Taking a joke serious

If its 0 degrees C today, and its going to be twice as cold tomorow how cold will it be?

-136.5 degrees C.

Am i right?

That's a valid answer, so is 0 C, and so is 16 F. It's an ambiguous question.

you convert it to ºF

"Twice as cold" isn't clearly defined.

OP Here. I took today as in an earrth day. Since nowhere on earth will ever have a day of 0K i assumed it was celcius. I assumed celcius because where i am that is the unit we use for temp (soz americans). So since 0C = 273K i took half of that

But i see where the people measuring in F are coming from because 0F would = something different in K

We could define "cold" as the difference between the climactic average temperature for that day of the year, versus the actual temperature.

If you were to convert the fahrenheit to kelvin then find the value that is "double as cold", you end up with the same result that you had with the celsius ⇒ kelvin conversion.

>So since 0C = 273K i took half of that
you said right before that you assumed celsius. You can't just change.
By your logic, I could also say "well 0C = 32F I took half of that"

Let's say the average temp for April 22nd is 65°F. On today, April 22nd, the temperature is 55°F. Tomorrow will be 45°F, twice as cold relative to what's normal for this time of year.

converting 0C to K is 273K.

Half of 273K is 136.5K

136.5K converted back to C is -136.5C

Make any Sense?

Please explain further why i cannot do this

You cant convert C to F and take half because the scales those two measures use are different.

Also the scales F and K are different

However the scale used to measure K and C are the same.

As K = C +273 (no coefficients or exponents)
therefore the scale between them is = +273

This is another reason to use C to define todays temperature as it shares a scale with K

Because you made an assumption that you were allowed to do that.
You could also assume 32F = 0C therefore 16F therefore -8.89 C

To add to this, Celcius is based off of the freezing point of water, Kelvin is based off of the absolute coldest temperature.
How do you double the freezing point of water ?

No because F and C do not share the same scale. You would have to find the Conversion formula for C to F and factor in its inverse function when halving it.

But that was a logical point you made. i however still disagree

But regardless an increase in 1C is also = to an increase in 1K

But Celsius is a more relative scale than kelvin

define relative more broadly please

Kelvin is absolute, Celsius is relative

Same object at 20C doesn't have half energy as something at 40C

Object at 100K has half energy as something at 200K

Calculate the mean kinetic energy of the air molecules and half that then find what temperature that corresponds to
Werks for kelvin

And with that this thread has a conclusion.

Well done user

>It's another which temperature scale is best thread

>anything but kelvin
>not killing yourself
Pick one

Kelvin is also relative

By the way, temperature doesn't work like that

You must have great social skills.

So we should just measure temperature in average kinetic energy of particles, right?

>using a temperature scale that could kill you

It isn't the different scale that's the problem because you convert it to F and then back to C, and halving something doesn't depend on the units, only the zero point.
The reason it makes no sense to convert to F and back is that the zero point is arbitrary.
"Twice as cold" really means "half the distance from absolute zero", and K is convenient for this because its zero point is absolute zero.
You don't really need to convert your units at all, what you're doing is moving the temperature closer to absolute zero, and this is independent of units.

How does it feel to be retarded?

since when does science care about killing things

The question states that it will be twice as cold. Coldness must be measured on an absolute scale. Only Kelvin or Rankine will do for that

It depends on the baseline. Room temperature is 22 degrees C, so it may be -22

>twice as cold

>People itt don't think an absolute temperature scale exists
gtfo pls

Then that doesn't make any sort of sense contextual sense if the actual temperature is the same as the climactic average temperature for that day of the year.

>It's two degrees
>It's twice as cold tomorrow
>Average for today is two degrees
>Therefore it will be two degrees tomorrow
>Temperature remains the same

That's probably the reason that I've never heard somebody say a day was "twice as cold" as anything in conversation before this meme started.

there is no such thing as cold. you can only interpret the question as finding the temp that would double the heat flux leaving your body

cold is relative. to be "twice as cold", you need to be twice away from the "neutral point" where it's neither cold nor hot. for me that's 16 C, so for me twice as cold as 0 C would be -16 C and thrice would be -32 C
tldr; it's a stupid phrase in general

The only moderately intelligent person on Veeky Forums

My IQ is 300 you brainlette.

>there's no such thing as cold
>only less hot

Your argument doesn't really work because of the Rankine scale—that is to say that Fahrenheit has an absolute zero scale that scales equally to follow as does Celsius. Defining temperatures with any scale is a matter of preference at this point.