Grocery Stores

Grocery Store Thread

Tell me about Aldi, Veeky Forums? Is the quality worth it? Are the prices worth it?

The other grocery stores around are Publix, Winn-Dixie, Bravo, and Save-a-lot, as well as a couple health food stores but they are pricey.

I usually do my shopping at Publix because it's just a better experience in general, always clean and the people are friendly. The produce and bakery goods are always good quality. I was thinking of going to Aldi to check out their dry goods though. Does anyone know if they generally carry nuts, dried fruit, and things like chia/flax/hemp seed?

What grocery store do you usually shop at?

Aldi is cheaper while having good quality. However, you can see why it is cheaper when you walk inside.

I usually shop at pic related because it's closest and the hot rotisserie chickens are dirt cheap. I used to shop at Ralph's right next door but they closed it down and replaced it with a Marshall's for some reason.

Albertsons and Stater Brothers I don't like because employees seem not to give a shit about anything but gossiping about each other, can't get a cut of beef without hearing about who fucked who

Food 4 Less is good but far

Believe it or not, one of their biggest money-saving measures is to not have any music playing in store. Royalties and licensing are very, very expensive, but chains have to pay them in order to play music because they're not exempt under ยง 110 (5) under the Copyright Act of 1976 (IE they exceed the square footage allowed for playing radio broadcast as background music and therefore have to pay to play any music in store).

This gives the store a dead feeling to me. Other stores just seem livelier because of the background music, but Aldi doesn't at all.

Another money-saving thing is that they don't carry a large variety. They have one brand of flour, one brand of eggs, one brand of frozen pizza etc etc etc. Greater variety means needing more space and space costs $$$.

A third is displays: there are none. Displays cost money.

Finally, they have fewer workers, even if the workers are paid more. Each store has only one manager and two or three AMs and six-to-seven underlings.

All this, combined with other little things they do here and there to save dosh, means that they extend their profit margins far beyond what you might have expected. They reported $7billion last year. That's only a billion less than Wegman's. Aldi is more profitable per square (insert your preferred unit of measurement here) than any other grocery store chain except Trader Joe's. Which is, as many of us know already, owned by Aldi, anyway.
>TJ's is more profitable because it sells the same shit as Aldi at a slightly higher price, just repackaged.

I agree with everything except that last bit.

The food they serve is indeed of "perceived" higher quality, meaning instead of selling food from the factory that also sells to walmart they sell from the whole foods factory.

Such food already has high margins but with the aldi philosophy you can sell it even higher.

Its good for buying junk food, but not much variety when it comes to meats. They run short-staffed, the cashiers usually stock items and clean the store.

I've not been inside a TJ's in about ten years, so I don't know if their offerings have changed.

Last I went, it was identical to Aldi in quality, which isn't bad to begin with. Aldi's paprika, for example, is way better than McCormick at a fraction of the price. It's not quite as good as super premium paprika, but it's pretty close and way, way cheaper.

Publix is good. Lucky's Market is great. The Fresh Market is great but can be very expensive. Winn Dixie is just ok. Those are the ones in my town.

Walmart is for when I'm almost out of money for the month.

aldi is cheap but the two closest to me have horrendous produce quality and selection. one of them regularly does not have a single carton of intact eggs.

I went in Save a Lot once. It was alright. Very low prices. I bought a box of pancake mix and it wasn't in a plastic bag, it was just loose in the box.

Bravo is nice, also very cheap prices. I don't go very often because it's on the other side of town but I would if I lived closer.

Yes they have gone the "high-quality" angle and the profits followed. They have 50% more staff on call yet still make more money then Aldi. People will pay out of the ass for the organic label.

Walmart for pantry staples - it's hard to pass up a 10# bag of flour for the priice of a 5# everywhere else.

Kroger for fresh organics veg - many are priced only slightly more than non-organic.

Meijer for teas and meat

Aldi for chocolate veggies that are cheaper than kroger pantry items are better than walmart.

Forgot to mention that save-a-lot and aldi are walking distance apart. I tend to not shop at save-a-lot but the do occasionally have packages of chicken necks and backs for 99c a lb, which are awesome for when I can stock.

I really like going to Aldi. Not just because of the price but there are a lot of stuff that the Tesco I usually shop at just won't sell, especially in the realm of some deli meat or even meat in general.

That and their 30p chocolate is good for the price.

If I were a grocery store, I were Aldi. It's a temple of frugality.

Me too. My family makes fun of me for what they perceive as extreme frugality. They call me "The Swabian" because of it.
For those unfamiliar with German-speakers and our stereotypes for one another, Swabians are seen as being super, super miserly to the point where if a fly lands in his beer, a Swabian would force it to spit it back out before letting it fly off.

>Tell me about Aldi, Veeky Forums? Is the quality worth it? Are the prices worth it?
No and no.

Cheapshit off-brand knockoffs exclusively, and I bet they get low prices by skimping on cleaning and pest control.
Plus, all the packaging is in german, so it may be that the 'beef' is a mixture of rat and horse, and the 'diced chicken breast' is shoplifters.

Just went to Aldi, lads. Got some chia seeds, flax seeds and almond milk for real cheap. Once uni starts again I'll have to go more often, their cold cuts and cheeses were really cheap too.

Why does it have to be in such a bad part of town though

Lidl is better IMO. But Lidl malt vinegar comes in a glass bottle, which is annoying because you can't squeeze it and the vinegar comes out too slowly. Aldi malt vinegar costs the same and comes in a plastic bottle.

Remember to bring a quarter for the cart and your own bags. I love Aldi because I've always preferred to bag my own groceries rather than let some 15yo or druggie do it for me.

People who shop at Aldi's hype up the whole "it's German" and muh Aldi brand products, muh savings. FUCK THAT.

Wegmans all the way. I'd literally buy the Wegmans store brand of whatever I needed and was never disappointed.

aldi's and trader joe's are own by the same guy

most of the stuff is decent

confirmed for never having been to aldi