Mom wants an electric pressure cooker. Don't know anything about them. Which one should I get? She wants a good one

Mom wants an electric pressure cooker. Don't know anything about them. Which one should I get? She wants a good one .

Other urls found in this thread:

seriouseats.com/2016/08/equipment-the-best-pressure-cookers-review.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The cheapest one you can find.
Don't fall for the premium price meme

>The cheapest one you can find.
This. Make sure it fits in a back pack and is easily transportable.

I use a InstantPot LUX60, bought because of this blog post:
wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2014/07/instant-pot-electronic-pressure-cooker.html

It works very well. I haven't tried any other one so I can't compare it. It has a stainless steel pot, which makes it easy to clean. I would not recommend one without a stainless steel pot. I use it about 3 times a week cooking in bulk.

Get a stove-top pressure cooker. Stove-top pressure cookers will last a lot longer, and they can be rapidly depressurized by pouring cold water over them in the sink.

I have a presto 01370 8 quart pressure cooker. It is very good for the price.

seriouseats.com/2016/08/equipment-the-best-pressure-cookers-review.html

They're a huge pain in the ass compared to electric ones. I had one years ago but I hardly ever used it because it was so much hassle. You have to constantly adjust the stove to get the temperature right or you'll fill the kitchen with steam. I threw it out after the non-stick coating failed. Electric ones don't need non-stick because they automatically regulate the temperature.

>You have to constantly adjust the stove to get the temperature right or you'll fill the kitchen with steam.

I've never had that problem. Once I used the cooker for the first time I remembered what the knob setting was, so it's super simple: put cooker on the hob. Set hob to full blast. When it comes up to pressure then lower the heat to whatever setting is right (for me, that's a 1.5 on the dial).

>>nonstick
Useless crap. Food should never stick in a pressure cooker because it's always moist inside. It's pointless to make a non-stick one.

I agree that it's convenient how the electric models maintain their temp. But that said, I don't really care for them because there's so much more that can go wrong with one whereas the old-school kind is pretty much indestructible. Also, the electric ones tend to be too small for many applications.

what are you cooking? I just cooking beans, lentils, and veggies and meat sometimes. Were you using a gas stove? I use a glass top electric stove.

Breville fast slow pro.

Moistness is not sufficient to prevent sticking, because with no stirring there can be localized hot spots.

Cooking all those things + grains. I had a gas stove when I was using the old fashioned pressure cooker, but I have a glass top electric now.

>Moistness is not sufficient to prevent sticking, because with no stirring there can be localized hot spots.

Again, I haven't had that problem. And I've been using 3 different pressure cookers for years. Maybe yours was just really thin and thus was prone to hotspotting? I have a Magnefesa (stainless), Kuhn Rikon (stainless w/ disc bottom), and an "All-American" (aluminum). None of them have ever had issues with food sticking.

>Maybe yours was just really thin and thus was prone to hotspotting?
Probably, it was some cheap shit.

But even if more expensive ones don't have that problem, I'll never go back to traditional style now that I know the convenience of electric. Completely automated one button cooking is well worth the money.

>gas stove
That could be part of the problem.
>grains
When cooking grains, you have to cook them in a metal bowl on a trivet inside the pressure cooker. They tell you to cover the bowl but in my experience that makes a bigger mess for some reason, so I leave the bowl uncovered.

When cooking lentils, I've found that soaking them in their cooking water 2 hrs before cooking eliminates all sticking, and cuts cooking time by 80%. Though with grains being cooked in a separate bowl, you won't have sticking anyway.

Get one rated for frying so she can do pressurized frying.

>When cooking grains, you have to cook them in a metal bowl on a trivet inside the pressure cooker.
Not with an electric one, just put everything directly in the steel pot and press the button. Only time you need anything else is the wire frame for steaming vegetables to keep them out of the water.

I was looking at this one because it has a ceramic coated pot that will be easier to clean. Is there any benefit to a ceramic coating for a pressure cooker?

Perfect for when I go to my coworkers party

If you're going for crazy good, get Cuckoo. Comes with a shit ton of settings, and lasts pretty long, if not indefinitely.

A pot with a special coating will be more difficult to clean, because you have to be careful not to scratch the coating. I clean my stainless steel pressure cooker with a scouring pad, which takes about 1 minute.

And that's only 6 quart. An 8 quart is much nicer.

Anyone got advice on a new slow cooker?
The one we have works ok, but it has a habit of turning itself off randomly so you need to keep watching it every half hour or so.

ALHAMDULILLAH!¡!¡!¡

this is a pressure cooker thread. Slow cookers are for sloths.