Why can't you fry foods in water?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maillard_reaction
youtube.com/watch?v=ISyE-1ovT28
youtube.com/watch?v=hPwc2fDhuM4
i.imgur.com/iWKad22.jpg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

allah forbids it

>can't even bother to find reaction image to express how retarded a question that is.png

WAter=boils
Oil=fry

keked thank you so much user. Veeky Forums has been witty today

You could, if you had a high enough pressure environment that would increase the boiling point of the water to the desired temperature.

Good question.....honestly I don't even think Veeky Forums could answer this but I will try it there

this

i think

Not technically a fry, but I like to sautee some stuff with a bit of boiling water from the kettle.

>people calling it a retarded question even though they don't know the answer themselves

Lovin Every Laff

frying is just dehydration shit at a fast rate

you cant dehydrate shit with water

sounds like we have a winner.
prize is two chik-fil-a honey bbq sauce packets

Water moves out of the food and oil takes its places. "Frying" in water would result in no water loss.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maillard_reaction

As the science of dichotomy prays, "You can't fry chicken in a toaster."

...can you get rid of the oils in food if you jack up the pressure and temperature with water?

Isn't this what a pressure cooker is though?

Pressure cookers can cause the Maillard reaction.

Thus, can using a pressure cooker be said to frying a food with water?

Most pressure cookers only elevate the boiling point to about 265 degrees Fahrenheit. Another way to elevate the boiling point would be to dissolve a soluble material, such as salt, in the water.

fat boils to the top if you boil meat in water

>cause the Maillard reaction.

Is that some word you made up? The Stein Gate of cooking?

>Doesn't even notice there's a whole fucking article that goes in depth as to what it is.

Frying usually occurs at 350F ish, which you can't get with water under normal conditions. Further, water and oil are immiscible, meaning that cooking food in high temp oil will brown the outside while trapping a lot of moisture inside, effectively steaming it from within.

I'm not sure whether you could get closer to 'frying' if you really cranked the pressure to the point where your water could get up to 350 or 400F, but it still wouldn't be auite the same due to the different properties of oil and water.

Well done, op.

It's really not a bad question. It appears juvenile and stupid, but a lot of folks here really couldn't tell you why boiling and frying are different.

This question broke my mind for a solid couple of minutes until you realize that water frying=boiling

is it possible to fry things in other edible liquids?

for example, what would frying something in honey be like?

It wouldn't be frying because honey isn't oil.

No. The moisture from the honey would boil off and you'd be left with a sugary liquid with the viscosity of tar that you could apply tiles with.

Because frying is a dry heat cooking method, and water is wet.

the liquid would have to be non-polar and able to retain the required heat.

What if you tried to sous-vide something but under pressurized environment so you could crank up the water's temperature.

POLAR VS NON POLAR
if you cannot grasp this concept and how solvents work

you should probably remove yourself from the genepool of humanity.

Lower temp. 100C vs 177C - 195C

could I boil something in lower temp oil?

If you could somehow regulate the temperature and prevent it from going above 100 C. You'd get a really greasy final product, but it would cook.

You can.

jewish physics

Frying is a dry heat cooking method. It takes the water out of a food instead of putting it in

When the deli has lunch ham on sale, i buy some and drizzle honey on it and throw it in a frying pan to make honey ham.

=> confit (in duck or goose fat at around 70-80°c )

Because it's a polar molecule with a very low boiling point.

water is a polar molecule with a low molecular weight
oil is nonpolar with a high molecular weight

polarity and molecular weight are going to determine many of the physical properties needed for frying to occur (boiling point, combustion, miscibility, etc.)

I also forgot to mention that oil is composed of long-chain hydrocarbons (i.e. lipids). That also plays a major role.

It would still be wet, so I don't think it would ever qualify as frying. I wonder if the maillard reaction could happen from superheated water though?

>I wonder if the maillard reaction could happen from superheated water

Sure, it can. Though your typical kitchen pressure cooker, while a lot hotter than boiling, just doesn't get that hot.

good question op, but more importantly why can't i boil my eggs in 400 degree celcius oil tub

stop

There's practically no water in honey, and there are records showing that the Romans used to cook stuffed dates in heated honey as a dessert.

>instaoldfagkit filename

By definition that's not frying.

>Frying is a dry heat cooking method. It takes the water out of a food instead of putting it in

This but also:

1) Frying is at higher temperatures.
2) Frying is at atmospheric pressure.

When you fry food, the water inside the food is heated and evaporates. Evaporating water takes up more space than liquid water, so it must leave the food and find space in the air above your skillet.

Now, if you used a pressure cooker, you could get the same high temperatures, but the cooker is a sealed environment and so there'd be no space outside the food for the water vapors to get out into. This means they stay inside the food.

