What do you think of this guy's historic cooking videos?

What do you think of this guy's historic cooking videos?

youtube.com/watch?v=sLX3d-WbaQk

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zsdRtyCqsVI
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Did people in the 18th century ever eat vegetables? It seems like all he makes is meat pies, pudding, and other desserts.

Genuinely interesting, as opposed to all of the meme train-wrecks of people that so many on Veeky Forums have a post ironic fixation on.

History eaters with english subtitles. God tier show

youtube.com/watch?v=zsdRtyCqsVI

Kinda boring
I can understand the appeal, but its not for me

I've looked up those cook books they mention. And basically they ate vegetables like we ate vegetables.

I think he focuses on the more... outlandish parts of that style of cookery. Like the meat pies, the meat puddings, etc.

he's so hot

i want him to fuck me so bad 17th century style

his daughter is cute I wish she was in more videos

I enjoyed the video a lot, I had been looking for something like this a couple months ago in fact.
The only complaint I have is that the results aren't exactly what I expected, we hear all the time about the amazing feasts of the past but without all modern technology it's almost unimaginable how the accomplish them, I would like to see one of those amazing cakes being made

Sweet, thanks! Seems like the Swedish The Supersizers.

He has given false information for a few recipes that a simple wiki entry read would have set his script straight.

How are those in any way outlandish?

The channel is advertising for their products. Cooking vegetables doesn't require any of the items they sell

in america, if your culinary repertoire extends beyond microwaving tater tot pizza and opening bottles of "the craft beer" (not to be confused with "the regular normal beer"), you are either trolling or insane

Yeah, but he looks like he is trying so hard. He comes off really awkward and happy, you just want to pin a participation ribbon on his chest.

It's not accurate enough for me. He needs greater attention to detail in the accuracy of the ingredients. Just watching for a minute he pull some butter from...somewhere.

Where? What kind of butter is that? Is that the same as what they would have had in 1796? I bet it's not.

How about the flour? Probably even more difference there in milling techniques and varieties grown.

How about the ovens? The shapes of pots and pans used?

To get it -right- right you have to be kind of an ass for details.

he's trying to make it so modern people can try it at home.

I know, but I'm just not such a fan of that approach. It would be more interesting to me to see it done as accurately as possible, even at the expensive of taste.

poor people , animals (including the Scots) and Colonists ate vegetables. In England during this time period there was a prevailing belief that most vegetables were bad for you because the body couldnt digest them properly. To wit they were probably right considering how widespread the use of night-soil as fertilizer was.

So yeah, Around the time of the time of the American Revolution a great deal of british gentry saw the Colonists' eating habits in the same way westerners view people in Asian countries (I.e: "you people eat a lot of weird shit that shouldn't be food") except they took this to the point of molding domestic policy around this perception.

Fucking LivingHistory fag here. I volunteer for a historical site that actually uses a bunch of Jas. Townsend's recipes and equipment. So here are some notes:

- Churning butter does in fact take a fucking long ass time and nobody gives a shit since the end result is in fact pretty similar to what you get in the store. Hell, if you want, you can make a solid recreation of this process at home with a glass jar and some heavy cream. Results are damn near the same... unless you want that classic "wooden butter churn" feel where you might find yourself picking out splinters and bugs and shit. THe butter churns we use at least are handheld jars with a wooden agitator in them and typically we hand these off to younger particpants who dont yet understand how fucking tedious the butter making process is.

- FLour and meal of the time was , in most households, pounded out on a wooden block setup that's pretty much just a GIant mortar and Pestle you work with two hands. Typically an unclean one at that. So yeah, welcome to more rocks and pebbles and shit in your food thats fucking fine by me. Since we often have to serve samples to the visitors, we don't fuck around with that and will typically just use flour and cornmeal from the store... because the ingredients havent fucking changed and professionally milled flour of the time as actually on a level with the stuff we make today... plus modern flour has the added advantage of having not been stepped on by a draft horse as part of the milling process.

- The ovens and pans however, are in fact replicas based off of designs described in historical texts as well as archaeological finds in both the COlonies and Europe. So yeah, actually he's pretty on point with the tools of the trade in all of these videos.

Thank you, that was very good to know!

He covers most of this shit in other videos. Just watch the channel and you'll start picking stuff up. He doesn't do it in every episode because that would become repetitive as fuck since ingredients are reused so often.

Basically big adds for their products, but it's pretty comfy.

I wish someone would make an uber comfy food history show though, that'd be great.

awesome... i fucking watched all of them

Holy fuck how autistic are you

Oh I enjoy his videos but those few cases where I have seen him give completely false information introduced doubt in my mind. Now he is entertainment, not education.

>Caring about accuracy in something educational is autistic

Don't you have a Transformers movie to watch? I'm sure all of the explosions and loud noises are more your thing.

Their wares are fairly priced and we'll crafted, the content is legitimately interesting and he takes a genuine approach to it. What's the problem?

>and we'll crafted
>we'll

My current problem is your unbelievable stupidity.

Nice u got me.. my phone goes to we'll instead of well when I type those 4 characters, bite me

Thank you user, I wanted to sperg out on the naysayers; just didn't have the energy

Love them. I've made several of the recipes and they're gr8.

I want to build a backyard oven like his.

It makes me glad to be living in the 21st century.

comfy level: maximum