Cheaper to eat healthy, Infographic thread?

Saw this stupid tumblr shit being reposted on facebook. I reposted a picture showing it is cheaper to eat healthy. Any other ways to show that there is no excuse to eat good food? Any other food/cooking related infographics?

Other urls found in this thread:

howmuchisit.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>tried to explain to a friend that this picture is wrong on so many levels
>"But user, nobody wants to eat beans and rice everyday!"
THAT'S NOT THE POINT

The price is just ridiculous. Even if you buy organic at Whole Foods, that's too damn much.

Maybe I can make one next time I do a shop. This person has gotta be straight up fucking lying.

people do anything to make them feel less shit about themselves, everybody does.
calm your autism and stop trying to prove everyone wrong, nobody cares

can u post the picture you posted

Lying to discouraging people from eating healthy because you are insecure about your own weight is wrong. I see a lot of that and it agitates me how people are. But only totally clueless tumblrites that have never gone grocery shopping with mommy or daddy fall for this.

>calories
>-37%
Bullshit misleading comparison. And $2 for that small jug of beans? Buy them dried, they're much cheaper that way. $3 for two peppers is also too expensive.

The problem with that pic is that the pineapple, raspberries and grapes are all luxury foods. If you give a fuck about your budget you're not buying luxury fruit.

Assuming the soft drink is $1-$2 dollars
The rest of that would have to cost around $30 dollars
Using howmuchisit.org/
Pineapple: $2-$5
Grapes: $1-$5 (doubled)
Raspberries: $2.50-$5
Truthfully, I couldn't find raspberries, so I used black berries, which are almost always more expensive where I am, but similar enough

So really the most that would cost on average would be around $20 bucks
But maybe produce is decidedly more expensive where she is
Literally the only way we could know is if people STOPPED PULLING THIS DUMB SHIT AND POSTED A FUCKING RECEIPT
MY GOD, JUST CROSS OUT ANY PERSONAL INFORMATION YOU WOULDN'T WANT OUT THERE AND POST A FUCKING RECEIPT
PEOPLE WOULD LITERALLY NEVER DOUBT YOU ASSUMING YOU TOLD THE TRUTH

fucking hell

>And $2 for that small jug of beans
I'm sure this infographic is comparing costs if you decided to make something that night, instead of preparing for something in advanced

>$3 for two peppers is also too expensive
Nah, maybe where you are
But that's a common price, even for green peppers

I absolutely refuse to beleive that it would cost $32, that shit here is about £1 an item so we're talking $10 at most.

>being poor
>staying poor
>not understanding your station and using that to drive you to move beyond that station
>instead going online to whine "pls no bully'

>soft drink
>expensive-ass fruit like pineapple
>$2 spent on fucking nuts

Holy shit, it's called fucking smart shopping you obese fucking cow. If you actually gave a shit about eating healthier you wouldn't buy fucking pineapples and grapes and other luxury fruits, you'd buy chicken and rice. And this is not even counting the possibility of using fucking coupons, every time I need to watch my money I coupon clip like a fucking bored housewife and make off like a king when I go grocery shopping.

Having a tight budget does NOT mean it's absolutely OK to just say "well fuck it, might as well get a large double Quarter Pounder because it's cheaper", because that's absolutely not true. The truth of the fucking matter is that fat fucks who claim this are really just masking their real feelings: "I could buy basic foods and eat decently, but McDonalds is tastier and I don't want to have to put in any effort in feeding myself".

>PEOPLE WOULD LITERALLY NEVER DOUBT YOU ASSUMING YOU TOLD THE TRUTH
Have you not seen these HAES and fat acceptance people?

She apparently spent $20 on the grapes without thinking.

Let's see how much this would all cost on Fresh Direct:

raspberries are out of stock so I'll sub in black berries (organic)
$4.99

How many pounds of green grapes do you think that is? Let's say 4 pounds of organic seedless.
$3.99 per lbs = $15.96

Organic golden pineapple = $4.99

Total = $25.94

It would have been much less if I chose non-organic.

