How do you guys make rice interesting?

how do you guys make rice interesting?

most of the time i just use soy sauce or hot sauce

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/t8hmnpq1VYE?t=913
youtube.com/watch?v=Vpi6VtIPlYQ&index=4&list=PLpzv_OB3l5G3Mo5t66CdBNeBXpSIVWBhP&ab_channel=TheJapaneseDramasMovies
jimenaexperience.org/lebanon/about/culture/majadara/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pailadzo_Captanian
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Start with good rice.

furikake, or homemake it with sesame seeds, etc

mix some shit up senpai, you can experiment with tiny little ingredients

Sriracha, sesame oil, soy sauce and pepper is my usual go to.

Soup, saurkrait or kimchi and cheap meats

Fry the dry rice in butter before adding the water, that makes it extra fluffy

For flavor, add garlic powder to the water or add garlic to the butter you're frying it in

Or: use chicken broth instead of water

Furikake is some good stuff. Rice + salmon or egg + furikake is quality.

jeera rice = life

bit of sesame oil

saffron if you're ballin.

Sometimes I add a bit if butter and some chopped green peppers. Then soy sauce to taste.

Fried rice with egg. Fry that shit in a little olive oil and sesame oil and scramble a couple eggs in it

Can you use cumin powder instead of seeds?

curry powder and lots of it, probably ketchip or bbq sauce would work as well

I add a grilled chicken breast

Pick different rice.

Cook it with fried onions. Works especially well if you cook the rice in a fashion where it will absorb all the water that doesn't evaporate (pressure cooker, steamer, good rice cooker - best methods to cook rice anyhow).

Stir-Fry it with more vegetables or season it with all sorts of sauces and oils (like typical across Asia). Garnish with (fried?) tofu and other bits. Lemongrass and what not also works.

Rice-lentil mixtures also are nice.

As a last resort, use meat... but honestly, get your rice right without it first.

Use chicken stock instead of water. Toast the grains of rice beforehand, bit of salt.

black pepper.
Whole egg ( no, not with the shell)
some fried (pan-fried) onion.

tadah

Cook an ear of corn in it. Cut the corn off the (uncooked) add it and the cob to the rice and water. Then cook it. You can do this in a rice cooker and its delicious.

I saw it on one of those japanese lunch tv shows. They used the corn rice to form onigiri that they pan fried in soy sauce and butter, it looked amazing.

There also are lots of curry sauces.

There are lots of sweetened rice desserts using rice soaked in flavored / sweetened milk or fruit juices.

You can create puffed rice or rice noodles.

You can do all sorts of sushi or onigiri.

And of course I forgot that rice is one of the best foods to do random fruit-vegetable mixtures, especially when fried. It'd probably be hard to serve pineapples with tomatoes and chopped bell peppers and cucumbers and snow peas and bits of peaches and dates, but if you fry them with good rice, it should work really rather well.

Here is the video, I forgot they added sake too.
youtu.be/t8hmnpq1VYE?t=913

Coconut milk.

chicken and garlic salt. your welcome...

Is this a kids show or is this bitch trying to be as patronizing as possible?

some green onions would be dope with this too I bet

chicken stock or ketchup
Preferably chicken stock.

I have four different kinds of rice in my house right now and I eat all of them in different ways. My favorite is asian short grained rice, of which I have a 20lb bag.

Onigiri is the new thing I'm into. It's amazing how much the flavor of rice changes with a few simple additives like vinegar, salt, and nori.

1 Melt butter in pot
2 add Basmati and coriander seeds, toast/stir until the rice smells nutty
2 add diced yellow pepper, let sweat a little bit while stirring (don't let the rice stick to the pot)
3 add some garlic and almost immediately add:
4 liquid twice the dry volume of the rice (can be stock or water, but i like 85% water and 15% vinegar)
5 bring liquid to boil, cover (preferably with a towel between the lid and the pot to trap steam better) and simmer on lowest heat for 11-12 mins
6 meanwhile toast some chopped walnuts (under grill/broiler or in a dry pan)
7 take rice off heat and let stand covered for about 5 mins
8 fluff up rice with fork while stirring thru walnuts

my favourite pilaf atm

>Onigiri
But that's a jelly donut user.