So now I'm suddenly curious: What if you use a pressure cooked with a quick-drain pipe in the bottom? When opening the stopcock he pressure would very swiftly force all the water out and normalize the pressure, meaning the vapors captured inside the food would now be able to leave the food and dry it out. The temperature would swiftly fall down to water's normal boiling point but it would be an interesting experiment.

But then the boiling point of the water found in the food you want to cook is also higher.

The while point is cooking the food in a liquid that has a higher boiling point/temperature than the water in the food.

The oil you're frying food in has a higher temperature than 100C, so it evaporates the water on the edges of your food, making it a bit crispy. The insides of the food you're frying don't get that hot(ideally) so they stay somewhat softer

That's why you should change the oil you use depending on the food you want to fry. Olive oil for example gets to lower temperatures than sunflower oil (don't know specifics tho), so it takes longer to cook a steak in it for example

How is baby formed?

>it would be an interesting experiment.

Lol, that's called an "explosion". Any water present in the pressure cooker is suddenly going to turn to steam, making it very dangerous for anyone nearby. The moisture in the food will likewise flash boil and will break apart the food from the inside.

How girl get pregnant?

when mommy and daddy love each other very much.....

You have to put your gravy in a girl's boat using your dangus in her vajanis

water evaporates at temps required to fry

Why can't OP stop being a faggot?

key word is heated
they made it warm, not boiling

Whilst OP is just pants on head retarded. I've been reading the comments by other chemistry fags. Started thinking about possible frying mediums instead of the obvious like glycerol and came up with Gallium.
Gallium's melting point is 29C boiling point of 2400C and is pretty much completely non-toxic. There are reports of people eating up to 10 grams of the stuff purposefully to prove how non-toxic it is, so the few grams that will cling to the food should be okay as long as you don't eat it every day.

How do you guys think it would taste?

Could we fry something in a silane liquid?

because water bonds with things.

you should try and fry some stuff in water

TMS boils at high room temps, not sure about higher silanes but they're all fairly likely to boil at far too low a temp due to lack of hydrogen bonds.

how is this?

I didn't say "safe," I said "interesting."

You think the food would explode? That doesn't sound completely unlikely. At the very least, it should become extremely tender as all the vapor-containing cells in the food burst instead of gently letting out the vapor over a longer cooking period.

>Gallium's melting point is 29C boiling point of 2400C and is pretty much completely non-toxic. There are reports of people eating up to 10 grams of the stuff purposefully to prove how non-toxic it is, so the few grams that will cling to the food should be okay as long as you don't eat it every day.

>How do you guys think it would taste?

No idea about the taste but for a god damn fact I would be freaked the fuck out.

"It's perfectly safe I just cooked it in the corpse of a dead Cyberdyne T1000 series" noooo thank you.

b-but frying is also about cooking out the water from four product, hence the crustu crust. How could you do that in water, no matter what the pressure?

youtube.com/watch?v=ISyE-1ovT28

That's metal as fuck.

You can try frying it in a high pressure water-based solution. Like a brine.
Maybe osmosis will allow the water to drain. I suppose it varies depending on what you actually stick in there.

I'm fairly confident this will work with a whole egg, at least.

Just use less water.

>Maybe osmosis will allow the water to drain.

Oh shit that's clever.

High-pressure super-saturated brine.

Now that's a fucking experiment and a half.

You'd still run into the problem that pressure cooker safety valves typically give out before you reach frying pan temperatures but maybe with a custom device?

Temperature, viscosity, fat content

No but if you have a pot of boiling water and are frying food you can quick soak and take it out fast and in one motion to remove the oil around it completely without making it soggy at all since its fast and the water that leaves with the fried food evaporates really fast because of the temperature

You can in fat

Your tender crust will absorb the metal.

You probably could under high enough pressure.

Dude tried it with aluminum: youtube.com/watch?v=hPwc2fDhuM4

Isn't the heat capacity of gallium relatively low? Might be tedious to cook with.

>salt in water gives it a higher boiling point
I don't think it is true.

It is true, but it's totally insignificant.

It is. Salt lowers the freezing point of water and increases the boiling point. In fact any solute dissolved in water technically does this.

Depends on the solute. Ethanol for example lowers the boiling point

Are you a moron? Why do you think they salt roads in the winter?

Wouldn't water be the solute in this case?

Yep.

Good thread, OP!

Do you guys want to spam the question to xkcd's "what if" section? Could be fun.

In.

>whilst

Frying works by evaporating water from the surface of a food item, thus solidifying it since water helps these membranes (batters form membranes too, technically) stay pliable or liquid.

If it's in water, then no frying can take place because no crust can form. Also water can't easily reach fry temperatures, which helps the Maillard reaction kick off and add some flavors to the food other than 'the food you put in'.

The brine that was mentioned below can't work because you need minimum water in the crust, if not zero. No matter how hot your brine, unless it's 95% salt then you cannot get a good crust, sadly.

i.imgur.com/iWKad22.jpg