If I teach myself calculus and applied physics will I be able to change the world? Is it futile?

If I teach myself calculus and applied physics will I be able to change the world? Is it futile?

Try it. You never know.

lay off the adderall buddy

Thanks broh for reassuring me

Name one super vilain in real life like you want to become who was also a scientist.

Protips: You can't

>this trigger the assperg ctrl+fing like madmen their wiki's folder

Im not trying to become a villain I mean I'm focusing my time on artificial gravity within physics fucking hard though.

Good intentions. Broken men.

>artificial gravity
Just build a rotating donut.

Also you need a degree if you ever want to do something beyond crank shit, as employers cafe about proof of your academic accomplishments rather than taking your word for it.

Damn society and its fucking degrees. I mean in the past we had some real amateur shit. Plus some of the greatest inventions were accidents. So I hope I can accomplish something with artificial gravity haha

You guys ever go to one of your local research colleges and collaborate with the professors?

I mean, if you stroll out your garage in your hovering craft it's sure going to be worth the recognition of your skills but until then this damned society need some sort of proof that you're not a con artist.

In the past we knew jack shit, so it was way easier to make a contribution with more basic knowledge than today.

>super vilain in real life
What.

>muh calculus

What's the obsession with calculus (and integrals in particular), like it's some sort of holy grail?

So without a degree you're a nobody at worst, or a crank at best?

You'll probably be at the level of a first-year physics student.

In Denmark it's common that people in the industry go back to their old university to do collaborations with their old professors. Provided their bosses allow it ofc. (sometimes they won't because everything they do in collaboration with a university will be publicly published ofc.)

This is not actually true.

>So without a degree you're a nobody at worst, or a crank at best?

generally, yeah. i'm sure you can point to that 1/10000 nigga that made it off pure talent and drive, but even then the rest of your peers are still going to view you as uneducated and ignorant.

secondary education isn't just about getting a good job. its the mark of the upper class, the mark of a professional who takes his career seriously. It says you were willing to pay your dues proper.

The unabomber was an associate professor at my Alma Mater and had a PhD in mathematics from UMich IIRC. Also a Harvard alum.

Depending on the view, basic calculus is considered either the pinnacle of what can still be called "elementary mathematics" (which roughly corresponds to what is being taught up to and including highschool), or a step beyond that, and a gateway to advanced mathematics. Therefore it is very often used as a pivotal reference point in a person's mathematical education.

Who gives a shit what your peers think about you if your invention or product is making $$$
Veeky Forums is just being autistic about this. Advanced maths is anything that isn't taught widely. Calculus is optional therefore most people don't know it. In my country (UK) it's taught in A level which stands for advanced level. Advanced doesn't have anything to do with difficulty. Advanced means "further down the rabbit hole" That's why programming is "advanced computing" even though it's not hard at all.

>Who gives a shit what your peers think about you if your invention or product is making $$$

Don't underestimate the power of butthurt. If you excel better than your peers while having lower formal qualifications than them, you can rest assured at least some won't wish you well and will go out of their way to put you down. Even worse, some superiors believe that such a situation "lowers morale" across the team, and will eagerly get rid of such a person who just "doesn't fit" because of "being better while being worse".