Favourite/recommended sci fi novel?

Favourite/recommended sci fi novel?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Chaos-Tactics-Reckless-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00X0KFCCS
goodreads.com/book/show/25475915-chaos-tactics
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

The book of the new Sun. The patricians at leet approve of it.

The Three-Body Problem by Liu Cixin

Dune

The Culture Series by Iain M Banks

Bump

Anything Heinlein
Dune series(read the son's books at your own risk)
Currently reading David Weber's Safehold series.

>Anything Heinlein
My brother

Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy, all five of them. Amazingly hilarious, godlike space opera.

Runner-up is Ursula K. Le Guin's The Dispossessed. Very thought provoking.

2001: A Space Odyssey by Arthur C Clarke is the oft-recommended one from the Odyssey quadriology, but IMO 2010: Odyssey Two is the pinnacle of the series. By all means, read 2001 first though.

Should give Asimov's Foundation another read...

>Favourite/recommended sci fi novel?
Any Culture Novel or other Scifi by Ian M Banks.

Except Inversion.

Excession is my favorite, but they're all good.

Avid sci fi reader here
Asimov:Everything is worth it, Foundation, the robot series has some really satisfying small stories

Clarke:Space Odyssey as recommends, and Rendezvous with Rama, again everything is worth it!

Try Phillip K. Dick, he has weird style of writing but is quite captivating, minority report and "Do androids dream of electric sheep?"

Heinlein's Time enough for love, somewhere there is this awesome story about the laziest man in the world, it was quite inspiring to read that tale...

Joe Haldeman's The Forever war

Some Orwell maybe? Irrelevant but Lovecraft is really atmospheric, if you want something to draw you in totally give him a try.

Gonna start Greg Egan's diaspora and some of Carl Sagan, sure gonna check anything mentioned in this thread!

The Invincible by Stanisław Lem

Forge of God and sequel Anvil of Stars by Greg Bear

B L I N D S I G H T

OP you must read Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson.

The Bible

Totally not worth the read lol

this.

dune is absolute shit that makes no goddamn sense, if just one of the villains, protagonists, or side characters weren't complete retards the story would be resolved in 5 minutes

the first book of they Hyperion Cantos is great[the rest of the series fucks off into the wtf zone in the third act of the second book], Revelation Space is also great, the trilogy is amazing, but because nobody gets a good end another book? was written and some deus ex machina shit was pulled for an ultimate bad end. Neuromancer was also pretty good, haven't read the rest in that series though.

this is just me, but I like the Alex Benedict series by Jack McDevitt. first one is called "A Talent for War".
though

This

I'm reading The Expanse by James S. A. Corey, loving it so far. Hyperion is also great

Is that the one with the tv adaptation on Syfy?

>dune
>people acting retarded

It is like you don't understand the story of the books at all.

People were acting dumb because of thousands of years of stagnant culture. The Atreadies Emperors saw the future and the doom of humanity. Paul unleashed a bloody jihad across the galaxy. Then was incapable of bringing himself to the actions needed to it and save humanity. Then Leto II manned up and did what was necessary. He became the worst tyrant in history. So that when he died, humanity would flee across the stars and never fall back into the old ways.

Dune is great and so is Culture series^

Also check out my sci-fi book :)

amazon.com/Chaos-Tactics-Reckless-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00X0KFCCS

got a few decent reviews goodreads.com/book/show/25475915-chaos-tactics

Did you make that picture yourself?

Asimov - Anything
Heinlein - Moon is a harsh mistress, Starship troopers are the ones I've read
Clarke - Anything
Ben Bova - Mars
PKD - Favourite author, not too scifi but A Scanner Darkly is GOAT
Any hard scifi recommendations?

I thought it said Chad's Tactics.

yes

I just finished the second book, it reads very well

Hyperion was some shit. I delayed reading it for almost 10 years after hearing about it, and I regret that. The structure of the story is fantastic. It's perfect. Couldn't stop thinking about it for several weeks.

The rest of the series is alright and probably a worthwhile read to finish the story, but none of them approach the first book. Still enjoyed them because of the universe they were in though.

Anyone read Anathem? No one I've recommended it to enjoyed flipping to the glossary to look up his made up vocabulary and in-story references that aren't explained anywhere else. Took like 200 pages to get into the swing of it for me, but thought it paid off in the end. Same deal for Cryptonomicon.

For hard scifi, read almost anything by Stanisław Lem, but I would argue 'The Invincible' is his hardest, lots of mechanical descriptions and juicy details.

Fucking belters not keeping up with the best scifi show on tv.

>Reading Starship Troopers when I was a wee lad

>Wanting to be in drop ships landing in the thick of the action

>Wear the insignia and patches of some fascist govnermint

>Mom reads this book

>whatthefug.jpg

>Introduces me to Asimov and Clark

>mfw I read of a non discrete sex scene in I Robot at the age of 12

Thanks!

