Midwestern food

discuss

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8GqHESR3tcU
munchies.vice.com/en/articles/what-its-like-to-eat-some-of-the-worst-prison-food-in-america
abc12.com/home/headlines/Aramark-employee-fired-after-serving-food-from-trash-to-Saginaw-County-inmates-298113151.html
thinkprogress.org/corporation-served-prisoners-cake-contaminated-by-rats-covered-over-evidence-with-icing-b7c91b22c0d5#.2gb0ffnia
oreida.com/products/t/tater-tots
kraftrecipes.com/products/kraft-singles-american-cheese-s-2070.aspx
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuisine_of_the_Midwestern_United_States
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I'm cautious about what they are resting in, but that looks pretty nice. Cheezy bread bite things are good

>Midwest
?

Is that the region that I flyover on my LA to Boston trips? Do the locals have their own food culture or something?

They aren't bread.

Those are made with potato grated and shaped into a "tot" form. All the rage in Chicago right now I hear from the provincials.

Tots in cheese. Who can not love that?

preach it brother

Midwestern food was mostly sturdy farmhouse cooking showing some German, Polish and Scandinavian influence. But the 20th Century fucked it very hard. Many of the companies that make the vilest overprocessed garbage are headquartered there - General Mills, Kellogg's and their ilk. A lot of the "cooking" that happens there these days involves creatively mixing a can of this with a box of that, covering it with orange cheese and baking it.

Iowa here, just had this three nights ago

>living in LA

lol way to live in the shittiest part of the california coast.

Oh, whoops. I mistook them for a more cooked version of these.

>doesn't know about stockton

I'd eat the fuck outta that. I've never had a tator tot casserole but I want to try one once.

Fucking potatoes and cheese, there's probably some ground beef underneath.

Everything that isn't LA or NY is flyover you flyover cow

why is east coast food covered in nigger semen, and west coast food covered in spic shit?

>cheese
>midwest

lol

Because you're shitposting, user.

i can't think of any sane person who would want to spend longer than a week in either of those cities

sorry you live in the irrelevant part of the US but thats no excuse to hate your superiors

These threads usually get deleted just as they transition from shitposting to interesting discussion. The reason being that as long as it's just shitposting, nobody gets butthurt. But as soon as the intelligent people show up, it doesn't end well for the midwest.

Let's show the mods we won't be pushed around, and keep up the shitposting.

What part of Iowa? Central here.

>la and ny
>relevant
Wew lad. The mental gymnastics in this one is strong

LA food
>vegan bullshit
>hipster trash

NY
>floppy heat lamp cheese pizza
>hipster bullshit

flyovers have god tier foods that aren't up their own ass

>as soon as the intelligent people show up, it doesn't end well for the midwest.
That's because so much of the food there perfectly shows everything that went wrong with food in 20th Century America. .

I feel like I am the only one in this world who fucking hates Tater Tots

That, and the fact that Progun, our mod, is basically a real life version of the beloved Veeky Forums tendies eating alt-right flyover fast food autist caricature

>hipster
Is it 2003 again, or did the use of that term just make it to where you are?

Anybody have good videos of people making midwestern atrocities?

youtube.com/watch?v=8GqHESR3tcU

>Wisconsin not sharing a border with THE flyover Illinois.

>Wisconsin not sharing a border with THE flyover state Illinois

are you having a stroke, grandpa?

(you)

its funny how potatoes au gratin is acceptable but tatertots with cheese isnt.

both are pretty much the same thing. potatoes with cheese.

do you live under a rock? that word is everywhere, user...

I feel like it might have to do with the fact that the tater tots are fried and usually frozen to begin with. I personally love tater tot casserole and I live in Seattle

>midwestern atrocities
They're American atrocities - people in the Northeast, the South and the West made the same shit. It's just that it really took over in the Midwest. I'd guess that's because the food culture there was less well established. Probably also because as long as all the "normal, regular" people ate it no one bothered to be critical. Being critical is seen as rude there.

It's not funny at all. It's indicative of the kind of thinking that trashed the food there. Au gratin potatoes is ideally a dish made with quality ingredients and at the very least a basic level of skill. It's a quality dish.

Tater tots with cheese is not a quality dish. It requires no skill. The basic ingredients are incredibly low quality. You can totally taste that the potatoes have been frozen. The cheese that's inevitably going to be used is orange grated stuff - the lowest possible quality of cheese you can get.

Equating the two is pretty much saying, "I don't give a fuck about the quality of the food I eat." Or simply not being able to tell the difference between them. Just potatoes and cheese, right? May as well get some McDonald's fries and put Cheez Wiz on them. Same thing.

