Deep fryer oil

I spaced out and left oil in the deep fryer overnight. Am I still good to filter and refrigerate it or should I throw it out? It's probably been in there for about 12 hours now.

nigga that shit good for another few uses

I mean it';s never gonna be as good as the first fry but you can leave that shit for days and get a good 3 or 4 uses out of it

Assuming this isn't bait, bitch I've had the same oil in my deep frying pan for the past 4 months. It doesn't go bad. I just add a new bottle of oil every once in a while to replenish. The older oil gets, the more seasoned and wonderful it becomes. I only throw out oil I use for cooking fish.

>owning a deep frier

Do Americans really do this

Brit here and how the fuck else are you gonna get your fries and onion rings crispy delicious?

Why the AirFryer《tm》of course+

>AirFryer
do they actually work well or is it merely a meme product?

meme product

oil shouldn't go off, i keep my olive oil out with a Pour Spout in it and it's fine, repeated frying will leave bits in the oil but again the oil will stop them from rotting. keep it till its turns orangey or when you want a fresh clean fry

I agree it's a meme product.

shame, it sounds like a great concept

I honestly feel like it's close to not being a meme product. You don't get the same taste at all but it does make things crispy and hot. There's some decent comparison videos on YouTube and it's interesting to see that it fries chicken fairly decently

Strain that oil, keep the big pieces out and little bits that will just burn and leave char in your frying liquid. If you use your fryer every day you can keep the strained oil in the fryer after you use it so it will be good to go the next day. If you only use your fryer every few days or you are short on counter space store your used oil in a separate jar and bring it out when you start up the fryer. Even if you strain it after every use you will find the oil will eventually notice the oil will get darker after every use, and if you notice a smell coming from it you should change it out and start with fresh oil.

What is the difference between a hit air oven and a air fryer?

Oil lasts at least a year in a deep fryer if you're not a retard and burn it. If you're extra lazy, you don't even have to filter it.

Even if you used your fryer once a year, keeping used oil that long would be pretty gross.

It can sour, but you'd be able to tell by smelling it. if it doesn't smell like ronald mcdonalds crotch you're probably good. if it has a disgusting fast food smell. ditch it.

OP here. Wish you guys had posted before I went to bed. I thought it smelled a little off so I tossed it out. Sucks, I probably wasted a few dollars there, but oh well. Turns out I wasn't paying attention when I bought it anyway and ended up buying blended peanut and soybean oil. Everything still tasted fine but I still feel tricked.

Doesn't even need to be refrigerated.

Well all the shit I googled said it should. Said that it was still possible for bacteria and mold to grow in oil, especially oil with bits of food in it. Although I'm now remembering that people have used oil to preserve food for thousands of years

Isn't the whole point of oil that bacteria doesn't grow on it

Uhm, no. The point of cooking with oil is that it can be heated to temperatures above that of water.

Also, we aren't talking about pure oil. Used fryer oil contains little bits of food, etc.

While I'm not sure about the antibacterial properties of oil, I'm pretty sure that it's not the whole point of the oil. I thought the point was that it gets really hot without evaporating and it's hydrophobic so it actually dries food instead of making it all soggy.

You are probably fine. As soon as you heat that shit up, nothing would survive in it.

oil goes bad because of oxidation. This occurs in three ways (least to most):

1) Exposure to air
2) High Heat
3) Contact with other foods

These all occur over time. There are various ways you can slow the process down (filter the oil, keep it in an airtight container when not in use. Not leaving in on in the fryer all night).

Unless the oil was in full contact with a lot of food it would be fine for another use. Color of the oil is a decent indicator.

Bad only will make your food taste bad before it can make you sick, but dirty oil also gives you more cancer so it is a good idea to change it up every few times.

Thanks for the tips. I already threw out the oil that I made this thread about, but I'll keep this in mind in the future.

Yeah, that pretty much covers it.

The thing to understand is that all of these things are slow processes. You can keep your oil for a LONG time and MANY uses before any of those become a problem.

I have a deep fryer in my kitchen. I change the oil when I can tell that it tastes weird. I strain the oil through a fine sieve every once in a while. Otherwise I just leave it in the fryer, at room temp, with the cover on. I get about two dozen uses out of a single batch of oil. If I bothered to filter it every use or stored it in the fridge I'm sure it would last longer, but honestly I've never found the need. Even with minimal care it lasts a long time.

No problem the oil you threw out was garbage anyway.

Also forgot to add the process that causes oil to go bad is very similar (if not identical, not a chemist) to the process that causes cancer so that is why it is a good idea to change it / slow down the process. Vegetable oils are actually more likely to do that. For that reason I enjoy coconut oil

>is very similar (if not identical, not a chemist) to the process that causes cancer

Lol, it's blatantly obvious that you are not a chemist. That sentence is pretty much nonsense. There is no single "process that causes cancer".

It's still fine, but don't listen to these faggots. Re-use fry oil, but don't leave it in your frier. Put it back into it's container. Oils go rancid when exposed to air for too long, and the surface area of your oil when left in a frier is much higher so it has much more air exposure.

No, but free radicals is what contributes to both the oil going bad and is a contributor of cancer.