Hyperion.

The only person who loved my recommendation for Anathem happens to be one of the few people I respect.

Elsewhere around the web I see Kim Stanley Robinson's books recommended a lot. I haven't read them myself yet. What do folks here think about her books?

Dude just about to finish Anathem, blew my damn mind. Glad I finally got around to reading it, first book I read by him was The Diamond Age.

Ringworld

Something I read the other day that was pretty good was a book called "The Fresco" by Sheri S. Tepper. kinda follows the whole babysitting aliens thing but I liked it quite a bit and had some interesting characters.

Something is alive inside Jupiter's ice moon Europa. Robot probes find an ancient tunnel beneath the surface, its walls carved with strange hieroglyphics. Led by elite engineer Alexis Vonderach, a team of scientists descends into the dark... where they confront a savage race older than mankind...

The Mote in God's Eye might be one of the more realistic depictions of a first-contact story. The discovery of alien life is sudden and unexpected, and most of the book deals with the diplomatic/military/espionage group that is sent by the humans to meet the new species. A great deal of tension arises between the humans and "Moties" who have a very dim understanding of each other at first, and between the xenophiliac scientists and the xenophobic military personnel with the human expedition.

Roger Ramius MacClintock was young, handsome, athletic, an excellent dresser, and third in line for the Throne of Man. It probably wasn't too surprising that someone in his position should react by becoming spoiled, self-centered, and petulant. After all, what else did he have to do with his life? Then warships of the Empire of Man's worst rivals force his crippled vessel out of space and Roger is shipwrecked on the planet Marduk, whose jungles are full of deadly predators and barbarian hordes with really bad dispositions.

3.91 · Rating Details · 4,882 Ratings · 144 Reviews
The colonists from Earth have spent a century in cold sleep to make the first journey, one way, to settle a planet in another solar system. Avalon seems perfect, a verdant, livable world still in its prehistoric age. The biologists and engineers who busy themselves planting and building scoff at the warnings of professional soldier Cadmann Weyland until a large, unnaturally fast and cunning predator begins stalking the colony. Learning how to kill the beast is only the first step, for they must then reevaluate their entire understanding of Avalon's ecology. (

When Captain Caleb Shepperd is released from prison, all he wants to do is keep his head down and earn a living smuggling illegal cargo through the nine systems. So when a synth stows away on his ship, and brings with her a crap-ton of problems, including guilt-ridden secrets he thought he’d escaped, he’d prefer to toss her out the airlock. The problem is, she’s priceless tech, and he’s fresh out of credit.

#1001 is not meant to exist. Created for a single purpose, she has one simple order: to kill. But not everything is as it seems. Buried deep inside, she remembers... Remembers when she was human. And she remembers what Shepperd did to her. She’s not ready to die, but she is ready to kill.

>Anathem
>flipping to the glossary to look up his made up vocabulary

Your friends are plebians. No Veeky Forums denizen would fail to suss out the meanings on their own.

>Empire of Man series
>Sci-fantasy adventure novel

Not that I didn't enjoy the series but that's about as sci-fi as Star Wars.

Daniel Suarez "Daemon" and "Darknet"

Similar to enders game, first book is good, sequels get wrapped up in politics between characters you don't care about. The author must have gone rock climbing at some point , there's a part where he goes into excruciating detail about it, and not in a good way.

Seconding this one, one of my favorite niven stories.

GitS.

Anime4lyf3

fuck off sammy boi

>Good books for beginners and inexperienced readers (no particular genre)
Dune, Ender's Game, Starship Troopers

>Dystopian Future
1984, Brave New World, A Scanner Darkly, Logan's Run, Fahrenheit 451

>Hard Science Fiction and Space Opera
Tau Zero, Hyperion, Solaris, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Robinson's Mars Trilogy

>Cyberpunk
Neuromancer, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, Snow Crash,

>Asimov
I Robot, Foundation, The Caves of Steel, The Gods Themselves, The End of Eternity

Hard science sci fi novels are the best. These novels invented original ideas.

For example time machine, grey goo, journey to the moon, dyson sphere, warp drive, etc.

The Commonwealth saga.

'best be trollin

snow crash is garbage though

Isaac Asimov's The Foundation series.

Rendezvous with Rama

I will third it.

Recommendation: Uplift series, it is a mix of galactic zoo and genetic uplift.

The Uplift series

A good book, better than Childhood's End.

No mention of Stephen Baxter wtf.

Nooooooooooooooo

What about Gateway - Frederick Pohl?

A Canticle for Leibowitz is a post-apocalyptic science fiction novel by American writer Walter M. Miller, Jr., first published in 1960. Set in a Catholic monastery in the desert of the Southwestern United States after a devastating nuclear war, the story spans thousands of years as civilization rebuilds itself. The monks of the fictional Albertian Order of Leibowitz take up the mission of preserving the surviving remnants of man's scientific knowledge until the day the outside world is again ready for it.