Not where I live. I haven't heard anyone use the word hipster unironically in a long time. here in NYC. I've heard the term "hickster" to describe people who leave the city and open up cute restaurants and coffee shops in small towns in places like the Hudson Valley. But no one I know uses the word hipster anymore, unless they're talking about something from a decade ago. Gentrification is more the current buzzword.

>talking shit about pizza from the state of New York

slow down there, skippy

>flyover food
>flyover food
>hahahaha flyover states are shit guys

Have you been on pinterest recently? All they post is the latest concoction of cheesy bullshit for lazy moms

>TACO LASAGNA
>SPAGHETTI CASSEROLE
>CHEESY POTATO BAKE CUPS

Might as well just call it Pinterest food at this point

>here in NYC
inb4 massive, pus-oozing, blood-seeping flyover butthurt

>Equating the two is pretty much saying, "I don't give a fuck about the quality of the food I eat." Or simply not being able to tell the difference between them. Just potatoes and cheese, right? May as well get some McDonald's fries and put Cheez Wiz on them. Same thing.

Macronutrients, nigger.
It IS all the same shit.
potato, cheese, salt.
As long as it's not rotten, quality is a subjective illusion.

Chinks and spics made their signature dishes from the absolute cheapest garbage they could find, and made it not only palatable, but amazing.

Its all in how you season and cook it.

Expand on this meme. What do you mean by this?

>It IS all the same shit
You're making my point for me. This is the kind of thinking that trashed Midwestern cuisine in the 20th Century. Simple, straightforward cooking is delicious when you have farm fresh vegetables, good dairy and quality meat. But replace that with the stuff you find at the supermarket and it tastes like shit. Because for simple to work you have to start with quality ingredients. There's a huge difference between the taste of a potato freshly dug from the earth and a tater tot.

>signature dishes from the absolute cheapest garbage they could find, and made it not only palatable, but amazing
You can make cheap ingredients into delicious things - people do that all over the world. But you have to start with actual ingredients. A bag of tater tots is not an ingredient. Nor is a can of cream of mushroom soup. Using advertising to convince people it was is what fucked up Midwest cooking. When you start with ingredients that aren't really ingredients in the first place the stuff you make is gonna be some laughably bad stuff.

Literally the best, and most American of the American cuisines. Anyone telling you otherwise is probably a nigger.

>it's a nu-male thread

>you will never be such a valueless nothing that you take pride in what shithole you were born in
Feels good, man

Important reminder that the midwest is mostly used for growing feed corn and other commodity grains. They consider it pretentious to "pretend" to enjoy simply prepared vegetables, because they don't have access to that kind of thing. It's all trucked in from places that matter, and obviously, a 6 week old tomato from a strain that was designed for durability and cosmetics isn't going to be particularly appealing. Hence why tater tots and dry soup mix are basically prerequisites for having a meal that's even somewhat palatable.

Source: lived there for 6 years, experienced the incredulity from people who thought eating fresh food was a provocative fashion statement rather than completely normal.

We don't speak of that place here.

>shephard's pie with cheese
>has the added benefit of mailard reaction with potatoes
>IT CAME FROM THE MIDWEST SO IT'S SHIT
worst meme

>But as soon as the intelligent people show up
WHAT intelligent people? Here? Just how fucking dumb are you?

Nu-males from NY and California are a bit salty that Chicago is one of the largest exporters of their wives' boyfriends (hence the name of the local basketball team) so they vent this frustration by spamming "goza" and "flyover" memes with their wives' sons.

It's mostly the fact that it came out of the frozen foods section that people are shitting on, you forgot the added benefit of sodium benzoate, carageenan, natural and artificial flavors, hydrolized soy protein, and other things that totally aren't related to making shit-tier ingredients taste somewhat acceptable 6 years after it was shat out of a megafactory
>b-but it's exactly the same
Sure buddy

>admits the ingredients taste acceptable
>still shits on it
still the worst meme

>it's legal to serve this to prisoners and soldiers, both of whom will willingly eat it without revolting
This is literally the quality benchmark that midwesterns are defending with all their butthurt

>kneed 300 times
don't need

>ree scary chemical names that were in no way evaluated by people millions of times smarter than me
gb2 whole foods hippie

Nah, I just stocked up at the farmer's market. Need to get through all this fresh local seasonal produce first.

good argument

but if you say something tastes acceptable, why shit on it just because it's from a certain region?
And if you have a penchant for high quality goods, wouldn't that just mean your level for acceptable is higher than "prisoner food", meaning that you yourself think that the "megafactory" food is of a higher quality than you're arguing it is?

Oh how funny, I also just returned from the farmer's market, the difference is I didn't return to an astronomical crime rate and piss-smelling subways. Oops.

