Immortality research

Anyone researching immortality? Can I get me some of that shit?

Other urls found in this thread:

theguardian.com/society/2015/feb/25/first-full-body-transplant-two-years-away-surgeon-claim
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Living forever would be awful.

Living for 10,000 years would not. Nobody said you have to keep living.

Too long. Why would you want to live that long? What would you do with all that time? Especially as after 150 or so you wouldn't be able to move.

The entire point would be to stave off the effects of aging, including the loss of mobility. I'm not quite sure why you would picture immortality as being stuck in a normally aging body that is incapable of dying even if the inhabitant wants it too.

Unless you're just so autistic that "immortality" and "negligible senescence" aren't interchangeable to you.

Immortality will likely be available by 2060. Raging autists on Veeky Forums who don't at all understand current research methods will debate this, however

>Too long. Why would you want to live that long?

Do you want to die right now? Presumably not, because you're still alive. So why do you think you'll want to die a few decades from now?

Me, I'd like the option to live as long as I like. (And so would you, but you've internalized a sour grapes mentality about it.)

>Especially as after 150 or so you wouldn't be able to move.

Huh?

Oh, as for what I'd do with all of that time, work on shit to enhance ourselves biologically. Build a framework for full-body transplants. Make ourselves strong, dense, efficient, durable, more intelligent, cure baldness, make my dick 9 inches long, build a powered space-worthy exoskeleton, live on Mars for a century or two, get a full body transplant to become anything that I sexually fantasize about, wage a galactic campaign of conquest, jack off, etc.

Oh, and create a race of intellectually inferior cat girl slaves with a psychologically ingrained need to please. I bet video games will be pretty sweet in 1,000 years as well.

It's impossible to live forever. You can thank the laws of thermal dynamics for that.

Well, I am undergrad hoping to get aging related field of study. In my experience, the idea of living for as long as you like is not very well received. When I tell people I would like to research life extension people either go "oh cool" or I get laughed out of the room.

>laws of thermal dynamics
Just how do those jellyfish do it?

We're rooting for you mate, don't let them stop you. Only those who care get to live forever.

But it's not impossible to Ship of Theseus a molecular arrangement that processes electrical and chemical signals very similar to the way you do.

>It's another ''Why would you want to live forever episode''

Oh fuck off. I want to. If you don't it's your fucking problem. If I'm REALLY bored at some point I'll jump in a volcano. I'm incredibly curious. I enjoy observing the world. I don't whine about no gf or any other stupid r9k tier pseudo intellectual 2deep4you drama. Hurr life is dark durr life is hard why would you want to experience it anymore.

Fuck I don't know what's your problem mate, I mean nothing and read this correctly NOTHING is stoping (You) from mcfucking killing yourself.

In fact, if you think we should stop any technological progress for your feelings you should fuck right back to tumblr or on r9k crawling in your skin you orange that won't peel.

I wanna see the stars. I wanna record history and if I end up a crazy old lunatic ranting on the streets of Cydonia about how we all were once confined to earth I will be happy. Maybe not you, but you will have killed yourself over the last season of mlp anyways.

You limp dicked virgins.

There already is a cure for baldness.

Take your paedophile cartoons back to /a/

Is that rasputin?

Probably. I'm sure there's only one guy with a beard.

Having a long life is nice, that is why modern medical practices are praised.
They focus on ailing illnesses that people get so you can reach your full potential of living a fulfilled life.

Why would you want to live forever though?
If everyone lived forever, there would be major overcrowding problems.
And if you solely desire for yourself to live forever, that's incredibly unrealistic and fairly selfish.

You live your life. You've played your story, give yourself rest. Do not fall for gluttony.
Let others write their stories. Let others live a life.

Living to survive, isn't surviving to live forever. You survive until you are satisfied with how you lived.
This is why you have children. So you can give them the same opportunity you had.
If you were to think that your parents giving birth to you were more of a curse and that "you never asked for this", I feel sorry that you believe that.

Living forever would numb the pleasures, pains, tribulations, triumphs of your life.
There is no risk, and adversely, no reward.
The desire to live forever, is playing life on Easy.

It's always nice to have people who don't want to live forever around. They are like the people who willingly give their seat on the lifeboat to you.

>If everyone lived forever, there would be major overcrowding problems.
Can be fixed easily
>And if you solely desire for yourself to live forever, that's incredibly unrealistic and fairly selfish.
Who said anything about that?
>Do not fall for gluttony.
>Implying wanting to live longer is gluttony
Why don't you just kill yourself now then?
>You survive until you are satisfied with how you lived.
Except this isn't even remotely true. Do you think everyone is satisfied with their life when they die?
>This is why you have children
Yes, we had all better bow down to some anonymous person on the internet who tells us why we do whatever we do.
>Living forever would numb the pleasures, pains, tribulations, triumphs of your life.
You would know best right? Having lived forever and all.

[eternal shitposting]

This is the real reason that nobody wants to admit to

Everyone who wants to live forever has grand aspirations of doing great things but they'd just end up shitposting on the internet for eternity

fuck you, emo faggot. kill yourself if living is so bad, shithead

Heat death of the universe.

Then we escape the universe.

Aren't there already people working on full body transplants? Or at least isn't some crazy italian dude saying that we are working on it?

theguardian.com/society/2015/feb/25/first-full-body-transplant-two-years-away-surgeon-claim

We create a new universe, dummy.
Our capabilities are endless.

The real question for a lot of us though is who that will be available for. Sure, you might be able to make some twenty-something live a helluva lot longer, but what about those of us who will be seventy or eighty years old by that time? Are we just gonna end up having our lives drawn out into some cruel twilight where they can keep us alive a few decades longer than normal before there's nothing left?

That would suck hardcore. I would say that would be just my luck, but
>implying I would be able to afford it in the first place

If you want to die, what are you waiting for?
Retard.