I don't have umeboshi or smoked salmon so I sometimes fill them with peanut butter and jelly.

what does the rice taste like on its own so i know that isn't as disgusting as peanut butter on pickles.

i do canned tuna with a little bit of mayo, sriracha, and few drops of sesame and chili oil and it makes a delicious filling for onigiri

vinegar?

A necessary ingredient of sushi rice.

Add a cream of whatever and put a chicken breast on top. (pic related) If you're poor, add a bouillon cube to the water. I also like sweet chili sauce on my rice, so maybe try experimenting with sauces.

salt, butter, pepper. Our just order the sesame chicken from the Chinese place. Our the store has flavors of rice, mexican, spanish, garlic, feista,lol, for a dollar, all are pretty good.

Use oyster sauce and sesame oil. And vegetables don't just eat rice wtf.

Onigiri do not use sushi rice.
おにぎりに酢飯は普通使わないよ

use chicken stock instead of water. Also add butter when there is just a little bit of water at the bottom. remaining

Cook it with some bouillon or broth or coconut water. Depends on what you're eating it with. You can do a fuck of a lot with rice, my dude.

Try this: get some long grain rice, and cook with 1:1.75 coconut water and some bastard saffron. Add some black beans, diced onion and cilantro, queso fresco, ground beef spiced with cumin (and stuff like coriander, chile powder, paprika, etc...) and eat with arepas and fried plantains.

I've unfortunately been eating rice my whole life and have always found it boring. You can..

Butter and sugar

Soy sauce with a couple drops of sesame seed oil, sprinkle with a few sesame seeds for crunch (careful with the oil though.. it can be overpowering)

Raw egg into hot rice with seaweed flakes. (Bit of soy sauce if unseasoned)

Stir fry meat and veggies.

I rinse it thoroughly and then I let it sit in water for 20 minutes or so. Quite a bit of salt and after it's cooked I usually throw in a few knobs of ghee. I'm a rice novice and still learning tho.

>Sautee half a large onion in butter or bacon fat
>add a few cloves of minced garlic
>Once theyre starting to brown, add 2 cups of rice
>Toast the rice a tiny bit, it should soak up the oil
>Add in 2.5 cups water, a half can or so of tomato paste and a handful of sweet corn
>simmer 20 minutes

Bam, mexican rice.

The rice tastes great on it's own, but I prefer a little "something" extra instead of just a plain ball of rice. Peanut butter is surprisingly nice, especially if you've ever had peanut butter mochi which is basically the same thing.

Today I went for something less sweet and put balls of miso paste in the middle. Very salty but surprisingly satisfying with the way the savory flavor lingers after you're finished eating.

I did a taste test of one straight up and one with rice vinegar and the vinegar one tasted better. It's not so much that it's sour, just a teaspoon or so. Vinegar+salt+furikake was one of the best ones as far as un-filled go.

I don't care much for chipotle food, but the one thing I think they excel at is white rice. If you add a bit of cilantro, lime juice and salt, and fluff up fresh white rice, it's amazingly good. If I'm not trying to be healthy though, I love rice with brown gravy and some seared steak

Basic Azeri plov can be pretty tasty- soak the rice overnight, wash until water is no longer cloudy

Parboil for 5 to 10 mins, then drain.

You can use turmeric or saffron (better aroma and flavor) infusion to get yellow color to the rice for the next part. Simply take 1/4 tsp saffron threads and steep it in 2 tbsp boiling hot water.

Smear some butter on the bottom of your pot and put a tortilla (lavash if you want to be authentic) on top of it. Add 1/4 of the parboiled rice on top of it, then top with 2 tbsp melted butter.