>something tastes acceptable
My exact words were "somewhat acceptable", in other words, under duress it is possible to eat it, but by no means should anyone actually want to eat it.
>why shit on it just because it's from a certain region?
Not quite the focus, again let's focus people. I'm shitting on the fact that people from your region go into full defensive mode when someone doesn't like it, because their entire sense of self-worth is based on their consumption of low quality junk food, see:

I take exception to the inclusion of my post here.

is undisputed fact.

Farmers markets in the midwest are literally just some guy who bought a bunch of stuff from Walmart and put dirt on it

They don't grow any of that stuff there, look up what "farmers market" means before you make a fool of yourself, also
>implying I didn't just walk 2 blocks to the farmers market
>taking the subway to buy food
Pic related

Guess what homeboy, if youre close enough to farmland to have a farmers market

youre flyover

Well, it is a 19 hour walk from Goshen to NYC, but the trucks that bring the produce will be allowed even after the cagers are banned

>listening to your wife's moans while you and lemarcus post your 9th deep dish pizza thread
>flyover cucks will NEVER know this feel

>"somewhat acceptable"
sure, lets get into the semantics of the phrase you used but ignore the fact that your standards are obviously higher which either means that you're full of shit or you'd consider the food that the following articles """"somewhat"""" acceptable

munchies.vice.com/en/articles/what-its-like-to-eat-some-of-the-worst-prison-food-in-america
abc12.com/home/headlines/Aramark-employee-fired-after-serving-food-from-trash-to-Saginaw-County-inmates-298113151.html
thinkprogress.org/corporation-served-prisoners-cake-contaminated-by-rats-covered-over-evidence-with-icing-b7c91b22c0d5#.2gb0ffnia

>vice
Not acceptable in any way

Please post something from mother jones if you wish to be taken seriously

I posted 3 links, but okay

either way, the argument is flawed because for some reason the user (if that's you) thinks all the preservatives and additives are there to make shitty potatoes taste good and not to keep good potatoes tasting the same

>They consider it pretentious to "pretend" to enjoy simply prepared vegetables, because they don't have access to that kind of thing.
This is untrue in my experience. I have in-laws in central Wisconsin, and there are local farms and farmers' markets. And the prices are great. You can buy from Amish and Hmong, which makes for a nice variety of in season produce. Out of season they're probably screwed, but in season anybody interested can do well for vegetables.
>people who thought eating fresh food was a provocative fashion statement rather than completely normal.
They do eat salads at least. But at the home of a high school friend of my wife I was served a dinner of salad from a bag and a frozen pizza heated up in the oven. She asked what dressing I'd like, pulling bottles out of the fridge door. I asked her if she had vinegar and olive oil, saying I'd be happy to just make a vinaigrette. Her response: "I didn't know you could do that."

These are people for whom salad comes in a bag and salad dressing comes in a bottle, and that's just the way it is. They don't think to question it, or think that they maybe could do just a little better than that.

Some of them are for making shit potatoes (or more likely shit "cheesy topping now with more factory farming byproducts") taste good

Some is to make said ingredients taste the same later

That's the miracle of modern printing technology. As long as you can keep scaling down the font size, you can fit as many ingredients as you want onto the label, and if anyone thinks this is in any way different from just "potatoes and cheese", they hate America and have literally never even set foot here!

>Some of them are for making shit potatoes (or more likely shit "cheesy topping now with more factory farming byproducts") taste good
Then give evidence of factories using shitty quality potatoes and name the additives that make shitty things taste less shitty
the only one you've named is hydrolized soy protein, but msg being bad is just another shitty meme

I'm sorry if this makes me an America-hating terrorist, but neither hydrolized soy protein nor MSG belong in fucking potatoes topped with cheese. There are already tons of glutamates in decent cheese, and I stress "decent", I am not talking about your "it's probably legal to call this "cheese" due to regulatory capture" WIDF crap

>but neither hydrolized soy protein nor MSG belong in fucking potatoes topped with cheese
I'm not the one who brought it up, is
There's absolutely nothing wrong with taking apart food and recombining it with exactly the components you want
That's just molecular gastronomy
By the way, MSG or HSP don't make shitty things taste better, they improve the flavor components that already exist
if you put msg on poop, it's not going to taste any better, probably worse

I'm MSG definitely makes shitty things taste better, obviously not ALL shitty things but they don't cram a fuck ton of it into most junk food for nothing
>that's just molecular gastronomy
Sure, except that for the most part, the places that made laboratory chemicals cool to use in high end cooking were still building their menus around primarily good quality ingredients, inb4 you cherry-pick a single example of someone using junk food as a gag and pretend that makes El Bull the exact same thing as Great Value brand cheesy frozen potato product

>that prison food
truly horrifying. I don't mean to say that our prisons should be serving 5 star meals but surely it couldn't be hard to at least serve something edible and nutritious.

