I'm convinced it's impossible for someone to learn math when they don't notice any problems with much beyond basic...

I'm convinced it's impossible for someone to learn math when they don't notice any problems with much beyond basic algebra... namely myself.

I look at algebra, and calculus, and see how they solve problems, but it seems to me that there really isn't anything else to know. Even the most basic of courses in other fields like set theory or Galois theory just leave me wondering how you can, for example, assume something as outlandish as the ex falso quodlibet law of logic systems is true and say that this actually has any bearing on reality.

Taking even the most basic courses on things like abelian groups just leave me totally puzzled. I think I have Mathematically Abstract and Conceptual Dyscalculia, MACD, totally separate from normal dyscalculia which can't understand basic algebra.

Want to know how bad it is? I've spent the past 12 hours trying to piece together what is trying to be done and why they work onward from 9:30 in this video:
youtube.com/watch?v=cxNq-hQwvn0

TWELVE hours. Twelve.

Anyone else with this problem? How do I change my perspective on these things?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=fYSiTa3xyZc
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Can anyone honestly say that the newest stuff written on the board at around 14:00 really does anything? Those are some bizarre problem setups and methodologies.

If you haven't figured out what later math could be for, that is the entire problem. You're not going to figure out "the point" from watching a simple and limited overview of the resulting math. Good professors will help with that, but you really need to read and get a grasp on the kinds of problems that can't be solved with algebra and calculus.

Math should be taught in an historical context.

Why did we invent numbers ? What problems math solved at that time, and why did it evolves toward more complex structures. What bothered Newton when he discovered this, why he did that etc... What's the point of topology, when was it formalized, for what purpose, what was the problem (be it practical or purely conceptual), when did it become useful etc, etc...

But no... Every single math course start like " be 'x' a meme variable from the subset of the polynoïde-dodecadrons, be 'f' a meta-monoïd function and f(x) the projection by 'f' of 'x' in a 8-dimensional Goldberg-Ramasudratkumar-Yastarov space, so according to the principle of Pierre-Marie LeFrench 'x' will tend to fuck your mom harder and harder has it goes deeper in the GRY space and fuck your shit, ARE YOU LISTENING TO ME ?! I'M EXPLAINING THE ZORG THEOREM TO YOU!"

I never liked math anyway. It's for tired people that drink too much coffee.

t. Botanist

Except everybody feels the same way you do, and so most courses do attempt to give some historical context and motivation for ideas.

Meh... I don't recall this; as far as I can remember math teachers just told us we were stupid monkies.

Public highschool/community college?

mmm yes

What's wrong with public highschool?

Subpar education that leaves you unprepared for higher level studies.

Nothing is wrong with public highschool, just don't expect good lectures. I'm not exactly preaching the wonders of private school, but suggesting that you need to get to higher education before the institute in question actually pays attention to the quality of their professors. And unfortunately, in my experience, community college is about halfway between the two.

Could you have said it any better?

>twelve hours watching wildburger

epic.

The saddest fact about life for me is that I have the absolute, hardcore dedication needed to make great discoveries and developments, but I lack the intelligence to even get beyond the basics. If I have the intelligence, my learning speed is so slow that even if I put all my dedication into it, the nonstop re-reading and finding new sources to explain things in a different way would be comparable to a highly intelligent person reading new material once a month, or two. Three?

>"I'm dumb but hard working!"
Beats "smart but lazy" I suppose

Yeah, I take great solace in the fact that if I was bestowed with the intelligence necessary to reach the frontiers of known physics, I would obsess day in and day out about it like every autist that has before me. I played a game called Boggle for 10 years straight with which I spent 8 hours a day playing. I got to a nearly inhuman level of spotting words in 6x6 and 7x7 grids, but I stopped because of how useless and pointless it is.

It's just the circumstances. I got my mother's genes. My good intentions are there, and the qualities which very few have, but dammit my mother gave me her ditz well.

You're feeling sorry for yourself instead of moving forward. It's easy to make excuses. Very few people have the right conditions and the natural affinity to not struggle. Stop lying to yourself that all "highly intelligent" people have the same story as a typical "gifted child" popularized by the media. Most "highly intelligent" people cared enough to push through the challenges. If it looks easy now, it's only because they have invested so much time already.

Stop making excuses for why you can't overcome your stubbornness. Your conscious mind is your barrier here, not your goddamn genes.

us nerds rihgt XD

Can you explain why I've repeated this video about 150 times now over the past 3 months, and certain parts thousands and thousands of times, in an attempt to try to and conceptually piece together every detail such that I understand everything perfectly?
youtube.com/watch?v=fYSiTa3xyZc

The way I think is as follows: If I can't visualize what's going on, what follows is useless. I cannot move on happy if I just take a few vague axioms or effects of math without integrating visually what's going on in terms of how they affect formulas, etc.

Depends on more things than I can list. Depends on what other math you are familiar with already. Depends on what kind of things in that lecture you are having trouble with. Reading textbooks is generally higher priority than lectures, and doing problems becomes more and more required to get an intuition, if you are avoiding those.

Where can I find a pdf of a multitude of questions in every subject and level in that subject in every field of physics and mathematics and another pdf of the answers for them? Does such a thing exist?

I've searched for this, again, many times on Google to no avail.

LOL dude at 9:30 he IS talking about basic algebra. There is no Galois theory being done.
I think you over estimate your ability even in basic algebra if you can't follow the simple steps he's going through.

Totally agree.

The complex numbers never really clicked for me until I read about the historical context in which they were created. People had to extend the number system because the problems which were interesting at the time(solving cubics) called for it.

I've found that GOOD math text books usually address this problem. Maybe they don't give the full historical background, but they build you up to see why a new concept is being introduced.

I wouldn't doubt it! By basic algebra I meant simple y = mx + b crap. and manipulating things around to produce a desired result, whether dividing by something to cancel out on the numerator and dividing the other expressions by this term as well.

I've never seen good all-in-one resources, only attempts that end at highschool-level material. I don't think you're going to get much better than finding textbook recommendations. Self-study is hard, if you have no clue what to start with you might look at university programs for an idea of subject ordering and textbooks.

Nobody in high school ever explicitly told me that pi is ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter. They said a bunch of other shit to explain it but never used those exact simple words. Now I'm retarded.

Try Irodov's Problems on General Physics. I think that you should find the solution to most of the questions online. But beware, some problems are really, really, hard.

>actually has any bearing on reality
>How do I change my perspective on these things?
You weren't doing math to begin with.