Add another 1/4 layer rice, 2 tbsp butter. Repeat, but add your saffron infusion to the top layer.

Cover and cook on low for 30-40 mins, rice will absorb all the butter, turn yellow, and the tortilla at the bottom will turn into a golden, buttery crust (qazmaq).

Take the rice out, eat with your meats/vegetables, and gently peel the qazmaq from the bottom. You can eat it by itself, or break into pieces to garnish the plov rice.

Almost forgot, basmati rice is best for this type of plov. Also put a paper towel under the lid when you cover the rice for the final cooking so it absorbs the water. Your rice will be more buttery and fluffy afterwards.

I think short grain rice tastes amazing by itself. I soak it for an hour, then cook with equal volume of water for ten minutes. Perfect every time, tastes like in the Korean restaurants

A couple fried eggs. The yolk is basically meat butter.

I use chicken stock and butter to make risotto.

That because you are eating it wrong. Theres no rice, just rice & beans.

Make Jambalaya or a similar stew. Possibly a curry. Serve it over the rice. Why the hell are you trying to eat more or less plain rice. So you eat dry pasta too?

How do the beans make the rice taste better?

1. Literally anything makes rice taste better.

2. Beans made for rice and beans should be made with pork fat. Usually in the form of a ham hock. Pork fat makes everything awesome.

3. is wrong. Rice is good in many things. His hyperbole is well placed. Good beans and rice are a god-tier comfort food.

I usually fry up some Spam with soy sauce and cayenne pepper and mix it in with some basmati rice. Cheap and filling.

I just ad paprika, no salt.

>how do you guys make rice interesting?
As part of my love of Chicken Kitchen,
I like to put some mustard curry sauce on my rice.

Combine mayo, sour cream 50/50, stir in hot mustard powder or mustard, jamaican style (heavy tumeric) curry powder, touch of sweetness from brown sugar or mango chutney. Lime zest if I have limes. Cilantro optional. I can pour that on rice :P

There's a mayo-based recipe that Cubans do with leftover arroz con pollo. They make Arroz Imperial, a casserole of yellow rice, pulled chicken, big chunky pieces of pimentos, with this thin layer of mayo on top underneath thick layer of queso fresca. The cheese and mayo serve to brown heavily when baking, and moisture-proofs the rice below. It's heavenly.

There is no reason to not make pilaf every time you cook rice unless you are making sushi or something other specific that is good on it's own.

When I was in Japan my family cooked me rice everyday for breakfast and in the middle of the table were many packets of different flavored seasoning.

Does anyone know any popular brands of rice seasoning that they might have been, is it a common thing? Like is there a nummmber wan brand?

Probably onigiri seasoning, aka furikake. Think of it like Mrs. Dash plus dried fish flakes. Some of them have sesame.

White rice isn't that healthy with the bran stripped. Switch to brown and you'll see a lot more flavor.

taco seasoned ground beef... scrambled eggs.... sharp cheddar.... mixed all up

Don't switch to brown if you use a rice cooker though. Shit takes like 3.5 hours to cook god damn.

>Don't switch to brown if you use a rice cooker though. Shit takes like 3.5 hours to cook god damn.
Unattended cooking, and hold-at-warm setting until all parties have eaten is pretty much the only really good reason to own a rice cooker.

One day I was hungry and put this together.

>sticky rice done in a rice cooker
>organic black beans
>organic avacado chunks seasoned with salt and pepper
>teriyaki sauce
>crushed red pepper flakes

Cum every time and I'm actually soaking rice right now.

I usually just add olive oil or the drippings from whatever meat I just cooked.

