Memes you fell for

Memes you fell for.

>he fell for the 'cast iron is a meme' meme. what a cuck.

What can I do with a cast iron that I can't do with a regular skillet?

make it naturally non-stick.

ive had a slice of chicago pizza and honestly..... it was good, especially with pepper flakes. it isnt a gourmet meal or remotely healthy but man it was tatsy for some gross junk food

five guys

bullet resistant against low caliber rounds

Last forever

I got a hamburger and small fries there for the first time today actually. The burger was jumbo sized compared to even like, a big mac or whopper. Free fresh veg toppings too. The kind of thing I'd make at home if I decided I wanted a fuckhuge burger night, seemed very fresh and real compared to other heavily frozen / preserved and processed fast food burgers. The fries were nice, I liked the seasoning. Smallest size was like $2.49 for about as much volume as a large at BK/McD. Under $10 total, took under 10 minutes to prepare, pretty good quality, left me feeling full and satisfied. It gets full marks in my opinion. Little more expensive than normal fast food but you taste the difference. I'd go there again if it was closer to home.

living in a big city

This sentiment irks me. I can understand nonstick teflon pans wearing out, but can anyone really suggest that a tri-ply stainless pan like all-clad is any less durable than cast iron? I love my old cast iron skillet, but clad stainless steel is bulletproof. Cook literally whatever you want, tomatoes with wine, caramel, it doesn't give a fuck. Scrape it with the most gnarly of metal spatulas. Let it air dry after washing, no drying with a towel immediately. Looks a little beat up? Get some barkeepers friend and scrub that little bitch until he's shiny again. If our grandparents and great grandparents had access to stainless cookware like we do, they'd be using it most of the time.

>all clad tri ply stainless steel pan - $90
>lodge cast iron skillet - $35
Wow tough choice

>go to TJ Maxx, Marshall's, or HomeGoods and get All Clad for ~$45 :^)

You'd get a more versatile pan with the all clad. I still love my cast iron and it has its place in my kitchen, but it's not as easy to maintain as based stainless. Also, my argument was over toughness, not price/value ratio.

I never understood the whole issue with cast iron
I find it easy enough to maintain
the only faggots who whine are ones who don't like maintenance and probably don't even wash up as they're cooking

So now you're trying to imply that stainless steel is tougher than cast iron?

Try and act superior on the internet because you use outdated, inferior equipment

If something didn't exist 150 years ago, it's bad
t. Veeky Forums cast iron neckbeard
p.s. I only drink imperial stout, if you can't handle imperial stout you have some growing up to do, kid

It's not hard at all to maintain, it's just not as easy as stainless. If something's stuck from someone else using it you can't let it soak and no scotch-brite or barkeepers friend. And you also can't put it in the dishwasher, or at least I don't.

Sure. For everyday cooking/cleaning purposes, yeah I'd say good clad stainless is tougher than cast iron. I have had to regrind rust off cast iron that a roommate misused, and I have never had any problems with stainless. This is only my opinion based off my practical experience.

Do you have reading comprehension issues?

No, why would you say that? My SAT CR was 770. What was yours?

Were you implying that I was a cast iron elitist after writing that autistic defense of clad stainless over cast iron? Or were you being a sarcastic memer? If the latter, then I misunderstood.

>SAT score
>he doesn't know that my school only did ACT
>that was 10 years ago... fuck you user, I feel old

>not understanding extremely heavy-handed sarcasm
Are you German? I'm not being sarcastic this time.

No, I'm just tired, m9. I'm ill and I didn't sleep, now it's 7:35 here. Let me go

go get some rest user, it is time to close them sleepy peepers

But user, I have to argue about memes and cast iron on Veeky Forums

thisnis why never let anyone else use your cast iron.

i think the biggest plus of cast iron is when you turn it into a family heirloom, passed down through generations.

its pretty awesome to cook with something your grandparents cooked for your parents with, and your parents cooked for you with etc.

a rare opportunity of continuity, especially if you prepare the same dishes with them as well.

nice cat user
but there will be more arguing when you get back and you need to rest to get better

Not just a cat, is kot blini. He will never be my cat, sadly. Goodnight.

sarcasm is weak and the cousin of lies.

why even use sarcasm (which literally reads as if you are not saying what you mean), when instead you can just say what you mean and mean what you say.

sarcasm is also innately "bitchy".
its impolite and disrespectful.

Agree, tried these once when they were on mark down. Not very good at all.

Thus far the *best* frozen pizza - if we aknowledge that frozen pizza by it's nature is going to be mediocre at best - is Digornio, specifically it's pizzeria specialty brand, even more specifically it's flat crust pizzeria pepperoni.

Regular, non Pizzeria brand Digornio is of course, shit tier. But the pizzeria label stuff stands up to frozen pizza's twice the price

Cast Iron is lauded for it's durability, seasonability, and the fact it holds and conducts heat extremely well. Thus, for very high temperature or long term low temperature cooking procedures, it is an excellent material. More modern materials simply won't give you as good of a sear or fry, or stand up to 12 hour long cooking procedures as well.

>Memes you fell for.

Himalayan pink salt.

This one fooled everyone.

>tfw just pulled the trigger
the 24cm cast iron skillet i was watching on amazon just dropped by 25%

This holy shit.

Try making blini or regular pancakes on cast iron, then try on any other pan. In some foods, cast iron is crucial.

Not I.

I had already figured that the majority of humanity got along fine for millennia before even taking a lick of that shite.

>I have a jar on my table
>it was a gift

>try and act
you mean try to act, idiot.

wouldnt the pancake be extremely difficult to remove from the cast iron surface?

I think that this pizza is pretty damn good. It's too expensive for a frozen pizza but overall pretty good

>holds
Sorta, mostly in virtue of its mass. A thick aluminum pan would do the same, they just tend to be made thinner (but that's not always true)
>Conducts
Hell no, there's a reason the french use cast iron as handles on their copper pans

you fell for pies? How are pies a meme?

Cook a steak. I mean, really cook a steak.

>The main advantage of cast iron is that it has very high volumetric heat capacity, which means that once it's hot, it stays hot. This is vitally important when searing meat. To really heat cast iron evenly, place it over a burner and let it preheat for at least 10 minutes or so, rotating it every once in a while. Alternatively, heat it up in a hot oven for 20 to 30 minutes
>The other advantage is its high emissivity—that is, its tendency to expel a lot of heat energy from its surface in the form of radiation. Stainless steel has an emissivity of around .07. Even when it's extremely hot, you can put your hand close to it and not feel a thing. Only the food directly in contact with it is heating up in any way. Cast iron, on the other hand, has a whopping .64 emissivity rating, which means that when you're cooking in it, you're not just cooking the surface in contact with the metal, but you're cooking a good deal of food above it as well. This makes it ideal for things like making hash or pan roasting chicken and vegetables.

The first point is very valid.

The second is pretty much bunk because a pan doesn't cook food by radiation, it cooks it by conduction. Radiation is only relevant in a situation where the food is enclosed on all sides by the iron. For example, making a pot roast in a dutch oven. For typical skillet tasks like cooking a steak, chop, sauteing, etc, emissivity is irrelevant.

I fell for the induction cooking meme

What's so memey about it?