Coffee thread!

Coffee thread!

How deep have you gone down the rabbit hole?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bznDjbQLzMo
store.georgehowellcoffee.com/coffees/tarrazu-costa-rica-.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

All the fucking way and then some.

>there are grown "men" that watch that

>A man can't watch cute girls doing cute things
I bet you eat steak, drink whiskey and have sex with a lot of women, you handsome manly man.

>A man can't watch cute girls doing cute things
No, he totally can. He should just admit to having severe autism.

Off topic but what anime is that?

gochiusa

I want to die
But I also finally found a measuring cup in my new place so I can enjoy my French press again

>measuring cup
>not a scale

You need to go deeper

Baby steps fellow cu/ck/

Brewing by weight added +10 autism to me. More consistent coffee tho.

You boys are pathetic. What the fuck are your eyes for? Naw you need man made tools to repeat the same shit over and over so you don't have to be confident about what you're doing it's all done for you.

Is it worth buying an french press if I can't afford a good grinder too?

Assuming the alternative is instant then yes, you can buy ground coffee for a french press that is far, far better than instant.

I only have a little hand grinder (£10 from Amazon) and I actually moved from buying beans back to buying ground, just because the hand grinder takes time and effort and is noisy (sometimes I want coffee at night and I don't want to bother my neighbours), and doesn't seem to make that much difference to me. As long as you keep the grounds fresh once opened (airtight container in the fridge, 2-3 weeks max).

I use the pour over method too (pic related), much easier than french press once you've got the system down. French press is a bastard to clean, especially the little one-cup press I have. Some coffee is better suited to french press, but most ground coffee is as good or better made with the pour over method than with press.

You're a pedophile, get help.

If he needs help to be a pedophile, then he's not doing it right.

I fucking love me some coffee, but I'm just using my keurig, combined with a healthy dose of 3-5 energy drinks a day.

Until recently I had an automatic bean to cup. It was pretty good but it died.

I now want to get a good espresso machine. I already have the burr grinder (macap m2m stepped doserless), but what now? My budget is up to $2000. I'd prefer something on the smaller side that isnt gonna be messy as fuck.

Keep in mind I know almost nothing about making a coffee or espresso systems, but I'm willing to learn.

Aesthetics is important but not super important.

gochuumon wa usagi desuka. is the order a rabit.

also
>c/u/ck/
This board pairing makes me wonder if cuties, lesbians, and foodies are destined to be ntred by dick.

>live in coffee growing country
>instant coffee every fucking where and unroasted is fucking expensive

I am literally addicted to coffee I believe. I can control my alcohol intake better than I give myself credit for. I cannot however function without coffee leading me to take it throughout the day and go into a nonfunctioning state without it. Now, I know that's what we ALL experience here but I'm just saying. I acknowledge my true addiction isn't alcohol. It's coffee.

Caffeine addiction can get pretty serious, dude. Migraines, insomnia, death, et cetera.
Work on reducing your dependence before it's too late.

I bought a real grinder. I might buy a Crossland CC1 but haven't decided.

I drink instant coffee that I use with hot water straight from the tap (I live in Northern Europe so the water isn't USA tier)

Problems?

Wow, this thread went to shit headfirst.

The closest thing I've had to a coffee was the jamocha shake back when they were doing the 5 for $5 years ago. It was okay at first but after awhile you got tired of the overpowering taste.

>Problems?
Only that my tap doesn't get that hot and I have to microwave it

I like my coffee like I like my oatmeal. Bland, and shitty lowest common denominator.

Nothing like drip pot to accompany your instant oats that you've just mixed with hot water and a dash of salt, and a dollop of plain yogurt if I'm feeling squirrely.

Had an espresso machine. Great, but died on me. Now I have a french drip. I think I even prefer the mellower taste. I make a froth with an aerolatte wand. Not a huge fan of froth, but my better half is.

How big is the difference between buying decent ground coffee and grinding it yourself?

Best instant I've tried so far is a Kenco Millicano, only use it if I'm in a hurry though.

If I drink coffee late at night, it makes me want to sleep.

Why is that?

>mfw dad's shitty drip coffee is now considered the pinnacle of excellence
Whatever.
I have a Bodum drip pot, when my family inevitably breaks it, I will probably get a cheap french press.
My parents are coffee obsessed... I just like a decent cafe au lait in the morning.

Having done Bottle Bottle barista training a few years ago, I can tell you, 3rd wave coffee is a literal cult.

Adhd symptom reversal.
inb4 omg dats a myth user r u traded did u go to skol?

>How big is the difference between buying decent ground coffee and grinding it yourself?

Depends how long the grounds have been sitting.

Best example IMO that most people can relate to is this:

Fresh ground beans is like freshly cracked ground pepper. Bold complex flavour. There are different types of peppercorns and you can taste the difference between them when freshly cracked.

Pre-ground beans is like pre-ground black pepper. Fine if it is fairly fresh, but goes stale relatively quickly. Taste is basically always less than fresh cracked, but is acceptable especially if it is all you are accustomed to.

