If I mix bread yeast with sugar water, will it ferment into alcohol?

If I mix bread yeast with sugar water, will it ferment into alcohol?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilju
eckraus.com/wine-making-applejack
youtube.com/watch?v=Gf95Amqi0vY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It will ferment into mash that you may then distil to make consumable spirits.

Can't you just drink the mash?

Yeah. But it will be weakly alcoholic. Like beer.

I can live with that. Thanks user.

and it will taste like shit

I made my first mead with bread yeast. Mixed honey with water and bread yeast in a wine bottle, put cling film over the top and wrapped a rubber band around it. Shit actually tasted pretty good, and got all my friends drunk as fuck. That yeasty flavour went pretty well with the boozy taste of a young wine, and that little touch of honey flavour.

That's what kvass is.

WARNING WARNING! you have to find a way to let air out but in in, or it will turn in to vinegar

but not in *

How long should I let it ferment? Is it okay to put it next to the water heater for comfy temp?

What is and from where?

Mason jar work?

>air out
And there's me thinking it was Carbon Dioxide that gets produced by the fermentation process.
Thanks for the advice, user.

Fermentation creates gases. All you have to do is loosly seal it and escaping gases should keep out vinegar bacterias and wild yeast. Or spend 25 cents on an airlock.

>How long should I let it ferment?
Until it stops bubbling.

>Is it okay to put it next to the water heater for comfy temp?
Yes.

>>Mason Jar
No. Google "brewing airlock". There are plenty of easy DIY options.

Close enough to get the point across.

A month or two. If you wanna do ghetto wine, which I will say is very fun, there's no exact numbers to it. If you wanna be a little more precise though, use a balloon instead of cling film, and poke a tiny hole in it. Put that over the mouth of your vessel, and the balloon will inflate and gass will escape the tiny hole, and when it starts to deflate it's done.

Just buy it from a store

My dad makes his own wine as a hobby and has made other types of alcohol too.
I can't help you at all tho, I hate my disgusting two face drunk fathers guts and I hope drinking kills him

Thanks. I used a rubber glove, and it seems to work okay. It's already burping :3

What should we name it?

Are you oke :(

Yes, but it will taste bad. Ideally use champagne yeast (it's cheap) and yeast nutrient. If you add the sugar and nutrient gradually over several days you can get higher alcohol ABV than if you feed it to the yeast all at once. Also if you use fruit juice instead of water it will taste better.

You can make an airlock yourself by punching a hole in the lid, fitting in a rubber tube with some putty as sealing and putting the other end in a water-filled jar

I've done this with a friend before, you might want to use juice or something to add flavor, obviously the juice will have sugar in it
We used Welch's grape juice and it just tasted like shitty wine

You're less likely to get vinegar than you think. I fermented a bunch of plums just with the wild yeast they have on them, in a dirty bucket woth a wet towel over it in my back yard, and it turned out great.

I'm not convinced that this isn't an elaborate Finnish prank

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilju

Me and a friend once made something like that in highschool, filled up one of those big gallon arizona ice tea with sugar water and yeast. Tasted like ass but i definitely got us drunk, one of the worst hangovers of my life after drinking that shit.

On the same note of arizona, one time I had one of those gallons filled with green tea, didn't drink it for awhile and when I opened it it smelled like beer. would I have gotten drunk off that? It was literally only green tea in there I didnt fuck with it at all. Also it was sitting in the fridge not refrigerated or anything

>Also it was sitting in the fridge not refrigerated or anything
I fucked that up, it was sitting in the laundry room not refrigerated or anything

Eh. makes sense. That's basic homebrewing.

You fucking guys.
Get a gallon jug and unscrew the lid half way for automatic airlock. Use apple juice with an added cup of sugar and some honey for the best tasting slosh.
Ferment for at least two weeks or until it smells dank.
When you removed the lid, shake the brew slightly to force the oxygen back out if continuing fermentation.

Yes.

Use apple juice and sugar instead. Speaking of which, whats the best way to lower the water content of my cider?

Just be sure to sanitize everything that the ingredients come in contact with before hand or else you'll make vinegar.

I like using unfiltered apple juice for this.

cu/ck/ juice

your going to have a motherfucker of a stomach ache, just fair warning.

>no one in this thread except me has made prison hooch

So apple mush basically? It probably matters little if you filter it at the end. I find even after double filtering i have about 1cm of sedement after each fermentation. It might be yeast i wonder.

In fact i kind of forgot about my cider, its probs a few months old now

I have. You should siphon to leave the shit on the bottom, filter well, and then maybe freeze distill a little bit.

Still will probably give you more of a hangover and stomach ache compared to regular hooch due to being shit-tier, though.

>>no one in this thread except me has made prison hooch
I've made plenty of raisin jack and it will get you drunk but you can't freeze the water out unless you have a friend in the kitchen and you can't distill so, it is whatever the yeast makes it

>you can't freeze the water out unless you have a friend in the kitchen and you can't distill

What?

