vegetable cleaver will probably be under 20 dollars. It'll take and keep a very sharp edge, but like with all carbon steel knives, it'll rust pretty quick if you don't care for your knives.

Breh that's a nakiri, not a Chinese cleaver.

Also "Chinese cleaver" is a misnomer, as the knife Chinese butchers use for cleaving is considerably different.

Yes I know, but would it be a good substitute for one? The Tojiro is the only stainless cleaver/nakiri with good steel and a reasonable price. I'm a bit nervous to try the carbon steel CCK cleavers.

lmfao fuck no

please dont treat a nakiri like a cleaver

>the only cleavers are meat cleavers
I love carbon steel more than anyone but it's not the best thing to use for vegetables. get the tojiro

a nakiri is meant for slicing not chopping you shitlord it isnt really a cleaver

just because it doesnt have a pointed tip doesnt make it a cleaver

>it has a different name so I'll just deflect
little weeb, the point is that there are thin Chinese cleavers that are used for the same thing as a nakiri, go make a thread about putting the soy sauce in the wasabi again baka

Good resort to ad hominem. "Better call him a weeb so I can show everyone how much of a nonweeaboo I am posting on Veeky Forums.org"

We are obviously using "cleaver" here to refer to the knives' similar shape to western cleavers, not as knives for cleaving through joints and chicken bones. "Chinese cleaver" is how most people call the Chinese knives with a high profile and flat edge.

Therefore, I am asking whether or not a nakiri with a lower profile is a good substitute for a Chinese knife, because Tojiro makes a stainless nakiri at a good price but the budget friendly Chinese-style knives like CCK's are all carbon steel. There are good, stainless Chinese cleavers made in Japan but they're pretty expensive.

Now will you please calm your pedantics.

Thanks I'll go for it.

>calm your pedantics
where exactly do you think you are?

I don't have a lot of money but I want a decent knife. Just moved and I have none at the moment

Should I get this 210mm Tojiro? It's not too expensive, around $60

Lol, you are still posting in a knife thread on ck. You should fucking know better.

Chef Knives to Go has it for $40

wow that looks like shit. buy a Sab instead, or at least get the DP with traditional furniture

>a nakiri with a lower profile is a good substitute for a Chinese knife,

is a bicycle a good substitute for a car?

Is a knife thread on ck a good substitute for sewing thread?

This may be a shock to you, but I don't care too much what it looks like. I care more about sharpness and performance

>Lol, you are still posting in a knife thread on ck. You should fucking know better.

??

imo at least sage your shitposts

>China only has one knife for a billion people
Das layciss

the government has a 1 knife policy

Tojiro DP is a little more expensive and uses better steel. Though the Tojiro colors use a pretty good steel -- better than the typical Western brands like Victorinox.

Also, I think 10" (240mm) is a better length for a general purpose knife, having used both 8" and 10" in a commercial kitchen for a few years.

Serious question. Can you explain why it is better than a Chef's knife? I don't understand why the wide flat shape would help as long as the blade is sharp on both.

Chinese cleaver fans are like cast iron pan neckbeards. They think anyone who doesn't share their retarded beliefs must simply be misinformed about the greatness of their thing

scoop

If that's the only advantage I'll stick with my chef's knife. Can scoop fine and the curved blade makes it more effective at slicing.

I just moved into a small town from the country, and fuck yes, a bike is a great substitute for a car. Get around almost as fast, get excercise, and have more fun, win win in my book.

Doubles as a scoop, no health hazard from a pointed tip (although obviously you could have a chef's knife with a blunted tip too, like some of the fuck ugly Mac's).

They don't pay road tax

What is the health hazard from a pointed tip? Are you going to stab yourself?

My town has a road user fee attached to my water bill

he probably lives in the UK where they've been conditioned to believe that pointy things are bad

Roads are maintained entirely through property tax, "road tax" is irrelevant.

They're just a bit better suited for the sort of repetitive shredding and mincing of things that you get in Chinese cuisine. The height means you've always got space for your guiding hand to rest, and it's easier to smash things and do the bouncing style chop with the extra weight. It feels like the edge profile is easier on soft vegetables too, but I'm not sure how based on reality that is. The scoop is just handy when you tend to have a ton of finely sliced things in every damn dish.

youtube.com/watch?v=ZF_eeHrQwhU

Does any country actually have road tax? UK abolished it in the 30s.

Possibly
But it's not like cagers are informed about such matters
They have a hard enough time keeping their eyes off their iphones

Gas tax

Revenue from which goes into general coffers and is not specifically earmarked for infrastructure.
Hell, it likely goes to environmental programs to mitigate the pollution from burning that gas.

>Cagers

Kek, how long would I have to bike before I can start using the bitter language?

I have a "slicer" as per OP pic which is really, really good. Got it cheap in Tk Maxx and I use it for pretty much everything. Stays really sharp and is a joy to use

>Therefore, I am asking whether or not a nakiri with a lower profile is a good substitute for a Chinese knife

NO.

THEY ARE DIFFERENT TOOLS AND USED DIFFERENTLY

I think the average is three seconds.

Until the second or third time a driver tries to kill you, so

Every knife you will ever need for 300 dollars. zwillingonline.com/33431006.html

Well worth it.

>bolsters

No.

Yes because a perfectly balanced knife is a bad thing.

B-but the cyclist totally came outta nowhere! I drive better after a few cold ones

If your knife is heavy enough to need six pounds of bolster to balance it then you've got a shit knife.
The bolster isn't for balance, a knife should be balanced anyway.
All it does is give fat-fingered retards who can't hold a knife properly a slightly better chance to not cut themselves doing something stupid and wrong with the knife.

More importantly, bolsters are shit because they get in the way of blade and make chopping a miserable experience.

> Calling a Henckels a shit knife.
Yeah this guy knows what he's talking about.

If it weren't a shit knife then it wouldn't have a bolster.
Only shitty knives have bolsters.

This. If prepping vegetables is the lion's share of your knife work the Chinese cleaver is a better bet than a chef's knife. For me vegetable prep is easily 90% of what I do at the cutting board, so the cleaver is a no brainer.

The only disadvantage to a bolster is it makes it slightly harder to sharpen your knife. Thankfully Henckels makes knives that need to be sharpend maybe once a few years with normal kitchen use. If you think that a bolster is an indication of quality you are a moron, it is a matter of individual preference and adds comfort when doing significant chopping.

Anyone who prefers a bolster is a retard who only likes shit knives.
Might as well cut your food with a god damned hammer.

Lol'd because it's true

So tell us your preferred cutlery manufacturer.

can you guys recommend a good and affordable chef's knife available in yurop? thanks in advance

all you need

youtube.com/watch?v=Lead_gDb48w