I have a food budget of exactly $50 per two weeks

I have a food budget of exactly $50 per two weeks.

I can only shop for food once every two weeks, so I have to get stuff with appropriate shelf life, and the only place I can shop at is Wal-Mart.

Considering tax, my budget is actually more like $45.

As for quantity, I'm 5'8, weigh about 140 pounds, and I'm in my 30's, so I don't need a whole lot to survive, but I do enjoy having excess food with much longer shelf life just in case of emergency, like canned stuff, whenever possible.

With these absolute restrictions in mind, what's the best I can do for myself? I'm getting tired of rice and canned vegetables/soups every single day. I feel like I really need more variety in my diet.

Other urls found in this thread:

allrecipes.com/video/2945/spicy-tuna-fish-cakes/?internalSource=videocard&referringContentType=search results&clickId=cardslot 6
allrecipes.com/recipe/233328/savory-sweet-potato-hash/?internalSource=hub recipe&referringContentType=search results&clickId=cardslot 4
imgur.com/a/5nbmA
deadfood.com
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>getting tired of rice and canned foods
what did you expect, poorfag?
get rotisserie chickens, use them to make chicken sandwiches, soup, etc
rice, lentils, etc all can taste great if cooked properly and you can always season them..if you are poor you shouldn't be picky.

Do you have a fridge/stove/mirowave/etc?

I can't be a great deal of help but it may help other if they knew what you're working with.
Fresh veggies are cheaper than canned veggies, though. Potatoes instead of rice, too.

Sorry that my poorness offends you. I do the best I can for my current circumstances in life.

Yeah I have access to a stove and microwave, and a fridge and freezer.

"two weeks" for me includes both sets of weekends so the entire 14 days, so I've been avoiding fresh vegetables since near the end I fear they would go bad and I cannot afford to waste food.

As I specified, I can only shop every two weeks, and do not have the luxury of shopping more frequently to have access to stuff with lower shelf life.

You do not have room to complain about variety. Buy other grains and beans instead of rice.

>you can't have variety
>but here's some other options you can try for variety

What?

Yeah, but you could eat the fresh veggies in the first week and have frozen stuff later on. Could save some pennies and get more nutrition out it.
Pototoes will last two weeks.

There's no sales tax on food, just alcohol and stuff you buy at restaurants.

Hmm I had no idea fresh veggies could be cheaper than canned. I'll definitely give this a look, thanks.

Also I thought I was getting a lot more food for my dollar out of rice than I could out of potatoes.

I can't imagine what dishes I could make with potatoes as my main staple instead of rice though.

Dunno what country/state you live in, but my food groceries carry a 10% tax here in the southern US.

Eating is a meme. Buy a Veeky Forums Pass instead.

Gosh, I wonder if anyone's ever just tried not eating. I bet we only die from hunger because we're convinced we need to eat, and that's what actually kills us.

Add baked beans to your list of canned food. Perfect side dish or hot snack.

>canned foods
You don't need these apart from maybe canned fish

>cheapest rice
>cheapest oats
>dry legumes
>eggs, shitloads of these
>potatoes, white
>frozen chicken thighs
>some milk
>whichever vegetables are on sale (ALDI is great for this)
>liver from the butchers
>some canned sardines
spend the rest on things like olives, nuts, sweet potatoes, cheese - basically anything you want

Go for frozen veggies. What little you lose out on in terms of texture/taste you gain in savings.

For instance, fresh spinach at my store is roughly $3/lb, but frozen is only $1.25/lb.

Don't spend too much on meat, but do watch for sales. I've seen pork and chicken as low as $1/lb.

two road kill patties special sauce lettuce cheese gmo onions on aspartame seed bun

I am taking notes here, thanks guys.

potato + tuna cakes
potato hash w egg and ham

allrecipes.com/video/2945/spicy-tuna-fish-cakes/?internalSource=videocard&referringContentType=search results&clickId=cardslot 6

allrecipes.com/recipe/233328/savory-sweet-potato-hash/?internalSource=hub recipe&referringContentType=search results&clickId=cardslot 4

tuna cakes are impossible to fuck up I just grabbed first hash recipe I saw

you have the internet try not to get spoonfed
imgur.com/a/5nbmA

A month's worth of food on $45 isn't all that difficult. You gotta avoid luxury and value added products. No meat, no dairy, no prepared food. Dried beans instead of canned. No luxury vegetables (asparagus, fancy mushrooms, spinach). I would do a little research into Indian, Middle Eastern and Mediterranean cooking. They have lots of dishes made from cheap ingredients, and many are delicious (though some are labor intensive to make).

Looking to live on $1.50 a day means you're looking to make dishes that give 2-3 meals for about $1.50 in food cost. Off the top of my head some of these dishes would be:

Oatmeal with toasted walnuts for breakfast
Sicilian lentil soup with pasta
Rajma with rice and some spicy cooked greens
French lentil salad served with potato salad in vinaigrette
Minestrone
White beans in a sage and garlic flavored tomato sauce served over pasta
Bean and corn chili
Chana aloo masala served with rice and spicy cooked greens
Stir fried soy sauce noodles with cabbage, onion and garlic

That kind of stuff. If you need more protein eggs are probably the easiest cheap source.

Also: it's the height of summer in the US, so buying vegetables at Walmart is borderline absurd. See if there are any farm stands near you. Right now farmers are overloaded with cucumbers, tomatoes, zucchini, eggplant, peppers and the like, and they will sell that stuff cheap just to get rid of it. It shouldn't be hard to get half the shit you need for vegetable dishes way cheaper than Walmart if you can find a local farm. I hardly ever go to the supermarket this time of year.

>No meat

If OP is willing there's plenty of free meat available but the options are limited. Here's a good source of recipes:
deadfood.com
Yes, I'm talking about road kill but desperate times... etc.
I recomend the Kangaroo Tail Soup.

Don't get any frozen chicken packs, get a whole chicken, maybe two or three. Use that for stock and flavoring. Also a massive fucking cabbage to braise with the chicken stock.

Stock up on shit like rice, flour, dry noodles and beans; then buy nice stuff to have with these on a weakly basis. I also recommend pickling and canning. I feed myself and my mother on about $60 every two weeks.

Make bibimbap (just add spinnach, beef, eggs, your home made kimchi) or any pasta (buy some tomatoes, garlic and onion and make a marinara; some parmesan, cream and mushrooms; spinnach pesto with poached eggs). Make rice bowls with beans, fried plantains and arepas or flour tortillas and some braised pork.

The way I see it is it's summer (here in the States at least), so all the local vegetables (and even many fruits) are cheap and available. There isn't much point to eating meat this time of year if you're on a budget.

Next time you buy potatoes, cut a few of them in half and throw them into your yard. You now have an endless supply of potatoes.

I probably spend less than that
but I eat rice/macaroni/potatoes every day
usually make burritos (18pc 30cm diameter for €4 lasts me 2 weeks, which is just about the shelf life if kept dry and air tight)

usually add lentils, beans, eggs, chicken breast etc.
also get onions (fairly cheap), olives, pickles and some other cheap shit

put a nice sauce on it, and it will always tastes fucking GREAT