Things to try in Britain

Going to London/Liverpool/Manchester for a couple weeks, any recommendations?

Other urls found in this thread:

subway.co.uk/media/news/halal-stores.aspx
telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/8077906/Cafe-fan-banned-in-case-smell-of-bacon-offends-Muslims.html
fryupsgoodornot..co.uk/2012/12/classic-london-cafes.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

ramen noodles

Brits have shit taste, and the things they rave over taste bland as fuck to most other people (except canadians, the blandest people on earth)

MY BABY TAKES THE MORNIGN TRAIN!

Chris' Chippy on Rose Lane in Liverpool

Well I am canadian, guess my mind and tastebuds will be blown

joking aside... I'm up for anything but it would be especially nice to be impressed. Anything ranging from your favourite takeaway to upscale dining, I appreciate everything that is enjoyable or interesting food. Price is no objection

Everything is overpriced here. You're literally paying more money for worse versions of things in the UK.

Check out pie and mash, fish and chips.

patty's from jamaican place
mediocre indian from everywhere
english breakfast at least once
fish and chips
british meat pies and shepards pies
donner kebab from a fish and chip shop

everything else sucks

Well if the food turns out terrible, more room for alcohol. What to drink, Veeky Forums?

Also check out a carvery as well.

Meat and lots of vegetables for a cheap price.

An Easy Jet ticket to literally anywhere on the mainland.

Nando's. bring an empty bottle and fill it up with the hot sauce they have available - it's a really great way to save money on hot sauce.

>Price is no objection
London has the cheapest congregation of Michelin restaurants. Go there.

st john in london
manchester is shit

showcases how much of an ignorant retard you are.

get some chips and fish and heroin

beer in the UK is served flat and tepid

Try dipping through bins.

Get whatever's on tap that's local to the borough. Skip the brands that you could get for cheaper at the store.

>being this uneducated

Says the Murrican who likes overly salted and sweetened foods.
Says other countries have shit taste.
Grow up America, you cry like a 2 year old.

The best thing to come out of England is the road to Scotland.

user has never been to the UK

have literally been to 100s of bars in the uk, only tepid flat ales

>bars

I'm not sure if the one In Manchester is exactly the same as the one in Leeds, but go to the Red Chilli- the one in Leeds is the best Chinese I've ever had

I know this is bait, but ale is supposed to be flat and tepid, so you can actually taste it. Get a fucking lager if you want something cold and carbonated.

>I know this is bait

you obviously don't know shit cocksucker

Manchester native here. You should try;

Fast food.

Wrights Chip Shop on Tibb Street. (fish and chips)
Pancho's Burritos in the Arndale Centre.
Byron's in Piccadilly Gardens. (burgers)
Dog Bowl on Whitworth Street (fast food/bar/ bowling alley in converted railway arch)

Decent Restaurants

The Albert Square Chop House next to the Town Hall. (Brit pub food)
Richmond Tea Rooms in the gay village (old school afternoon tea)
Gaucho Grill on St. Marys Street (Steak house)
Asha's on Peter Street (Indian Curry house)
Turtle Bay In Northern Quarter (Jamaican)
The Alchemist on New York Street (molecular mixology meme)

While in Manchester I also recommend going to see the Museum of Science and Industry which has the world's first railway commercial station and the world's first stored-program computer on display. Also take a look at the Central Library which is amazing.

Fill up on bacon beforehand. Everything in London and Manchester is Halal, Birmingham too.

The truth is that Britain eats more bacon than any other country.

Literally every street corner has shops trying to sell you a bacon sandwich and cup of tea.

Maybe outside of Muslim areas.
subway.co.uk/media/news/halal-stores.aspx

There are tons of Muslims in Manchester though, and that doesn't stop every shop selling bacon.

telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/8077906/Cafe-fan-banned-in-case-smell-of-bacon-offends-Muslims.html

Shush you social justice warlord, having a grip on reality is tumblr-tier. Don't you know it's illegal to go outside in the UK without wearing a burkini?

get a good pork pie ideally from bolster moor farm shop
in all fairness take a trip over the 'ill from manchester to gods own county and ave some decent scran from yorkshire

>34 replies
>No mention of Borough Markets

Overpriced hipster food

>London

Watch out for your wallet and phone if you go to Liverpool

63° in Manchester. Probably the best place to eat there.

Try Scouse in Liverpool

Watch out for the thieves in Manchester mate, got the worst crime rate in the country

oh look pol is leaking.