Hyperion, Mistborn, Dune, Jack Vance

Felix is an Earth soldier, encased in special body armor designed to withstand Earth's most implacable enemy-a bioengineered, insectoid alien horde. But Felix is also equipped with internal mechanisms that enable him, and his fellow soldiers, to survive battle situations that would destroy a man's mind.

I loved the first two Foundation books, but I dropped Second Foundation after reading a few pages. Should I pick it up again?

A Fire Upon The Deep, by Vernor Vinge, is a really good science fiction novel. I would even say it's hard sci-fi, everything in there is really realistic.

Seveneves because hard science
Calculating God because good book

Degenerate garbage.

greg egan diaspora some hard shit

I personally can't stand too much clutter. How hard is it to just put it on a shelf? But if that's your thing go for it.

Too many to list

Old Man's War series
Star Carrier series
Honor Harrington series (wish he would write that 14th book, left off with a cliffhanger)
Ender's Game
The Forever War
Wool
Revelation Space series (only 1st two books)

nth for Hyperion Cantos

Altered Carbon motherfuckers

Star Wars

>sci fi

Same. We really spend too much time here.

Anyway, just finished The End of Eternity a few days ago and it was quite good.
Would definitely recommend.

PKD all the way,
recommend "a scanner darkly",
his first book off the amphetamines.

Can someone explain why? I started the first book and so far it has read like a pulp novel.

this

Has anyone read
Firestorm: Descent by Alan porter?

I love Asimov!!

THE GAP CYCLE

First Book: The Real Story

Angus Thermopyle is the most interesting psychopath in the universe

>she will never set her actuators to `turbo jerk` and have her way with you
wtfelmaf.qm (why the fuck even live m8 and fa.m ?)

Gaunt's Ghosts

Blindsight by Peter Watts

Really unique view of aliens

Scientific Humility/Absurdism:
Martian Chronicles
Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy

Comedic eye openers.

Solid list
>Dune, Ender's Game, Starship Troopers
are among my top recommendations, but
>Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
Isn't cyberpunk. You're thinking of bladerunner.

Recently finished SevenEves by Neal Stephenson. Slow paced but alright. Science black guy is a main character. Has some solid descriptions of what near future surviving in space would be like. Main issue I had with the books was that it was actually two separate books pasted together. The last 1/3rd of the book has completely different tones/themes from the first 2/3rds. I wouldn't recommend the book to someone unless they like reading about space stuff and already read the Martian (does what seveneves does well but better without the melodrama). The book has qt waifus which might be relevant considering where this is being posted.

Other book I recently finished was the Windup Girl. Biopunk book set in a post fossil fuel future (almost all of it has run out). It is now more efficient to genetically engineering giant beasts to do labor, and use microbes for processing/manufacturing. Book is alright. Very soft sci fi. Most interesting character dies 1/3rd in. Has a waifu in it but the handling of azn culture/mannerisms is going to detract from the experience for anyone as exposed as the average Veeky Forums poster. It's a fresh take on sci fi but you can tell it won its awards for political reasons.

overall, aside from The Martian, sci fi is shit right now. Stick to the classics.

Oh, I forgot. I also read Redshirts. It's a Rozencrantz and Guildenstern are dead style story told from the perspective of unimportant crew members on an original Star Trek style vessel where people always die on away missions. If you like classic Star Trek and tropes, it's worth a read.

best book i've red recently.
did you read the second book?

legend of the galactic heroes. the first 3 are guaranteed to come out in English, with the remaining being translated if sales are strong.

there's also a 100+ episode anime of it if that's what floats your boat, but having read the first book i kinda like it more.

>Mistborn
>sci fi
Are you fucking retarded?

Greg Egan, especially Diaspora, Schild's Ladder, and Permutation City

Cory Doctorow, Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom

Charles Stross, Accelerando

Rudy Rucker, Postsingular

>sf is shit right now

Is me. What do you think of recentish nanopunk/posthumanist stuff like this?

Mistborn and every brian sanderson novel are horribly repetitive.

They are written for middle aged people who think they are reading something "totally new" that has to remind them of the characters' backstories and singular, boring internal struggles every single paragraph after introduction of a new sequence (which always ends in a battle that is as formulaic as Dragonball Z).

I suffered through the first few books (I think 4...) of Mistborn, hoping in vain that Sanderson would kick into gear and stop being pedantic and stop spoonfeeding alcoholic fans that can't remember the last paragraphs they read...........I was wrong.

Asimov's short story collections are full of gems

>armor

Yes... a personal favorite. Felix is one of the best characters ever written.

>The author must have gone rock climbing at some point , there's a part where he goes into excruciating detail about it, and not in a good way.
That's not in the main trilogy but a little anthology book. Fucking ruined it too.

Only read Red Mars, the other two have their moments but you will want to kill yourself when slogging through the politics in Green+Blue.