>6 pounds of grapes
Heh. You know they turned in her fridge before she could eat that many fucking grapes.

>6 fucking lb of grapes
How retarded can you be?

I like how she still bought soda when trying to eat "healthy"

No she got a saving on it so the grapes were "only" $14.29.

The total appears to be

What the everloving fuck.

>6 pounds of grapes

I fucking love grapes and I wouldn't buy that much in one trip unless I was doing something with them, and since they're white grapes I doubt she's got any plans for them beyond shoving them in her fat face and getting mad when 3/4ths of them go bad in her fridge because she didn't have any room in her gut after slurping up her daily McFlurry.

I'm thinking she's not used to eating fruit and has no idea that grapes are sold by the pound.

Soda is a straight up fucking addiction, dude. I had it in middle and high school, and I've seen it on family members. Shit is fucked. Not that I'm excusing it.

I'm willing to bet that consuming 6lbs of grapes in one go would produce some epic shits.

>I'm thinking she's not used to eating fruit

Considering she seems to be under the impression that it's better to eat fast food than real food if you're on a budget, I don't doubt your claim.

Where I live the cherries were in about a month ago. A bag of cherries the size of one of those bags of grapes was over $10. Right now those raspberries would be $4-$6 depending on where you got them.

But I can get muck melons for $1 each because the local crop came in and they're all going to go bad in a week. When the local apples come it they'll be cheap. My point is fruit is really seasonal and very perishable. It's pretty cheap if you buy what's in season where you are. Ignore that and it can be crazy expensive.

That adds to my "she has no idea what she is doing" theory

>Food prices vary from region to region
Wow!

B-but Dairy Queen has fruit smoothies all the time! And a large cherry smoothie is only like four bucks! What kind of sense does it make that a cherry smoothie costs less than a bag of cherries, AND stays the same price year round? Understanding fruit is too hard! Why can't it just be as simple as ordering off a menu?!

I can get all this shit organic from Amazon Prime Fresh for $24.95 delivered to my home in the middle of fuckin Manhattan. Try harder, fatty.

Wow, you really nailed it on the head. People so used to buying shelf-stable shit that's available all year round are confused by seasonal availability and prices.

The picture isn't wrong on so many levels, the picture accurately represents what a gigantic swath of america deals with, based on both location/proximity to cities and income.

This is absolutely a real issue and is absolutely responsible for a lot of the obesity epidemic.

Consider this: there are tens of millions of people in america who have to drive more than 15 miles (one way) to buy any fresh produce.

Yes humans are fallible, and are at fault, but when you make human faults easier than human successes, and subject such flawed beings to them, what can you really expect?

This is pretty much the one excuse people DO have for being fat. It's that big of an issue.

This is an outright lie, mcdonalds does not cost anywhere near that much. also they fibbed the figures by doing shit like buy a big mac instead of 2 mcdoubles (which is more food for less money)

Okay, but she isn't complaining about having to drive 15 miles to buy it; she's complaining that it inexplicably cost $32 (and nobody can seem to make that claim add up).

Though it is a bad example, the cost issue is a real issue as well. Consider that many poor parents work two part time jobs and then have a choice of either cooking for an hour or buying their child a $4 happy meal that is filling and what they want

>and what they want
While it is what they want, it's not what they need. My parents both worked and I can count the number of time we ate at restaurants every years on my hands, mostly when traveling.

Big Mac Meal: $5.99 x 2 = $11.98
Cheeseburger: $1 x 1 = $1
6 McNuggets: $1.99 x 1 = $1.99
Small fries: $1.39 x 2 = $2.78
Small cokes: $1 x 2 = $2

$19.75. Which is still more expensive than the fresh food. And you only get 4 McNuggets these days.