Trump gonna get BLOW THE FUCK OUT and there's fuck all you can do about it.

Dont listen to these bungholes.

Try eating at Pret while in london. Its just a sammich shop.

Theres also a gormet burger kitchen called GBK. They'll spoil you for choice.

None of these are 100% brittish, something like that would probably be eating at a nice high quality gastropub. Have sausages, mash and gravy. Or some kind of steak pie... Or a truely British dish; scottish salmon.

Go to Wetherspoons if you get the chance lad

The one in Bishop's Stortford is GOAT

>mediocre indian from everywhere

He can at least manage a mediocre Indian from somewhere in Brick Lane

>english breakfast at least once

fryupsgoodornot..co.uk/2012/12/classic-london-cafes.html

>Subway, an American company, is pandering to Muslims
>S-See! The Bongs are just c-cucks! N-not like us proud Americans!

>Pret & GBK

borough market is SHIT, skip it
brick lane on sunday is based, full of street food
also go to a nice looking pub in a middle class area (hampstead), they will do you really nice actual british food

Yorkshire tea.

>borough market is SHIT, skip it

This. It's a total waste of time; nothing but shitty hipster food and tourists shuffling around.

For general British food in London, Hawksmoor, Rules and Boisdale are good. They're all around £80/head if you share a bottle of wine.
Vivat Bacchus is a steak place with a dedicated cheese room.
Belgo just pumps out moules frites and beer.
Street Feast is a food trucks style thing in a few locations on Saturdays. Kinda a rip off though.

If you want fish and chips I suggest haddock, saveloy and cod roe, and if you want a good full English, cook it yourself (or go to Cumbria), but I imagine you eat better versions of both of those at home.

I could probably suggest something more specific if you had a particular thing or area in mind.

>London
im from london

pie & mash, jellied eels, billingsgate and smithfields, harrods food hall

dont get curry in brick lane its universally awful go to southall if you can be bothered to go that far

the biscuits and gravy are to die for

Not much outside of fine dining. They import all their mid/low-end stuff from India/Pakis.

For upscale, my best meal was probably at Hakkasan (Asian). You can try some of the M or Peligrino list. The Ledbury was good but over-rated.

Or you can head into one of their ethnic neighborhoods and probably have a great meal.

MOSI is the absolute fucking best, I remember going as a kid and enjoying the shit out of it every time I went. Shame I couldn't appreciate the engineering and historical stuff as a three year-old, but I might visit again soon thanks to based user here

Can only speak for London, but I imagine it's going to be hard as fuck to find something actually good unless you do research beforehand. Try to find somewhere that does good quality roast dinners, full English breakfasts, and pies. Most places selling these type of foods will be selling expensive, small portions of low quality food, so you need to be careful to avoid all the shit and go somewhere with a positive reputation.

Well if it isn't bait then why don't you refute the point i made, you fucking mong.

if you pass through staffordshire try some oatcakes
i usually stuff mine with baked beans and sausage

grandad pls

When i went there to eat i found they make pretty decent burgers.

Visit York instead

Thanks for the suggestions guys, keep 'em coming if you can... I'm travelling in group of 3 ppl by the way, so I assume there wouldn't be significant waiting times at restaurants?

First stop is Liverpool for a couple days, and I'm planning on going to Ship & Mitre for lunch + some ale to pass a bit of time before we can check in at the hotel. We'll probably grab dinner somewhere on Bold St. We'll most likely be getting breakfasts at Baltic Bakehouse due to location. That leaves lunch and dinner. Later at night I want to get cocktails and girly drinks at Berry & Rye or Ex-Directory.

We're still planning London and the only thing I've looked into booking so far is afternoon tea at Claridge's, but I'm definitely up to try some Michelin-starred restos there.

I'm still working out the itinerary, but I could post some more of the places I decide on when it's more finalized.

I'd like to try all the stereotypical British things, and local specialties. So I am absolutely interested in having a lukewarm ale in a pub, "average" indian takeaway, etc. Fine dining I could go for 2-3 places, or maybe more, I haven't decided yet. I am not really interested in any Chinese or East Asian food, believe me I've gotten enough of that in Toronto/Vancouver/LA/Guangzhou/Chengdu and I highly doubt I would be impressed in Britain. Also if I can't find decent places to eat I'll hit up Tesco.