Stale ground beans is like stale ground black pepper. Virtually tasteless and is a shadow of its former glory. At this point you can still tell it is black pepper because of some of the very distinctive characteristics, but you won't be able to appreciate any other aspect of it or differentiate between varieties.

Basically, the fresher the better, but it is all up to what you actually want out of your coffee/spices and what you can tolerate.

Yes.

Buy good beans, grind fresh with an electric blender, and you'll still be miles ahead of other shit.

I have an electric blender and an aeropress, I'm at the point where I'm just searching for the Holy grail of beans. Been meaning to check out some local shops but I never have enough time. My gf knows one of the execs at Starbucks that sends her limited release bags which she splits with me but that only does so much.

Daily drink is an Americano with steamed heavy whipping cream.

Barzata Virtuoso grinder
Bonavita 1.7l electronic temperature controlled gooseneck kettle
Chemex 10-cup
Digital scale accurate to 0.1g
Coffee roasted to order and delivered next say by a local roaster.

Pretty deep, in other words.

Have you tried Pact? They're a bit expensive (£6.95 for a 250g bag - that's $9 for about 9oz if they ship to USA) but there's a decent selection and they deliver it vacuum packed to your door. You can choose between beans or ready ground, and read all about the source of the coffee.

I could get you £3 off your first order with my invite code, but I'd profit too and I don't want to seem like I'm shilling my invite code on here.

i don't like coffee

hand grinder with a drip or french press

then I just decided that its not worth the time when I don't care much about the flavor most of the time so I am back at my drip brew machine

>drank 1.5g of caffeine in coffee in a couple hours
>only used to 400mg tops

went to A&E in the evening because they were concerned it'd be a lot for how little i weigh. not being able to sleep until the next evening was the worst part.

any recommendations for beans? i like quite a strong cup. java seems a little weak so far, and the people in the shop who sell them don't seem to be much help.

Espresso, with noting else added to it.

>$2000
Why do people do this

This is a reminder that if you have never willingly had a coffee enema you barely qualify as liking coffee.

>i know nothing about making a coffee
>i want to burn $2000 dollars
crawl before you sprint

quit pretending

>fellow cu/ck/

please stay off this fucking board.

how do i sweeten coffee without making it cloying? i made some coldbrew, but whenever I add the sugar it feels like its seperate to the flavour, doesn't dissolve right.

Problem, cuckle?

>unwilling coffee enema

where do they do this

this is just a lot of people shitposting in coffee's general direction

God I want to fuck those anime girls

There is no such thing as an unfuckable anime girl

I just tried out Happy Mug's Italian roast. It's pretty good. I feel like I should have realized before I bought it that it's best used in a french press, but I don't have one.

youtube.com/watch?v=bznDjbQLzMo

Any of you living in Italy?
I'm interested in only real coffee aka espresso. What do you think is the best 100% Arabica around?
If you could suggest a Torrefazione (coffee shop in pleb terms) in Milano or northern Italy (you know, where people actually work unlike the rest of the country) that'd be great!

encore, v60 or aeropress, degree accurate electric kettle, buying locally roasted beans twice a week. I need a thermos that I can brew into, to start buying from someone who can do a light roast well and to stop using tapwater

What are you talking about?

Make me

fellow gearfag here

Baratza Encore grinder
Porlex Mini grinder
Bonavita v-spout kettle
>it's fucking leaking and bonavita have terrible CS that are just saying "sorry for the inconvenience"
Hario scales
Hario gooseneck teapot
Hario v60
Hario syphon
Aeropress
Clever dripper
Moka

can't afford a real espresso machine yet tho

well, i think i'm pn my way deeper into the rabbit hole
bought a burr grinder and made a jar of cold brew. just used a sieve and some kitchen roll to make it, but it's still pretty good.

Use Aeropress and drink it black.. so I guess not very far

I really only need one cup in the morning, and I can usually forgo it if I'm feeling lazy but I have a knock off k-cup brewer that i brew whatever is on sale at the grocery store with

Today i found in the discounted food section some coconut creme flavored donut house coffee, three kcups for 99 cents hope its decent.

>Hario scales
they got you good

>can't afford a real espresso machine yet tho

Last coffee thread was very successful. Always starts with a guy or two shouting into an echo chamber thinking they can make a difference on an anime imageboard, but then it drifts back into topic.

I've come to notice that the best places for coffee are those who make it just hot enough to drink without burning the fuck out of your tastebuds. Shout out to the baristas who can do this.

Really, how many nukes would have been enough? 10?

This is as far as I went.
Been using for 2 years now, no more machines for me.

ten times more anime? sign me the fuck up

This.

I've been using my Aeropress every day for close to 8 years now.

The shittiest part about them is forgetting you have a metal filter and ejecting it into the bin, like you would with paper.

Damn. I've heard about this being super common in coffee growing countries - people who pick it for a living don't even know what it tastes like. My condolences, user.