>Consider that many poor parents work two part time jobs and then have a choice of either cooking for an hour or buying their child a $4 happy meal that is filling and what they want

That is no excuse. I grew up with two parents who had to work multiple jobs just to make ends meet, and they STILL took the time to make meals. They might not have always been the healthiest meals, but even then my parents knew that it would be a waste of money to constantly buy me and my brothers McDonalds just because they were too tired to make something. It is the responsibility of a parent to do what is best for their child, and that includes making sure they get proper nutrition, even if it means taking on a little bit more work to make dinner most (if not all) nights.

>Consider that many poor parents work two part time jobs and then have a choice of either cooking for an hour or buying their child a $4 happy meal that is filling and what they want

Total bullshit. Even if you're working 16 hours a day, your child comes first. You find the time. Cook at the weekend, portion it and put it in the freezer so that they can reheat it. Learn simple & effective meals; you can cook from fresh in 10 minutes, if you learn & practice.

If you have the time to go to McDonalds, you have the time to cook. Every time.

A big part of buying "healthy" food is that you also have to cook it. People seem to forget that. A family who was close to ours, that lives up the street, has two daughters. Neither of them is very thin, and it's because the dad cooks not the mom, and the dad goes out of state on business.

When the girls had sports games when they were younger, the mom would just take them out to eat instead. Indeed, that's the case for quite a few parents because of their kids. You work a 9 to 5 job (Or whatever; 7:30-4) after getting your kids up, potentially take them to practice, go to games, deal with anything else they need, they have homework, you're tired, you need to help them with homework.

Yes, the cost of food when eating out is higher, but convenience is a major factor. It can take 30 minutes to an hour to make a meal that's good for one night. Yes, you can make a meal and stretch it out, but it's a combination of budget and time/effort spent. Not every family is THAT poor that they can't afford basic groceries, but preparing a meal you expect everyone in the family to eat several nights in a row is a bit daunting, particularly when there's three meals in the day you need to account for for all family members.

What're you going to do, collapse from exhaustion after coming home and not wake until you go to work the next day? People who can't give their children an hour of time (and most meal don't even take an hour to make, are these ghetto people making a goddamned souffle?) should never have been parents to begin with. It's laziness and entitlement.

it doesn't matter how you grew up. it isn't about it being an "excuse". it's about humans being simple animals

you set people up to make decisions;. if you set them up to make the wrong ones they make the wrong ones. it's far easier.

we need things to be set up so that people can more easily make the right decisions. blaming people doesn't make things better

>Even if you're working 16 hours a day, your child comes first.
in an ideal world, but that isn't how people think in reality. and we don't deal with ideals, we deal with reality

The problem is ignorance, not cost.

A nine to five gives you five easy hours (5-10) in which to make a meal. Or, do it in the morning, where you concievably have and hour or so and can freeze it afterwards.

We're talking lower to lower middle class parents here, not Japanese salarymen who spend every possible second working and ignoring their families out of necessity. Barring outliers like illness, tragedy, or accident, there is absolutely no reason one can't have enough time to cook for their children at some point in the day.

But eating healthier ISN'T fucking cheaper. I still don't think it is an excuse but still. Just using Asda (UK Walmart) online prices I put this together

>cheaper to eat healthy.
*Healthily.
Why do you retards struggle with this word so much?

In bongistan You can get a fair amount of pretty much any fruit for £1, I refuse to believe fruit that doesn't have some hipster label designed to Jew fad diet morons costs that much in america

Some of these people didn't want to become parents, but did it anyway because of not being told about condoms and such

Are you saying they should just abort it?

My wife and I each worked a 10 hour day yesterday. When I got home I made fried eggplant parmesan in about 45 minutes. When the familia and I were done with dinner, Rosa cleaned our dishes and I dismissed her for the day as her services were no longer needed. My wife and beautiful daughters and I retired to our poolside grotto where we made s'mores by a fire and warmed ourselves inbetween laps in the pool.

I will never understand how these Negros dont have time to cook for themselves. I am a very busy man and i still find time to cook for my loved ones several times a week.