>recommends London
>calls Manchester shit

Haha. Cultureless Londoncucks are the funniest

Thanks man, really appreciate this sort of thing and I'll forward it to the guy who's planning Manchester

I work around the corner from Borough Market. It's fucking amazing but very expensive, nice for a treat every now and again

Fortnum & Mason is the superior afternoon tea, IMO. It's all-you-can-eat, slightly cheaper, and slightly more relaxed. Of course, maybe that's not what you want.

Should I go for scouse at Maggie Mays? Or is it more or less the same wherever?

> the things they rave over taste bland as fuck

curry

most of the indian places on brick lane are utterly awful, not even approaching as good as mediocre

Hmm, they do have a better tea selection. Isn't Claridge's all you can eat as well? If not, definitely gonna reconsider

Yeah, it is. It's mostly a style thing. Claridge's: more formal, more classy. F&M: more informal, and they'll give you a giant doggy bag of cake and jam pretty much as standard.

Check online offers for afternoon tea like on Groupon or just the website itself. Sometimes you can get lucky. Just don't be a sucker and fall for an afternoon tea at some shitty hotel.

Pre-theatre menus at Michelin starred restaurants are probably the second best thing to get after their tasting menus.

London is obviously lousy with pubs, but I'm a fan of the Sam Smiths chain. They're cheap because everything is own brand down to the crisps, but the drinks are actually pretty good, the main thing is that they preserve some fantastic old buildings. You have to remember to investigate downstairs because they're usually five times larger than they seem.

Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese is hidden away down an alley on Fleet Street (google the sign and watch out for it or you'll miss it), and you can stroll there from St Paul's. Cittie of Yorke is another good Sam Smiths one.

The Toucan off Soho Square does proper Guiness. The Porterhouse near Covent Garden is one of those "150 different beers" places. The Harp is cosy always has a good selection of ales and ciders. The Coal Hole, The Lord Aberconway and The Ship Tavern are all nice old ale pubs.

I wouldn't vouch for the food in Sam Smiths, but I seem to remember the Coal Hole doing nice chips.

Really the only pubs that aren't great are the Wetherspoons, but you'll be able to tell if it's one of those because they're all massive and smell slightly like vomit and febreeze.

Compared to chilled fizzy tasteless piss i'll drink flat and tepid with flavour any day.

If you like Sam Smiths beer they have pubs that only serve their beer. They tend to be cheaper than other pubs and look traditional (ie dark and sometimes empty)

navigating some sam smiths pubs is like being on the fucking crystal maze, i love it

Recommendations? Yes, mate.
Don't go to London/Liverpool/Manchester.
What the fuck? Have you taken leave of your senses? I'm English. Just warning you.
Go to the countryside. For fuck's sake sort your itinerary out.

There's that one that's like some sort of Victorian spaceship, the Princess Louise I think? All airlocks and mirrors.

I assume it had some purpose originally, but now it just seems like HEY THERE'S A DOOR SALE AT THE DOOR SHOP WANT SOME DOORS?

My top three places in London (used to live there)

>Honest Burgers - very good burgers, fakkin lovely chips and nice cocktails
>Bao - Try the blood pudding with egg yolk side, its godlike
>Scoop - get a shake with their pistashio ice cream, best shake you'll ever have

For a proper UK curry go somewhere on the curry mile in Manchester. A lot of it is shisha bars these days but a lot of places still do the curries they're famous for. Also if you're after burgers in Manchester don't bother with Byron's, I reccomend Solita's or Almost Famous

Phall is brutal from Wetherspoons Curry Club.

I dunno if it's a local thing or what but every Thursday my local Wetherspoons does a "Curry Club." Me and my mate each got a pretty decent curry and a pint all for a fiver. I got the phall and couldn't finish it. I always go for the phall, or if they do it, the "COBRA BITE! HOTTEST CURRY IN TOWN!" type curries and I've never been beaten by a curry in my life, but that one had me drenched in sweat, tears and mucus. The pain was real.

I'd see if they still do it and go for round 2, but I'm off the booze now.

Why not support Byron's 'migrant mincer' Burgers?

I don't know what that is and I don't want to know, thanks.

it's probably milder than a normal curry from a proper place. people who go to shitty fake indian places and order a vindaloo or phall are plebs.

No, I know how hot curries are, I make them myself and go to proper places all the time as well as shitty fake places.

Maybe the Wetherspoons guy added something for a laugh or whatever but that was 5 times hotter than the next hottest phall I've tried.