This movie was good, but it pisses me off...

This movie was good, but it pisses me off. No chef ever can have the giant house and a family and multiple cars like he has.
otherwise, it was good. We make maximum 40 grand... and that's Canadian. The most you could afford is a shack with one bedroom and one bathroom for 1400 bucks a month, yet this guy has a mansion.

Breaking 6 figures is pretty much impossible as a chef unless you're in charge of an entire hotel, but 40 grand is pretty low - unless the Canadian dollar is doing really well right now. In any case, I thought his ex-wife was rich in the movie.

My older brother is a chef working on a boat with the Australian Maritime Union. They start on $110k/year and go up to $180k/year, more again if he chooses to work extra shifts.

You won't make shit as a chef if you're not prepared to travel.

OP here, please sign me up.
Most i've made is 40 grand on 90 hours a week

Damn, it's been awhile since I've traveled, but apparently USD is up...

It took my bro a long time to get that job, but he basically started out working on a boat doing 1 month on 1 month off for around $45k a year. He was in charge the kitchen, so everything was planned/prepared by him. At the end of each trip the people on board would write feedback/reviews of his cooking, and after a couple of years used that to get into the maritime union.

When it comes to any job, start small, and slowly work up to big. Only people born with a silver spoon in their arse get the jobs straight away.

I'm Canadian
our dollar is worthless
And our housing situation is fucking pathetic.
Everyone I know lives with their parents or in a shack

>a boat
I live in the midland of Canada. Pic related.
Don't give me that silver spoon shit. I've been in this industry since 2003

You seem to speak English. How have you been in the industry for 20 years and still only make 40 grand a year working 90 hour weeks? That's pretty unheard of in the US unless you're you're a complete fuck up, junkie/addict, or illegal.

you canadians have a chinese problem. time to deport them, even if they were born there.

nope, that's how it is in this shit country.
I was actually only making 20 grand a year recently. Your food and housing is so much cheaper. I want to move to the states.
Is North Dakota cool? I'm tired of this joke of a country

>that's how it is in this shit country.
Then move. God damn, I've known retards with more brains than you.

>Is North Dakota cool

... ... No. I haven't really been to rural parts of Canada so I don't know how it compares, but North Dakota is literally the least cool Northern State in the entire country.

that's what I'm saying, is ND cool?
Jesus Christ.

Well anything in the Mountain time zone.

Ok someone please elaborate on the alleged 90 hour work week. Not calling anyone here a liar but I hear this repeated many times from "chefs" online. I'm a "chef" in New Orleans and I might work 60 hours in a really intense week. Frankly that leaves me feeling rather exhausted. How in the fuck are you guys running around for 90 hours every 7 days? With no off days that would be more than 12 hours daily. There is absolutely no excuse for that. Hire some help or find another job, man.

Time zone seems like a strange way of limiting yourself. You're probably closer to the Pacific Northwest and Northern California as you are to fucking Texas, and the former is far more preferable to the latter, despite being in a different time zone.

that's Canada for you.
I get one day off every two weeks, tonight is my day off.

His ex-wife had a mansion and the nice cars because she is rich, he lived in a renovated storage room and needed to beg her ex wifes ex husband to give him an old shitty food truck.

I could easily see a chef doing 90 hours a week including recipe development and off site type shit like meetings and whatnot... But spending all that time just in the kitchen I'd probably kill myself.

I only had 1 chef job and I seldom spent more than 12 hours a day in the kitchen. Come in early and get shit done on slow days. Come in around lunch on busy days and leave after the dinner rush when everything is accounted for. Yeah, if you have a good team you shouldn't need to spend that much time there unless you're either failing or going for your third Michelin star.

that movie was dumb as shit. almost as dumb as someone working 90 evening hours a week for 40k.

What restaurant my dude?

I live uptown near tulane

>No chef ever can have the giant house and a family and multiple cars like he has.

Some can they just choose to invest all their gains into more restaurants

That's what you get for living in fucking Edmonton dude like lmao move to Calgary if you're not even willing to go to a real city it'll still be a massive step up

To make that much money with that many hours you have to making 8.50 an hour without overtime. Minimum wage in Alberta is 11.20 is going up by a dollar in October. For 1400 bucks in Edmonton you can get a 3 bedroom apartment.

You're so fucking full of shit holy crap, either that or you're a literal retard and people are taking advantage of you.

He's probably on salary. A lot of cooking positions go that way because it's way cheaper than paying hourly. Don't think it's supposed to go below the equivalent of minimum wage though, but you'd probably have to go make a claim somewhere about it.

Or he could mean his take home pay is 40k; in some parts of the people's republic of canuckistan the income tax rate is pretty high even on that little income, maybe 20-30%.

Plenty of chefs work that much or even more. I'm just a sous snd i work at least 80hr/wk. I get one day off every other week, same as another user in this thread.

Also, 40k/yr is close to the statistocal average for executive chefs in Canada. For line cooks it's below 30k, which is perilously close to poverty tier considering how high the cost of living is, especially in major cities.

he didn't have a giant house and multiple cars, his wife did
he lived in venice beach and couldn't afford his own shitty food truck
then he maxed out his credit cards fixing it
are you dumb

>lives in 'berta
>bitches about the country being shit
plz leave

Wasn't that his ex-wife's house, you fucking idiot? Or I might be mistaken by the fact that he didn't live with her or his son, and a major plot point was rebuilding his relationship with her and his son.

>our housing situation is fucking pathetic
Move out of Toronto/Vancouver.

I know the head chef at a local Asian restaurant because my Asian wife works there, because she's a bitch.

We went to her house one time, it was fucking huge. She is making a fuck ton of money, but she's got a lot of experience in starting up her own restaurants.

>waaaaah I can't afford my own place on a McJob salary

Unless you're living in one of the very few cities that does have a serious housing problem - in which case consider moving - it's not that bad.

>He married a paki

How the fuck do you chucklefucks make 40k but work 90 hour weeks? Do you all get paid like 8.50/hr?

Ontario's minimum wage is $11something, get with the times jesus fuck.

>what is unpaid overtime

Fucking move to not the shit middle of nowhere. You can't make money there you stupid fuck, you're wasting what little is left in your life.

You can't really add that then though. Its practically volunteering.

What kind of life is that?