I read it three times and gave up

PRISON hooch, you fucking cucks. Like, if your in prison you can't freeze shit unless you know someone in the kitchen.

God damn dude just go buy some mad dog

jen/ck/em

Applejack it. Take your cider and throw it in the freezer. Thewater will freeze before the alcohol, so drain the alcohol off afterwards. Repeat this 2-4 times, or until the cide/applejck doesn't freeze anymore. It'll be about 40% at that point

This is bait right?

well fuck
eckraus.com/wine-making-applejack

No, not really but I can tell you from exp that jacking will hardly work on slosh and if it does, it will taste 10 times worse.
Your best bet is to simply ferment for as long as humanly possible. Then pour off the liquid above the sediment slowly and filter it at least 3 times. You will not enjoy live yeast in your stomach.
Once again do not jack this stuff, it will add 4 or 5 days to the process and taste like shit.

I drink the mash as it is. I have tried different flavour combinations however it will still taste like yeast. Your best bet is to buy some yeast which can ferment up to about 17% and read the instructions. Cheap and efficient way to get drunk, but you get what you pay for.
Worst case scenario you can sell it to the emos by the underpass.

Pic related, what's left of my batch.

Questions:

>have you ever tried using just a bit of bakers yeast?
For examplewhen baking bread making a biga (1g) per 2 or 3 liters of must but didn't tried yet.
>what about wild yeast?
Right now I have a 30ยบ brix brown sugar solution and I plan to let it open to the air for 4 days, then locking it for more two weeks (read this somewhere but cannot remember where). I plan to try an entire fermentation open to the air because I never had trouble with tepache turning into vinegar. Vinegar takes a bit longer to form.

I made a gallon in the winter in my room (~65 degrees) from pure apple juice, fleischmanns, a cup of sugar, a couple tbsp hfcs syrup and maybe 5-6 tbsp honey. Three weeks I left it and after filtering, it was the best tasting, clearest product I've made and the buzz was off the wall. It went up to at least 13 or 14% from the rapid rise yeast, which is damn impressive.
Highly suggest using a fresh container of apple juice instead of water, it comes pasteurized, saves a lot of time, ferments stronger and tastes hundreds of times better than standard water/sugar/yeast slosh, which is repulsive to the point it's hard to get drunk off of.
Definitely try winter brewing or store it in the basement if you don't have mold/moisture issues.
Like I said earlier, airlocks are not necessary, just untwist the cap of the jug you use slightly so that c02 can escape and don't fuck with it.

tips for wild yeast:

start small, build up. innoculate with a liter or less of starter liquid. overnight is plenty, you could probably get away with 4-6 hours, I can pretty much guarantee if you leave it for 4 days you will grow mold.

allow the yeast at least a month to ferment before tasting, or else you risk growing up airborn harmful bacteria (e-coli)

usually when I capture wild yeast they don't attenuate very well, so I let them ferment out and then repitch an ale yeast to ferment the rest of the way.

"HFCS syrup"
What I meant was that brown hfcs liquid us americans call pancake syrup.

How?

Are you saying I should get a cup of must, let it open overnight to catch the yeast, then add the cup to a liter, let the liter ferment for another night then pour this into 3 liters?

assuming must = wort, I would make a half liter, leave it overnight outside (in some bushes or underneith a fruit tree if possible) in a sanitized open container covered with a sanitized cheesecloth. then I'd transfer it to something you can put an airlock on and leave it in that for a month. after that you should be able to repitch into a gallon, after 2-3 weeks, up it to 5 gallons.

Ja/ck/

must = sugary substrate for fermentation (apple juice to produce cider, molasses for rum)
worth = boiled liquid containing sugar that was converted from starch by heat (like you do in beer)
Maybe I'm wrong.

I read a 500+ pages book about fermentation and almost every recipe called for a inoculum but in any moment they said how to produce the inoculum.
Do you know how to produce the starter for tempeh? I could buy the starter but thanks to marketing it cures cancer and everything then they are very expensive. Also my biggest problem with buying starters is knowing that people produced this foods/beverages using nothing. Buying starters feels like cheating.

I'm a beer brewer by profession so I'm talking from that standpoint.

from a quick google it looks like tempeh is made with a very specific fungus, so I think buying a pitch would be your best bet. if you innoculate with ambient yeast/bacterial, odds are you'll get a huge variety of wild things, and not the fungus you're looking for

Well, that escalated quickly. I recommend pouring methyl alcohol in his drinks if you want him dead, though.

While it probably was slightly alcoholic, I wouldnt trust that it didnt have some other bacteria ready to fuck your shit up, like botulism or some -coccus shit.

National drink for those who can't afford vodka or beer.
youtube.com/watch?v=Gf95Amqi0vY

>buy some yeast which can ferment up to about 17%
Champaign yeast will easily reach 17% if you feed it gradually.