Who else /fasts/ here?

Who else /fasts/ here?

This thread technically belongs here, since its related to food, or more like lack of it.

I fast for two weeks every six months (eating absolutely nothing during that time), and I have to say it feels pretty great once you get over day 3.
After you get over the overall feeling of hunger, low blood sugar and stomach cramps, it almost feels like being high on something.

>Days 1-3 you feel just tired and bummed out.

>Days 4-7 you feel like your body is purging itself of all the unwanted shit it has accumulated, and you overall feel like you're regenerating, and your body feels very light.

8-14 you just feel very calm, creative and almost like a different person, clean of all excess crap.

Btw, I don't do it for religious reasons.

Unless you're a fat fuck that literally can't go two hours without eating, I'd recommend giving fasting a chance at least once.

Other urls found in this thread:

sciencemag.org/news/2015/06/short-term-fasting-may-improve-health
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intermittent_fasting
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>14 days
WHAT EVEN
I do Intermittent fasting and think of adding 1-2 days fasting a week but doing 2 fucking weeks is malnutrition

Fasting for anything but religious reasons is stupid. It's bad for you, makes you feel lethargic when you perform any decent activity, and is just flat out stupid.

It doesn't cleanse you, it doesn't purify you, it doesn't do anything but make you suffer, which can bring its own(spiritual or mental) advantages, but there are absolutely no physical benefits from fasting you dumb bitch.

There is you fucking moron, there are numerous studies on it but you fucking faggot can't use even fucking google, what a moron.

I guess if you work an indoor pussy office job then fasting might help you since you probably are a fat ass anyways, but people that do physical work for a living(like me) and live an active lifestyle will see ZERO benefits from fasting.

Keep in mind that for many religions the idea of "fasting" isn't quite the same as the traditional definition. For example, Muslims fast for Ramadan. But that only means they do not eat between sunup and sunset. They do eat at other times of the day. Other religious fasts only refer to certain types of foods. It's possible that OP is describing something like that.

>pussy office job
Still can buy your whole family in a whim. Also if you don't know how to incorporate fasting in your life and what is useful for youre beyond retarded.
>Muslims fast for Ramadan
And also don't drink water which is beyond retarded.
>It's possible that OP is describing something like that
Well he should of explained what he meant by that, its not wise to make a thread like that.

>Still can buy your whole family on a whim.

Doubt it. I probably make more money than you and have better benefits than you.

>tfw idiot posts retarded shit and OP is fighting his personal attacks

>boasts about working physical job like a monkey
>making more money
You don't have the brain capacity to make even 1/10th of it.

>Implying OP didn't post stupid shit like bragging about the pseudo health benefits of starving yourself.
OP is probably a woman too, which totally jives with the crash diet "purge" and "cleanse" shit.

wew, another personal attack...
did you lost your way to /b/ or something, sir?

I did 23 days once with just water, after a couple weeks I struggled to get out of bed, at 3 weeks I started to vomit a extremely bitter liquid so I drank some fruit juice, finally I cracked and ate subway. I just wanted to see how long I could go.

Wow, another complete dismissal of the truth that fasting is physically harmful to healthy people.

How do you even get through the fucking day?

do you even research or just put things out of your ass?
sciencemag.org/news/2015/06/short-term-fasting-may-improve-health
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intermittent_fasting

Fasting is out of the question in my current situation.

I'm training to run three miles in 20 minutes or less and I couldn't imagine doing that shit on an empty stomach.

He is a complete retard who can't spend few minutes to research a subject, just ignore him.

Fasting is an eating disorder.

I used to fast during summer but in winter it's too hard because you feel cold all the time and the feeling wont go away. It's getting warmer and I plan to eat during the week and fast for the weekend. My uni gives me free meals during week but not in the weekends so I would spend nothing on food.

Did you even read that shit?
> These findings suggest intermittent fasting has the potential to improve health and reduce the risk of chronic diseases; HOWEVER THIS HAS NOT BEEN REPRODUCED IN LONG-TERM HUMAN STUDIES.

>The review also concluded that intermittent fasting has not been studied in children, the elderly, or the underweight, AND COULD BE HARMFUL IN THIS POPULATION.

>They also suggest that those choosing to fast for periods of time greater than 24 hours should be monitored by a physician

>The review also concluded that fasting is UNLIKELY to have much effect on conditions OTHER THAN OBESITY...

God, you're fucking stupid.

I do a 24 hour fast twice a week. Feels great.

I don't go longer than 24 as some studies suggest that once you go past that it starts to become detrimental, and nearly all studies done suggest that it is certainly detrimental once you go past 36 hours.

>benefits of fasting
>none
ftfy OP

>finally I cracked and ate subway

Why Subway? After 23 days you deserve something better!

I only read the headline because of my ADHD and I'm currently fasting.

It's okay, it's not entirely your fault. Now go get something to eat.

I'm on day 5 of a water fast.

Feeling cleaner already

Fasting for religious reasons is fucking stupid because you aren't able to say perhaps a pedo who lives over a thousand years ago might have been wrong on the whole going without water while abstaining from food.