>MSG definitely makes shitty things taste better
No, it increases the amount of glutamates, making things taste more savory
That would be like saying adding lemon juice makes everything taste better because it makes things more sour
They add it to junk food to make things taste meatier, not to make things taste less like shit

Even then, what part of OP's dish would contain "laboratory chemicals" that increase the flavor profile
oreida.com/products/t/tater-tots
dextrose is just sugar and Disodium pyrophosphate is just something to make the potatoes fluffier

Fuck off LA, the only part of California that matters is San Francisco
t. New York

>it increases the amount of glutamates
Exactly. If the cheese wasn't fake dogshit "it's technically legal to call it cheese" Wisconsin crap, it wouldn't need it

It's like adding citric acid to lemonade, or sugar to your tomato sauce

No matter how much you try and deflect with your DHMO memes, it won't make it anything other than a workaround, as well as a serious red flag to anyone interested in quality

That looks like it's made from potatoes

There is no msg in american cheese
msg has to be labeled

kraftrecipes.com/products/kraft-singles-american-cheese-s-2070.aspx
sure, it's a cheese product, meaning that it's not 100% cheese
But neither would a bechamel based cheese sauce using flour, butter, milk, and whatever cheese you added
You can use both things in the place of cheese, but you use them because cheese itself doesn't melt well and you want the cheese flavor to encompass your dish completely

picky eaters detected

yes, food snobs are picky eaters.

"I only like food made with the highest quality ingredients and everything else sucks hurf blurf"

kill yourself

I'm talking about cheesy potatoes containing multiple ingredients, not Kraft singles

It's a hypothetical situation, the point is neckbeards will pretend this is about chemophobia, whereas in fact there are very good reasons to prefer avoiding junk food with 300 ingredients

What kind of stupid faggot doesn't like tater tots?

I've just given you the ingredient list of two of the main items that make up the dish OP posted would be
that is:
a cheese that is of a similar quality to kraft singles, poster boy to the american cheese conflict AND the first (probably most popular) brand of frozen potatoes I saw when I googled tater tots
This entire time you've posted no real evidence and your argument was basically "these ingredient are low quality (opinion) and feature tons of additives to make them '''''somewhat''''' acceptable (false)"

if you've been talking about literally anything else, you've been in the wrong thread
and if you have, please post this msg laden, 300 ingredient, junk food cheesy potato dish
just for future reference

>tfw not americuck
>just want to see midwestern dishes
stop shit posting and arguing and post midwestern meals for outsiders to study.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuisine_of_the_Midwestern_United_States
go nuts

The thread topic is "midwestern food", not "my personal definition of a specific method of producing the specific item posted in op pic"

I understand it's very painful to have your '''culture''' dissected in a public form in this way, but I hope you manage to cope

Why did you put apostrophes around the word culture?

>I understand it's very painful to have your '''culture''' dissected in a public form
>It's a hypothetical situation

I don't know how to put a phrase together that will make you understand how retarded you sound
so I'm just going to quote things from this argument

>This entire time you've posted no real evidence
>I've just given you the ingredient list of two of the main items that make up the dish OP posted
>please post this msg laden, 300 ingredient, junk food cheesy potato dish

>not "my personal definition of a specific method of producing the specific item posted in op pic"
but
>It's a hypothetical situation

How is this not chemophobia*?

*a notion you brought up, not me

because thats not an argument
its a meme

"Flyover" is a word cityfolk use to exaggerate their own importance and help assuage the depressing fact that they sacrifice an inordinate amount of their time and energy just to live in a big city, despite the fact that they themselves are utterly unimportant.

>a man stands alone on a bridge, exhausted, penniless, homeless and alone. As he finishes the final bite of shwarma, he mutters under his breath, "At least I don't live in a flyover state!" and proceeds to leap from the bridge to his death."

Tater tot casserole is fuckin' awesome btw.

Quoting yourself isn't "putting a phrase together" it's just hitting ctrl-c ctrl-v

Yoo another Iowan here

> Cheese

> Pasteurized Process Cheese Food

Is anyone seriously pretending these are the same thing? That thing belongs in the trash.

>I don't know how to put a phrase together that will make you understand how retarded you sound
>so I'm just going to quote things from this argument

Yeah, those people aren't actually intelligent.
Neither are you.

Dont @ me or my sons ever again unless it's basketball related

The fact that Progun, an old tripfag, betrayed us by becoming The Man and now deletes stuff he doesn't like while allowing fast food threads and jackposting to run roughshod over our Borneo threads and nice things discussions

my working parents had no idea how to cook and i got a lot of dinty moore casserole

man but i do fucking love it, it's so gross and i don't care. i should do a non-canned version one day.

one can of dinty moore beef stew mixed with a can of drained corn, topped with tater tots and baked

nasty
delicious