Paper wallet security

Thinking of printing my private keys, but doing so in unencrypted text isn't safe at all.

could use a simple cesar cypher before printing, but that might be to easy to crack. doing a "one-time pad" perfect cypher would require the pad to be printed somewhere, which defeats the purpose. Not to mention the problems with getting the plaintext if needed - very error prone.

Not trusting of the ledger nano, so that's not an option.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vigenère_cipher
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Print encrypted qrcode using aes

Could you explain a bit more, user?

just map each of the letters to a number - 1 and each of the numbers to a letter

Sounds great, thanks

keep in mind you have to remember that code. I just used the map the letters to a number and subtract 1 and then just map the numbers to a letter as an easy example.

Try Vigeneres, superior to Caesar's in every way en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vigenère_cipher

Cut the private key into five pieces and hide them in various places.

Just memorise the last few digits if you're worried. The real risk is a keylogger reading your private key when you enter it.

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vigenère_cipher
>The Vigenère cipher consists of several Caesar ciphers in sequence with different shift values.

Very ineresting, thank you

yeah, will have to tinker with something memorable.

Hmm, true with keyloggers. Thinking a fresh laptop used only for crypto stuff would be nice to prevent that. you think an OS like tails or qubes will enhance security in this scenario?

if you just print a bunch of random letters on a sheet of paper without context literally no thief ever would think about putting that onto MEW or wherever
cesar is already overkill you'll just fuck something up and your money is gone

no this is very easy to bruteforce

since the phrase consists of entire dictionary words

every half-assed burglar knows a private key when he sees this

You're thinking to hard, the real weakness of Caesars is the very alphabet you use, some letters are extremely overrepresented. Example the letter E. To crack the code just look for which letter appears the most, most likely that's gonna be an E,A...etc.

The biggest issue is what user here mentioned, and that is keyloggers. No matter how securely you write / obfuscate the key, you're going to eventually have to enter it into a computer. Airgapping and all that minimizes the risk but doesn't eliminate it. I think that's what the appeal of hardware wallets is in that they sign the transaction for you rather than exposing the key.. or am I way off here.

Vigenère_cipher, like Caesar chiffre is of course crackable keep that in mind

best/simple approach would probably
just encrypt it using a password and print the result as qr

weakpoint here of course if the symmetric key/password used

yes you generate the key on a ledger nano offline.
that's why I bought 1, if you do well it's

Can someone explain how airgapping works?

How could you access your wallet when you're not connected to the internet?

Can one beat keylogging by copypasting characters?

Wallets are generated mathematically so you can generate a wallet offline

Write your 25 words, and within them mix 5 words that are important to you.

Anyone who finds it and knows it's a paper wallet would struggle to try every 30c25 combination.

Not perfect but if works.

That's superb, thanks

maybe
but your info is stored digitally
that's gg my d00dlet

Honestly, I can't believe I have to type this up, but if you are super paranoid.

1. Paper wallet saved into a folder on a qubes/tails OS USB
2. encrypt the folder using veracrypt (opensource so can be downloaded anywhere and is not a virus)
3. Save encrypted folders in various places online (because each place it's saved might go down)
4. Buy 10 years of a website domain (even better if domain purchase isn't traceable to you)
5. Upload the encrypted folder onto the website
6. Same as 5 except you upload to the backend of the website (admin portal)
7. Memorise your new website domain and never fucking type it anywhere

Now you can rest assured that even if your house burns down, your computer dies, and google drive is no longer supported, you are still fine.

All this talk about typing and printing. . .
Why not. . .
Write it out?
You know?
With a Pen.

nice, thanks

Yeah, but wouldn't you still need to go online to actually use it and transfer funds?

I have a few written out. Laminated and buried/hidden.

Isn't this just rot-13 Cypher

You can make a transaction on your online computer, then bring the hash to the airgapped computer and sign it with your keys, then bring the signed transaction back to the online computer and broadcast it to the network. If you use a USB key to do this, then you have compromised the offline computer. Armory wallet allows you to do it with QR codes so the airgapped machine stays safe and isolated