Buddha was a pedo?

Your studies don't support your claim.

You claim a 2 week water fast is healthy judging by your OP.
That's not short term fasting.

Show one study that shows a wide range of benefits for 2 week water fasting.

>Well there is a study that says it's alright to do 500 calories day once every week
>So I guess that must also be in support of a 2 week water fast.

Buddhists drink water while fasting.

>man who lived 2500 years ago is an authority on nutrition.
"no"

Fasting for religious reasons is stupid.

Dont you like die if your body can't cleanse itself of harmful debris etc?

Most I've fasted was for 27 consecutive days, I try to fast 3 days a week, and I do it for religious reasons.

Besides spiritual, it does have a lot of physical benefits as well since your immune system can only work at its highest capacity only if your body isn't busy digestings, which is extremely energy consuming, and if you are eating every day your immune system never gets a break.

After about 10 days of fasting (this is with water, you should pretty much always drink water when your body asks for it) the cleansing of your body and the immune system reaches down to the cellular level and starts breaking apart and consuming bad cells, for this reason fasting is a cure to many diseases including cancer. Even 3 day fasts help a lot towards your bodily health; this is also the reason why your body cuts down your appetite when you get sick, so that your immune system can recover.

Once again, there will be posts here with links to articles saying "there's no evidence, please stop fasting and continue to be an obese man lest we earn less from hospital bills, fast food chains and you having a longer life" but there are also many articles showing this centuries old tradition actually does have benefits.

Ask away if you have questions, NWO shills need not apply.

Would I still be able to lift and do BJJ on a long fast? Do any of you guys even work out?

Depends on what you mean by a long fast and how accustomed you are to fasting.
2 days? No problem, you'll feel a little weak, you won't have as much gains, but you'll do fine.

More than that? Depends on if your body is used to fasting and how intense your work out is. (I'm talking about fasting from food only, I wouldn't recommend doing any exhaustive exercises without water)

I'm 10 kg under the expected weight for my height but I still fast.

>harmful to the underweight

I don't care. I also eat large amounts of sugar that may be harmful but I just don't care.

>you either do fasting
>or you're obese
When I was a college swimmer I ate close to 10k calories every day when training.

Any fast would have completely wrecked me from any chances.

And show the links (preferably reviewed studies) that show the benefits of a water fast that lasts 10+ days.

>Don't care about my health
We already figured that out.

>it almost feels like being high on something
Starvation symptom.

>itt: hungry skeletons delirious from malnutrition

I did not claim that people are fat if they don't fast, just saying the sponsored "researchers" who talk against fasting are mostly paid by people who want public to be unhealthy blobs.

Nor did I claim that you should be fasting if you are seriously involved in sports where you lose 10k calories a day, that would go against what you do.

I do have books about fasting, mostly Christianity oriented, but no links I can give you; yet I'm pretty sure if you googled you'd come across a few good ones. Best thing is to try it yourself, try fasting for a single day a week, see how you respond to it and you can go from there.

>fasting=anorexia

Nice try buddy.

I fasted for 10 days once just because.
Felt pretty nice.

It's really easy to fast. It feels nice, and you feel pretty much completely normal except much cleaner and lighter. I've done a 6.5-day one, but 3-to-4-day-long ones are super-easy and you usually don't even notice.

>the sponsored "researchers" who talk against fasting are mostly paid by people who want public to be unhealthy blobs
Sure they are.

>about fasting, mostly Christianity
This really deserves an anime reaction image.

>felt pretty nice
Euphoria is not a positive symptom by definition.

>Euphoria is not a positive

Why exactly do you think people do drugs

Is that taiwanese chalkboard girl supposed to convey an image of ignorance? Either ask and do some actual research or remain ignorant.

Only during ramadan. My family raised me muslim but I don't believe in that shit.

Just keeps up appearances and is good bonding time with friends and family.

>claims fasting is beneficial
>provides zero evidence to support
>answers criticism with a request for evidence
>throws burden of proof on others

Are fasting faggots the new vegans?

Funny how you can make anyone look bad by assuming their position on an anonymous imageboard and posting and obviously over-the-top, insult rich reply with zero value to bait others, right my fellow anonymous poster friend?

> children
You are out of the game then anyway

>gets butthurt easily when called out
>resorts to tu quoque
>resorts to sarcasm

Yup. Self starvers confirmed for vegan 2.0.

You're trying too hard buddy.

OP literally has an eating disorder.

Please don't be cruel, it's not nice to mock people who are mentally ill.

>still samefagging with zero value nonsensical posts

Trying too hard.

>I do have books about fasting, mostly Christianity oriented
> it almost feels like being high on something.

Almost as though you feel closer to God?

Yeah. Reduced brain function due to low blood sugar will produce feelings of euphoria (in b4), possible hallucinations and in extreme cases fitting: all the things you would associate with Christian sects who emphasis fasting.

I fast 1 day each week, feels pretty good. I find the next day I have heaps of energy and turn into a sexual beast. Also when trying to lose weight it's nice to have 1 day of negative calories.

