Spread/things to put on bread

Help me guys, I need some ideas.
I've grown tired of the same old spread like peanut butter, nutella, jam and honey.
What do you guys put on your bread that usually flies under the radar?
I'm mostly looking for something savoury, but any advice is really appreciated.

Other urls found in this thread:

foodnetwork.com/recipes/geoffrey-zakarian/fig-chutney.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Honey butter.

i really like those vegetarian spreads made from beans and nuts and whatnot

Hummus

Never heard of it, but I'll give it a shot. Sounds like the absolute daiabeetus spread though.
I always just walked away when I've seen those, as the combinations seem pretty weird, but I guess I'll just try them.
That stuff actually tastes on its own? Or do I need to add some other things. When I was eating at our neighbours they once tried some canned hummus and shit was meh. A little bitter, a little sour and that's it. I guess fresh one's better, but do I have to add anything, like onions or garlic?

Thanks for the input guys, really appreciate it.

Avocado
Dulce de leche
Quince paste
Cream cheese + tomato slices

>That stuff actually tastes on its own?
Tastes great on it's own but have never had canned hummus.

You can usually get different types in the supermarket here as well like red pepper, garlic, chilli, lemon and coriander, etc. but I prefer just regular.

it's extremely easy to make hummus yourself, you should give it a try

I don't think we have that much selection in Germany, but the canned wasn't that bad that I wouldn't try selfmade.
That stuff is quite expensive here, I think I'll have to give it a pass...

There's an entire category of "scooping salads" that go great on bread. Hummus is one. Baba ganoush (mutabal, melitzanasalata) is another. Ajvar, tatziki, taramasalata are muhammara other examples.

If you're looking foir ideas check out the cuisines of the Middle East, Greece, Turkey, Georgia and adjacent countries where meals are frequently made of bread and stuff to accompany it.

open faced sandwiches/smorrebrod might be of interest to you.

cheese for god damn sake

That sounds like a wide range, I'll definitely take a look at those.
At the risk of being called an idiot, that actually didn't occur to me
That did though. I just dislike cheese at breakfast (cream cheese in general) and I can't eat it every evening.

Full-fat, rich yogurts are great to spread on hardy and dry breads. Feels very substantial. Would be good with cucumber and tomato, too.

No fault of your own, there's a lot of things we just don't think about when it comes to food.

Also, OP, have you considered some seafood-based spreads? Whitefish salad, roe spread, etc.?

Did that a long time with the stuff from Wasa. Now that I think about it, I'd like that again at some point.
I don't live near the sea, so quality stuff is mad expensive. I just don't like it enough for the prices I'd have to pay for something that's worthwhile.
Muhammara, Tzatziki, some vegetables, egg and that kind of stuff fit my budget way better. Thanks for the input though.

I like to make chutney with different kinds of fruit. It's very easy!

The August figs are ripe, now, so I'm eating a lot of that. I eat a lot of tomato or apple chutney otherwise.

Here's a good basic recipie:

foodnetwork.com/recipes/geoffrey-zakarian/fig-chutney.html

Cream cheese + garlic/shallots/nuts/onions/any fresh herbs

Can't go wrong.

Chutneys always seemed weird to me, isn't it basically just a little refined jam?
Dislike Cream Cheese, but I guess I can substitute that with some yogurt.
Where I'm from this is pretty much the most standard spread to be found, except for Jam maybe.

Thanks once again guys, I've been eating white bread for a pretty long time now, finally I can start eating some darker bread without using tons of salami.

try this:
soak dates for an hour or so
blend dates with sesame seed paste

Liver pate, it's practically our national dish.

miso

I had some chicken liver pate recently, amazing on bread.

liver + garlic mayo + pickled carrots is such a goat combination

We usually go for beets.

Sounds nice, I like liver dumplings, so that might be good
What kind of Miso though? I like light miso soups when they have that light brown colour, but I dislike the dark ones.

>1 package of cream cheese (lowfat works, too)
>1 shallot (medium) minced
>5-6 anchovies, more if you like (chopped)
>dash of Worcestershire
>dash of milk
>blend well
>dust with paprika
>chill
>smear on saltines or bread
>eat

Tomato and olive oil atop bread. Ratchet pan de cristal

I find it helps counteract the effect vodka has on my liver

That plus a slice of jamon was my breakfast today.

Mmm good taste senpai.

>mein neger

Sorry, in America, most people don't touch liver wurst. Good to know.

>What do you guys put on your bread that usually flies under the radar?
>I'm mostly looking for something savoury, but any advice is really appreciated.

Pub (beer) cheese. (Easy to make with a food processor).
Pimento cheese. (aged cheddar, cream cheese, chopped pimento, black pepper, mayo)
Walnut-date-parsley-blue cheese spread.
Big bowl of bruschetta topping to serve on resh toast. Marinating tomatoes, garlic, basil, olive oil. Hit it with a splash of balsamic when served.
Egg-olive salad spread. Blend softened cream cheese with hard boiled eggs, green or black olives, celery leaves, celery, green onion.
Liptauer cheese (kind of a everything goes recipe).
Cream cheese and hot jalapeno pepper jam.
You can flavor your own cream cheese any way that you like, just blend in the food processor some herbs or veggies.
Za'atar and olive oil makes a nice paste you can broil on bread til the sesame is toasted.
Hummus

I like hot brie with jams, from apricot to fig.
Goat cheese and a tablespoon of marinara, warm in microwave or broil in crock, spread on bread.
Any kind of roasted garlic, roasted vegetables, or chilies smashes up nicely into a butter you can store and take out (compound butter).

Teewurst

GOAT christmas condiment in our house

What do you condiment with it? I've never eaten it other than just spread on bread

yeah mostly on bread haha, just its impossible to get here unless its around christmas

Wine jelly
Soft ripened cheese
Apple butter
Marshmallow fluff

Tapenade is easy and delish.