Ok so I just moved to a new city where seafood is pretty much 4/5 restaurants near me and everyone owns a boat/fishes...

Ok so I just moved to a new city where seafood is pretty much 4/5 restaurants near me and everyone owns a boat/fishes. Problem is, I don't eat seafood. Nothing. Not even fish sticks.

Whats some good seafood that I could just try to start out that wouldn't be too overwhelming for someone with strong distaste towards it? I know for a fact that I hate shrimp, so that wouldn't be a starting thing. Maybe some fish that doesn't taste overly fishy taste/texture wise.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balkenbrij
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

something fried.

Fried cod, fried haddock, pasta with clam sauce, crab cakes

Liberally season everything with lemon juice, vinegar, or hot sauce.

Cold beer.

Fish sticks

Generally speaking, fish with white flesh tend to be pretty mild in flavor, so those would be a good starting point. If you mention your location then we can suggest specifics that are likely to be found in your area.

Also, you might consider trying some things you think that you don't like. The reason I mention that is seafood is highly subject to freshness and cooking skill. You may have not liked it before because all that you had was either old, poorly prepared, or both. That's unlikely to be a problem in an area known for seafood.

I live in South Florida, bout 10 miles from the coast. I've never wanted to have crab, lobster, or any shellfish of any kind. I don't know if its just a mind game I play with myself or what, but something about seafood completely turns me off.

Which city or area of the world? The seafood is only as good as what's available fresh.

I'm in the same boat, I want to try it, but my brain just goes full NOPE mode on certain things. Mussels for instance, the idea that it is a complete animal you put in your mouth turns me off completely. While I have no problem at all shovelling the local variant of black pudding: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balkenbrij

Fried shrimp and some cocktail sauce

Try flounder. It's native to your area, mild in flavor, no creepy shells or pincers.

It tastes great cooked just about every way.

OP here.

What I do know (or can tell from pictures of people fishing around here/ restaurant menus ive seen so far) is that Mahi Mahi seems to be a pretty standard fish in these parts. Would that be a pretty basic food to start with?

Scallops are a good bet. They taste meaty and only slightly fishy.

jew?

Ah so you moved to maine. Pretty cold up their eh?

>I know for a fact I hate shrimp

You're already going about this the wrong way. Take a step back, and start from scratch. Think about the way that shrimp was cooked, and find another way to do it. The key to developing a taste for something is consistency and an open mind.

Now that that's out of the way, let me rant a bit. People who actively refuse to eat a type of food disappoint me. Maybe it's the parents fault for making their kids eat a variety of food, or maybe they fucked up by forcing them too hard. Either way, keeping an open mind is part of the fun of being an adult.

I used to have a rule where I would try anything once. Now, I don't have that rule. Even if a type of food isn't my favorite, I'll still eat it with no complaints.

>*maybe it's the parents fault for NOT making them eat a variety of food

Fixed that.

Raw fish actually tastes the least fishy. Salmon and tuna are very safe choices, same with yellowtail.

Mahi mahi is delicious, and not too fishy. Give it a shot op.

fried clams are mostly breading and have almost no fish flavor, squeeze with some lemon, or dunk into some kind of dip and you just enjoyed a nice slightly chewier tempura veggie

conch fritters, and (bad) crab cakes are usually more breading than meat, but if they're high end not only will they be fresh but more meat than breading. Win some, lose some.

ceviche has more of a lime juice and pickled pepper flavor

blackened grouper, halibut or dolphin tends to be very white meat and light tasting fish, and blackening is thyme-heavy, and paprika rich, along with that cayenne heat. Usually has a nice tartar or remoulade to further that along.

There are veggie filled sushi, cucumber wrapped sushi, and some americanized fusion sushi that feature cuban pork and plantains, mango, or cream cheese and such. Look around for a restaurant that does some interesting sushi, and realize the nori seaweed wrap is slightly fishy but in a refreshing way. Slather on some soy and wasabi, or ginger, and it's hidden too. You'll get used to it a little at a time. Sip the beer, gnosh on the edamame, crunch a tempura yam, and then try another bite.

Eventually the little fishy flavor you get with the above won't be as squirmy.

>Mussels for instance
Oh oh oh. Mussels are flavorless. Try a moules frites restaurant, some are tomato broth, wine and garlic, even thai coconut curry. Sop up the juice with bread. Get good and drunk first on some beer.

Anything deep fried

Seabass, monkfish, and scallops.

I also live in Florida, I have since I was a kid and have been eating seafood the whole time. First of all, fuck your not wanting to eat shellfish, that's exactly what you're asking for in terms of entry level seafood that is mild. Shrimp is something fairly cheap and there are so many different ways to cook it, try getting some rock shrimp and some sort of fish at a seafood market. For the fish, see if they have either mahi mahi, redfish, flounder, or cobia. Any of those types of fish you should fry until you get a taste for it, and make sure you buy actual Louisiana style fish fry instead of using flour, and don't use egg to make it stick to it like you would with chicken the fish fry will stick to it on its own. You can cook the shrimp however you want, grill it, bake it, fry it, sautée it, boil it with boil in a bag, it really doesn't matter, it's good every way but my favorites are grilling it on kebabs, or sautéing it in lemon juice with whatever seasonings you want. After that if you actually have the money to eat that shit regularly (it's expensive as fuck, even if you buy it and cook it yourself) then you should keep going back and trying more and more stuff. Scallops, crab legs, oysters if you can stomach them, calamari, more flavorful fish like wahoo, kingfish, sea bass, red snapper, Atlantic spadefish, and tilefish. And don't listen to anyone that tells you shark is anything special, it's not necessarily bad but I'd take even something like cold water catfish over shark any day.