Sazón

Cilantro and lime juice

butter + sweet chili

Best simple rice ever. Every person I have ever served it to has been completely amazed.

a lot of the time i prefer the simplicity and fluffiness of plain white rice imho. but rice is like an empty canvas for any flavour. you could add almost anything and it'll still come out nice.

butter rice with soy sauce
>youtube.com/watch?v=Vpi6VtIPlYQ&index=4&list=PLpzv_OB3l5G3Mo5t66CdBNeBXpSIVWBhP&ab_channel=TheJapaneseDramasMovies

The cantonese answer is to just serve it with other dishes. Most dishes that cantonese people eat are loaded with salt and fat and sometimes bitterness. Also what about risotto, curries, etc? I mean, are there any cultures which actually eat rice plain? Japan is pretty close but even then they eat it with umeboshi, pickles or miso soup. If you're just dieting than you deserve to suffer eating bland food.

butter or chicken stock, with a side of vegetables and yogurt. Hot sauce to taste.

I cook it in chicken stock with a little bit of Worcestershire sauce which does a lot more than you'd think

Sure, was just trying to keep it as simple as possible.

some kimchi mixed into that would also be nice.

Make good home made chili and put it on the rice.

ketchup

Rice with lentils and fried onions: an arabian dish very common in Israel. Not the best recipe I've seen but it's in English :)
jimenaexperience.org/lebanon/about/culture/majadara/

>Fry the dry rice in butter before adding the water

This is called risotto senpai

Shouldnt have made them taste so good

Sugar.

It's usually called Egyptian rice.

no.

take your rice traveling

your rice will have many stories to tell

When do you add it?

pokemon

>how do you guys make rice interesting?

Chicken, Vegetables, Soy Sauce, or Sea Food use your imagination.

I usually cook it with a little butter, salt and a little bit of whatever spice goes with the main dish. Could use stock but I don't usually bother.

Sprinkle a little cinnamon sugar on it

I grew up with garlic fried rice as the typical rice served with meals. Try that.
Per serving, it's

oil, 1tbsp
garlic, minced, 1-2 cloves
rice, cooked, a day or two old and refrigerated, 1 cup
water, quarter cup
salt and pepper, to taste
garlic chives, chopped, 1-2
>or one scallion if garlic chives aren't available

Add oil and garlic to pan and set to high heat.
When garlic starts to blond, add rice and toss about a bit.
Add water, salt and pepper and toss about.
Cook until water is re-absorbed into the rice/evaporated out, then cook a minute or so longer toss the rice about to cook it nicely for good texture.
Off the heat and stir in the garlic chives.
Adjust salt/pepper if/as necessary and serve hot.

I put 2 links of chinese sausage into the rice while cooking. Pretty damn good with a fried egg on top.

Who else likes pilaf?
Well-made pilaf is food for gods, and I don`t even like rice.

I do, I do!
Carrots. Parsnips. Dill. Parsley. Caraway. Cumin.
And veg stock.
So.
Fucking.
Perfect.

>inb4 someone spergrages over gratuitous use of fullstops/periods
Fuck you. (o:

Best rice seasoning i've had is this seasoned Kombu that you can get at Japanese (and maaaaybe some non-japanese asian grocery stores). It's kind of magical.

I grew up in a half-asian household.

We'd only buy jasmine scented thai rice. WHile the rice was plain, we always served it with something flavorful enough to counteract the plainness of the rice.

Curry? dump it on top of the rice.

Stir fry? Mix it with the rice. Campbells mushroom and porkjchops? On top of the rice.

Kai pa lo? Soak that fucking rice in it. 40 clove lemon chicken? It goes on the rice.

Is that the rice that has that is cooked with that small pasta?

Not all pilaf is made that way, but yes, some do have small bits of noodle added to them.
Technically, the American packaged dinner kit Rice-A-Roni is a quick-cook version of Armenian pilaf.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pailadzo_Captanian

Armenian pilaf is not the only type that has pasta, by the way. Several varieties do, but just as many are made with rice only. Pilaf/plov/polo/polao, palov etc has more variations than it has spellings and pronunciations.

Thanks for taking the time to explain user

>not putting old bay over it