>We're talking lower to lower middle class parents here

Yes, parents who want their kids to take advantage of opportunities like, as I said, sports. Or extra-curricular shit. Things that make it hard to cook on the kids' schedules. Until you actually have kids who get involved with athletics/band and have to deal with it, particularly if you're in a strapped economic situation, I don't believe you can act like it's that easy.

>healthy coke

fucking toddler

Poor people are largely stupid, lazy, and incompetant. As someone who grew up around them it's incredible the kinds of things they eat at home. Literally NONE of it is home made. They don't know how to cook, and why should they when someone else can do it for them? But nobody will admit that they can't or just don't want to cook for their children. Instead it's "I'm such a good hard worker that I just don't have time" or "My children really want McDonald's and they just won't eat anything else!" It's vile, because instead of confronting their shortcomings and exploring different options they excuse things they KNOW are wrong.

Apologists in this thread are doing the same thing. They were raised in lower middle class single story ranch houses and raised on a diet of kraft mac'n cheese and happy meals. But instead of acknowledging their parents were lazy they justify it, because they've never known anything else. While it's not the same situation at all, it's the same mechanism present in abusive relationships.

>It can take 30 minutes to an hour to make a meal that's good for one night.
>one night

Lasagna. Meatloaf. Mac 'n cheese (homemade, not Kraft). Stew. Shepherds pie. Curry. Pizza. Chili. Fried rice. Roast chicken. Soup.

Do not tell me that it is impossible for families with limited time to cook can't make something that easily stretches the week, because that's a damned fucking lie. If you can set aside 30 minutes to an hour every 2-3 days, you can easily make large, shareable meals that give your kids proper nutrition with less effort on your part.

Oh, you want something that's less daunting? Remove curry, roast chicken and shepherds pie from my list. You think you won't have any time AT ALL because you're working so much that week? Chili and stew can cook in a crock pot while you're at fucking work.

>that pic
You're ignoring the fact that you're still gonna have shit left over after one meal. Or are you seriously gonna use that lettuce, salt, olive oil, etc. on a single burger?
Cooking for yourself is much cheaper and is healthier.

Also,
>diet coke
>healthy

*all of that lettuce, salt, olive oil, etc.

>Bun seeds
>Humous and more salt

Good work user. Convert those prices into dollars and be sure to use it in a troll thread.

Aldi has 2 pounds of grapes for $1.59, it's a sale but there is always something on sale.
Beans are super healthy and 59 cent a can, even cheaper if you buy dry beans

>In bongistan You can get a fair amount of pretty much any fruit for £1

You can't get a whole pineapple for £1 anywhere I've seen. Things like cherries and raspberries are expensive out of season, natch.

>baby food as part of the order
I want this notion to fucking die already. Once they're off milk babies can eat just about anything that we can provided you can make it easy for them to chew (within reason, you don't want to give a one year old some five-alarm chili). I am fully convinced that processed baby food is one of the primary reasons there's a societal hatred towards vegetables, because if you process the shit out of peas and make a slurry out of them, then it's no fucking wonder that they taste like absolute ass and that's the only taste you associate with them.

You grody little cunt, I set black beans on the crockpot yesterday morning, bought two pounds of salmon on sale for 12.99 on the way home from work, got back at 6, and made dinner for my family in thirty minutes yesterday. I do dishes by hand in fifteen minutes afterwards. There is NOTHING preventing someone else from doing that aside from a crippling injury.

Some people don't ask to be sent to war, but they don't roll over and die when it happens. They might be stupid, or it might just be a mistake, but one has to accept responsibility for what they've done and learn to cope with it. Just because they don't want to be parents doesn't mean they're unable to be, in which case it, again, becomes a matter of laziness.

>muh aspartame is bad maymay

>healthy coke

Damn that sucks, just about any fruit and veg stall and grocer or supermarket sells that many cherries for like £2-3. Talking like $3-5 max.