Try sweetened condensed milk

Also hope you're brewing your coffee at the right temp, and using clean cool water, and fresh(ly ground) beans. I've noticed taste separation from diner coffee before (though I normally have it black).

/Sage

Gonna go back to popping caffeine pills i think.

Right now I just use a dripper. Gonna get off my lazy ass and get a french press soon though.

Hello fellow Nu-male, how is your wife's son?

>Calling someone who watches anime a Nu-male

Last I checked the SJW types hate anime and Japan itself, but won't admit it to avoid being labelled racist. Makes sense since Japans existence utterly destroys their alt left-wing narrative.

I am relatively happy with my current espresso machine and this grinder.

Is a metal filter worth it?

The paper filters affect taste notes quite strongly, so it's hard to tell.

If you had wanted an extraction method that maximizes the taste of coffee oils and the like, you might have picked an espresso machine.

But you are on an aeropress now, so I guess you want the paper filter to take out these tastes? So perhaps a metal filter might not be your thing.

>be instant pleb
>decide to go to some famous coffee shops while I'm in Tokyo
>pay like 700 yen for a tiny cup
>it tastes worse than instant

Frozen* instant is just as good if not better than the old fashioned way, you guys are just like audiophiles who swear up and down vinyl is better than FLAC or something and spend a fortune on headphones that only have a placebo effect.

*that crumbly darker type of instant is dogshit though I'll freely admit.

Do any of you coffeefags ever put coffee in a thermos so you can drink it later in the day at work/school? Is it ever any good?

Up to, senpai. Up to.

Yes. Yes.

I started recently using a french press instead of instant coffee thanks to you guys, pic related is what I use for beans to grind, is this any good? I'm a complete novice with actual brewing so I just used what was in the house?

If it's trash tier any advice of what to get instead? I've heard lighter roasts are more caffinated and taste better so idk, thanks a lot

For a beginner, who comes from instant, it is ok. It is crucial that you grind you're beans yourself and for French press, you'll need a coarser grind as you'd need for drip-over.

If you finished your bag of Lavazza, try to look for a roaster nearby. He'll help you. Also, there is always the internet to order from someone else. I never needed to, so my knowledge is non-existent regarding that.

Some roasters are better than others
If they won't give you a roast date, find someone else
If they get mad at you for asking questions, find someone else
With roast-to-order places all over the internet, there is no reason to patronize "the little guy" just because he's not starbucks
There is no room for surly, filthy, overpriced "muh local hole in the wall roastery" businesses in this day and age

Cool, thanks for the advice going back to uni in a few weeks so I guess I'll look around for a roaster and then look online if I get no luck with that, I use a cheap automatic grinder where you just press down and it does one setting, should I try getting one with multiple settings or a hand grinder? cheers

French press is really unforgiving about grinds, you should definitely get a decent grinder, but they cost.

An aeropress would be somewhat more forgiving of a shitty grind, so if you want to upgrade your brewing for less, you could stick with your shit-tier grinder and spend $30 on an aeropress.

I used to be full autism, roasted my own coffee, used a 0,1 mg accuracy scale. But it's not really worth it. Now I use preground coffee in a french press, standard water boiler.

I bought whole bean and preground eight o clock coffee and they taste basically the same.

yes, but the metal sours the taste of the coffee

Extreme autism ruins a lot of fun things
Look at all the raging anti-weebs we have around here who can't see a mention of sushi without flying off the handle
Guaranteed most of them went through a ken-sama phase and are now wracked with guilt and cringe
See also: people who were retarded hippies in college and turned into shrill right-wing retards in middle age

I'm in a tough place Veeky Forums

I was raised on cafecito cubano, which has tons of sugar in it and lots of caffeine. But lately i've been trying to get Veeky Forums meaning I've been taking the sugar out of my espressos and i've flat-out stopped drinking cafe con leche.

I-I don't know what to do anymore. Hold me Veeky Forums

Hario hand grinder and pre-roasted beans with an aeropress and a cafetiere. Revolutionised my coffee game.

>he says while posting on an Alaskan king crab escrow market

Hello fellow citizen. Cafe con leche shouldn't be a problem and desu a good espresso doesn't need sugar. You're gonna make it!

I know man, it's just... different. I literally watch my family put in like 4 or 5 spoons of sugar into a tiny cup, (in addition to the sugar already in the espresso maker.)

I am getting used to espresso w/o sugar though.

>good espresso
>bustelo
pick one
get some good single-origin beans, light roast, and brew from an aeropress

this one is cheap and babby-tier if you're not used to lighter roasts. after drinking this for a week you'll be fully transitioned over to Veeky Forums tier coffee drinking. nothing wrong with sugar and milk with the right bean. this is not the bean for that, just as bustelo is not the bean for black coffee
store.georgehowellcoffee.com/coffees/tarrazu-costa-rica-.html

what are some good supermarket brands of coffee?

i dont have any hipster roasters nearby