>trying to convince others that a stupid dad is 'healthy' despite zero supporting evidence
>utterly fails
>gets insane with the buttpain
>tells others they're trying too hard

Still waiting for the evidence supporting the claim that fasting for two weeks is in any way beneficial.

Let's look at the facts. After two weeks of fasting, your electrolytes are going to be out of whack and your body will be breaking down your own muscle for protein to keep up energy levels. What the fuck is healthy about that?

> it almost feels like being high on something.

Where in my post have I said this? Are you just randomly adding stuff to try make a point?

And no, I wouldn't bother trying explain the spiritual benefits of fasting in an anonymous image board to someone uninterested and spiritually ignorant.

Still trying?

If you are actually interested, firstly no, I didn't suggest anyone to do a 14 day fast out of nowhere, you start with a meal or a single day and you go from there. Secondly, your body and your muscles will surely feel weaker, but this does no damage, you pick up your strenght very soon after you start eating again. A person can go without eating for 40 days without any risk of permanent damage, but once again, I'm not saying you should go and do a 40 day fast without prior experience.

>your electrolytes are going to be out of whack
This is genuinely funny.

Honestly, if you really do care, just do a single day fast. Drink as much water as you want but fast from eating, see how it feels for yourself rather than wasting your time in fruitless discussions.

>Increased energy
>Increased energy from limiting your calorie (read: energy) intake
What?

>Food and cooking board
>Thread about going out of your way to avoid eating
Isnt it like posting about reading books on /v/?

Also, fasting is foremost a spiritual practice. It's to discipline your body, denying your flesh and acknowledging it is God who sustains you. It loses its meaning when you do it just for the health benefits and the "feel" of it, but there is that aspect as well.

Fasting really doesn't belong here; but then again there isn't really a board for it.

Anorexia threads belong on .

OP, did you forget to mention fasting makes you more susceptible to getting sick? Not to mention the obvious side effects of exhaustion from lack of calorie intake.

Title of journal article is "Ramadan Fasting and Infectious Diseases: A Systematic Review", if anyone is curious.

Also, it breaks your dick.

"The Effect of Fasting on Erectile Function and Sexual Desire on Men in the
Month of Ramadan"

No need to be aggressive friend.

The "fasting" done is Ramadan is not a real fast. They stop eating for a period of time within a day, and on the same day they engorge themselves with food in a single sitting at late evening, go to sleep, wake up in the middle of the night to engorge themselves on food again, go to sleep again, then wake up to "fast".

All within the same day and all this does is to mess up your bodily order.

I see. So only your definition of fasting is the "true" definition. Good to know.

I'm not being aggressive, it really is where it belongs. It doesn't belong anywhere but there and /b/ I guess.

>The Caduceus being used in a medical context.

100% pleb.

If you can't see why that is from the simple explanation either you are mentally lacking or you have another reason behind your post.

Good ad hominem. I knew posting actual studies in this thread would be pointless, but I didn't think it would devolve quite this quickly.

Good thing you didn't post anything of any value while being incapable of comprehending a simple explanation then, keep posting.

>Also, fasting is foremost a spiritual practice

So are eating poisonous mushrooms, spinning around in a circle, being hung by hooks from your pectorals, handling rattlesnakes, flogging yourself with knives, wearing a sarissa, being voluntarily crucified, ramming skewers through your cheeks, eating dead bodies from the Ganges, rubbing your forehead on carpet until you get a corn and more. None of them make any fucking sense. At least intermittent short term fasting is unlikely to do any permanent harm, I guess, but it's still retarded to try to sell it to others on a fucking cooking board.

they don't drink water too you fucking retard which makes them dehydrated which is extremely unhealthy. Its like people here have reading disability.

>Where in my post have I said this?
>it almost feels like being high on something.

I'm a professional survival guide. I teach people how to survive in the wild. I was also on Naked and Afraid.

OP is either a troll or an idiot. I went three weeks on NaA with almost no food at all. It doesn't feel good. It feels like you're dying. Because you are. At two weeks with absolutely no food, your body begins to canabalize itself. Your muscles start to break down and your organs start shutting down to save what little energy you have.

I was in and out of the hospital after NaA because I had issues with my kidneys and intestinal tract due to not eating for so long. Regularly going two weeks without food could actually cause permanent organ damage, and would likely take years off your life.

Take it from me: don't do it. Let idiots like me do it on TV for your entertainment. You have to be crazy to want to do what I do.

It'd be more like posting about how much you hate video games on /v/.

Wait, fuck...

>it almost feels like being high
Junkie ravings then, opinion invalidated.

>he's mentally damaged and thinks fasting is good

>fasting for superstitious reasons isn't stupid

It's literally made-up cartoon fantasy tales. But not fulfilling a basic need for survival because le fairy tales say not to isn't stupid?

hope you weren't planning on being taken seriously.

One important thing about fasting is drinking your water hot or lukewarm and running an enema for a week or so each morning and evening.

It's like magic.