>Lasagna. Meatloaf. Mac 'n cheese (homemade, not Kraft). Stew. Shepherds pie. Curry. Pizza. Chili. Fried rice. Roast chicken. Soup.

Thank you. Shit, you can portion & freeze most of those. Literally all you have to do is take a portion out of the freezer in the morning, and heat it up in the evening: I'll give you a free Veeky Forums pass and allow the use of a microwave, even.

Hell, you can make & cook four fucking beef burgers from a pack of (ground) beef (mince) in 10 minutes. Use a larger pack of beef, make more and freeze those.

>being sent to war is the same as having an unplanned pregnancy
Well your analogy fits. In both cases, if they aren't good at it, there will be innocent casualties.

Where kids are has little to do with a parent's ability to prepare a meal. Buying healthy food, or even subsistence food like rice or beans, is CHEAPER than unhealthy, packaged alternatives and alleviates financial strain.

Do you seriously think diet coke, or any soda for that matter, is healthy? You don't need it, just drink water.

Why reply to obvious bait?

You're just shitting up the board.

>Why reply to obvious bait?

I was genuinely impressed with it, as a pure work of bait. I was encouraging him to use it appropriately.

I understand it was bait, but that doesn't stop the genuine rage I feel towards people who honestly think that they HAVE to feed jar baby food to their newborns. That shit is just revolting.

Doesn't bother me one bit. I enjoy eating seasonally as fuck. It's almost hard to keep up with this time of the year. The last peaches are coming in, melons are everywhere, the pears and apples are about a month away. I got some early pears from just south of here that were fucking delicious, so that's something to look forward to. And I'm practically overrun with tomatoes and cucumbers from my own garden.

Not really in the position to be pining for cherries.

Fair enough, its a strange concept as I can go to dozens of places and they stock fruit and veg all year round.

If you're in a bad financial situation and your kids are doing sports, the last fucking thing you're going to do is buy them fast food. Fuck, even making a four-ingredient tuna goulash is better than fucking McDonalds.

I got a whole pineapple slightly taller than a 500ml bottle for 75p

Where dis?

Morrison's

>Fuck, even making a four-ingredient tuna goulash is better than fucking McDonalds.

This. Hell, make a tuna pasta. Boil up some macaroni, add a tin of tuna. If you really, really, can't be bothered to make a quick white-sauce while the pasta is boiling, hell just use mayo. But it'll still be a fraction of the price of the McDonald's and healthier.

Ah, shame. I'm in the South West and there's precisely one Morrisons anywhere near me. And by "near" I mean "on the other side of town". I'll just pay the extra for a pineapple from Asda.

this is wrong on so many levels.
first off the alternative to fast food is not just organic fast food.

then you would still have so much food left over for coming meals. as a student in a mid size European city i eat for about 30 euros a week and that is by shopping for cheap stuff at higher end stores, if i went with cheaper stores i could save even more. you want to learn to eat cheap, start by not consuming more than 120% of your daily amount of protein, fat and sugar

That picture is a lie.

32 - 2 (nuts) = 30. Does she really expect us to believe each of those items is a little over 5 dollars?

Ignorance and time. Eating healthy tends to take more effort - meals need to be prepared right before serving for optimal flavor, groceries need to be purchased once a week or more.

Poor people tend to work a lot, come home exhausted, and want to eat something quick and dirty. Convenience is the killer

I lived in the south for a period and I was still able to get dirt cheap fruit from street stalls, are there any street markets near you not run by hipsters or middle class people trying to look fancy

both my parents work full time jobs, and as pretty high ups they typically work more then just their hours. we get eat home cooked food 6 days a week and since i've been old enough i've been cooking that seventh day. they manage to do homework with the children pick em up from school (usually). no maids or gardeners of the sort. they ride horses twice a week, we are not strapped for cash though, so i guess that adds a bit of flexibility to some things. but i truely believe there is no excuse for not being able to homecook a meal, a simple dish for 7 can easily be prepared in 15 mins

I can get whatever I want any time of year as well. But the stuff that isn't local and/or in season isn't nearly as good (or as cheap) as what is, especially when it comes to fruit.

