Industry thread

Who else plans to leave this terrible industry? 6 years in the kitchen and I'm planning to become a brewer

I just got out of 2 years at a brew pub and asked the brewer almost every day to take me on as his assistant. ("They barely have enough money to pay me!" is what he'd say.)

As soon as fucking possible.

FOH, BOH, both shit.

im that guy who talks about quitting every fucking day but has been there longer than anyone else

i think i'll quit this coming slow season and go to winn dixie to learn about meat.

Why don't you go into a field that actually makes money?

Job prospects are awful in Canada, cooking is basically garunteed poverty, I'm hopefully going to brew in the states

>in the food industry
>wants to be a brewer
or you know, maybe you could get a real job

I'm too old/don't want to spend 60k going to university/ not interested in anything else. I'm a great painter and cook but neither pay

One more year of this shit until I finish my Mechatronics degree. I won't miss the work, but I'll miss the people.

Brewers are glorified janitors.

Fuck leaving. Just finished my second night at a new job and I feel great.

Second job in the industry, it feels really good to be taking in a different kitchen and starting over again.

Kitchen seems like a universally terrible job. Relatively low pay, super stressful, appalling hours.

Why do it?

Fun. Bants. Blow.

There weren't many jobs I could get when I was 16.

I worked as KP, barista, waiter and assistant manager.
Now i'm trying to become a sommelier but i have a feeling that things are always going to be shit

Left 5 years ago and couldnt be happier. Just do it. Unless you plan on owning your own restaurant then there no need to put up with that shit

>get a real job
That doesn't work for everyone. And usually the kind of people who suggest it are miserable at their "real jobs", and think everybody else ought to be just as miserable. Fuck that.

Because they have low IQs and no discernible skills or talent. Usually on the autism spectrum as well so hiding them away in the kitchen works well.

I spent my teen years and some of my early 20s working in kitchens, then I jumped the fence and worked in R&D for a stint before becoming a food inspector.

>barista

Most cooks yes, are dropouts and criminals, many are smart and never wanted a 9-5. To say they're unskilled is a bit much though, you couldn't hack 1 service in fine dining, I've competed for Le Coupe du Monde de la Pâtisserie, something suits couldn't even comprehend the difficulty of.