The supermarket has done a really good at getting people away from eating what's in season. It doesn't much matter for utility produce, but it does make a difference when it comes to fruit.

>No rice, beans, lentils, cheap chicken, or frozen vegetables

Person is a fucking idiot anyway, who needs to giant bags of grapes? A pineapple? Rasberries? Fucking idiot can't shop for shit.

>meals need to be prepared right before serving for optimal flavor
Cook stews or curries. These reheat and taste just as good if not better than freshly cooked. I cook once every three days.

>out of season non-local fruits
>nuts
Yeah, might as well add some saffron

>meals need to be prepared right before serving for optimal flavor
Poor people care about optimal flavor.

Also what is?
>Lasagna
>Stews
>Chile
And many more.

>groceries need to be purchased once a week or more.
Fast food needs to be purchased every day.

>Poor people tend to work a lot, come home exhausted, and want to eat something quick and dirty
Why can't they pop in a frozen healthy meal then?

I'm pretty damn poor but I hardly eat like junk. Chicken breast is as cheap as you can get, and it's simple to cook.

Yeah, you can buy more junk food with your money but you also won't get the health benefits nor stay as full with them.

I agree that food prices can be fucked in places, but making good nutritional choices also helps cut costs. Many people, especially in America, are not educated when it comes to eating properly. They see what people are eating on TV or in magazines, and think that elaborate, huge meals are necessary. They don't understand how to make complete meals with just the basics or what those basics even are.

I mean hell, this was my shopping haul just two weeks ago, and it lasted me ALL WEEK. The total cost? $19.

>You grody little cunt

What did I say to upset you? I was just recalling how I had cooked for my family the other day. I dont see why other people would have a hard time doing the same. I had time to swim and make s'mores over a camp fire the same evening... Plenty of time.

>salmon and black beans
Disgusting.

People drink fucking soda for breakfast. Complaining about healthy vs fast food is irrelevant when everyone drinks their calories.
t. dietitian

ofc its going to be expensive if you buy fucking strawberries, grapes and pinapples
you want cheap and healthy cabbage, carrots. cauliflower pretty much every thing a fatty wouldent even consider eating is dirt cheap and healthy

>They see what people are eating on TV or in magazines, and think that elaborate, huge meals are necessary. They don't understand how to make complete meals with just the basics or what those basics even are.

And people act like this is somehow preventable, but for the general public, it's the same as saying "Oh, why do beauty ads portray women a certain way?" It's because women, and men, will fall for it when they see it constantly.

These things you see in the media impact your perception of it. I'm not saying that this completely excuses the idiocy of the average person, but similar to advertising bullshit for beauty, there needs to be a more concerted effort towards cheap, easy-to-make, healthy meals.

Part of that is, though, that if you're NOT eating some elaborate meal why even bother? If you're just eating homemade fish, rice/beans, and some sort of vegetable, it may not seem very glamorous, and people don't necessarily want to be reminded of their shortcomings more than necessary. Some people can live with it, but again, it's an image thing and telling people to "get over it" isn't going to help when bullshit advertising and media is created the way it is for a reason.

Nah I'm out in the 'burbs.

And I don't want to forget condiments. Why do women have to down breakfast foods in butter and syrup?

> bitch orders oatmeal
> wants 4 pads butters
> wants 4 containers of syrup
> mfw I realize the oatmeal was only supposed to give the condiments texture

>They don't understand how to make complete meals with just the basics or what those basics even are
You know, say what you will about Alton Brown (lord knows he deserves most of it), but at least Good Eats TRIED to teach people the basics of food.

health is genetic
whatever you choose to eat will affect it minimally

you're a retard and somehow you manage to believe you're not as retarded as other retards
good job