Subdermal Magnet Implants

So what does Veeky Forums think of Subdermal magnet implants? I'm considering getting one in my finger but I'm not sure yet.

Other urls found in this thread:

mrisafety.com/SafetyInfoFromList.asp?LSub=44
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Well for one it allows you to feel/sense magnetic/electric fields.

Some guy who had this done to all his fingers recorded his experience in a blog. About a month and a half in his flesh had begun to reject the magnets and he had to have sizable chunks of his fingers removed because of infection.

What happens if you need an MRI? You're fucked.

but why

y'all white people is crazy

>Well for one it allows you to feel/sense magnetic/electric fields.

So does holding a magnet in your hand.

I've read that the magnets are a lot safer and substantially less prone to that these days
I saw somewhere where people had claimed to have MRIs with them in without a problem
I know we are but what are you
That takes the fun out of it, plus I'm broke and wouldn't want to risk damaging a motherboard with a bigger magnet or losing one small enough to be safe

I've work a ring magnet (pic related) on my offhand for a few years. It provides a lot of the same advantages as the subdermal but is easier to remove and you actually get a stronger effect because the magnet is 1: larger and 2: not insulated by your body.

Priceless for identifying/sorting ferrous and nonferrous metals (I work in a machine shop)

Vibrates when near power AC (a couple feet from small tool motors, or on the sidewalk standing below a power pole w/ transformer, or a couple inches from an extension cord)

Allows you to hold screws, small tools, etc without having to grip, and find said parts/tools when they fall on the ground/carpet

Allows you to lock/unlock your phone handsfree (use tasker + the compass magnetometer reading)

I've found to get a good EM "sense" it's important to pick one that fits you not too loose, not too tight so there is room to freely vibrate. I've also never wiped a CC or other card with mine except for a hotel room key once. Recommend not using it on your dominant hand just in case.

People want to call themselves "cyborg," so much that they put magnets under their skin.

Are there any disadvantages of the ring/advantages of an implant

What do you do when the magnet becomes a glorified hunk of metal because it lost its magnetism over the years?

sure.

Ring is a larger magnet so you're more likely to fuck up a swipe card with it (still hard unless intentional though).

Also since they're not shielded by your skin you're more likely to have something pull to them from a little distance away and crack/chip the magnet. However this is balanced against the alternative of pinching that tiny layer of skin instead (and they're much easier to remove and replace)

Stronger magnet being more likely to fuck up a swipe card

Stronger magnet without your skin in the way, easier to chip or crack on impact with something it pulls on

Less incognito and cyborg cred

Just superglue it to your fingernail
Or get a ring like [], fuck

Neodymium magnets take thousands of years to demagnetize based on my research so that shouldn't be a problem but if it did become one I could either replace it or decide that it wasn't as useful as I thought and have it taken out and not put a new one in

remagnetize it with an electromagnet, can be done in-situ

Fucking ow.

MRI's might ruin your week.

My major fear is that being that since it's a bigger magnet that it would harm computers since I have a primarily IT job
Other than the superglue which would make me look retarded those are options I've been considering as well

pussy.

Do either of you have a ring magnet that you'd suggest me to get?

It really depends on many factors. I have a piece of a rifle in my thigh from when a round exploded and blew out the magazine into my lap. That was 25+ years ago and it's never given me a problem. I'm just happy it missed my nuts. It is about the size of a pencil eraser or a bit smaller. I've never had an X-ray of it so I don't even know if it is plastic or metal....

I just tested it with an N52 magnet and it is nonreactive; it is probably plastic. brass, or lead I suppose.

I can't imagine working in a shop with one of those. It's pick up tons of metal from everywhere, point it straight out, and bury it into your skin if you touch them. lol

Magnets don't harm computers unless they're strong enough to harm YOU (and your house.)

or you have a 60 y/o HDD

SuperMagnetMan has epoxy coated rings in standard finger sizes for like $35.

Also, /csg/ if you're not afraid of a little lead and arsenic on your finger

What?
Are you like 12 or something?
You choose 60 year old hdd and not 20 year CRT?

CRTs aren't permanently damaged by magnets, they just require degaussing (or a power cycle).

Unless, again, it's big enough to pull the shit from your walls

>CRTs aren't permanently damaged by magnets

They can be. All it takes is longer duration for weaker magnets. An N52 can seriously fuck up a CRT in a relatively short amount of time. A weak as fuck 150watt electromagnet can fuck with them from a few feet away.

Stupid idea. What are you going to do if you go through an MRI or go through a metal detector.?Handling credit cards (magnetic strip) or electronics is a hassle.

where can i get one of these?

there's like a billlion magnetic rings and gloves online

goddamn it, it's so cheap I'm going to have to get some to play with

its hard to find solid magnet rings, im mostly seeing regular rings with magnets implanted in them.

i've found some hematite rings but i thing what i want is neodymium

If the whole ring was a magnet, where would the poles be? Having 1 magnet would be easier to figure out how to use, maybe even feel.

>What is ferritic iron

Just get a steel ring if you want a magnet

>I'm not meaning to put anyone off from doing it when I say this, but the pain was FUCKING INSANE. I've napped during my 40 hours of tattoo work before, gotten all manner of painful piercings and at least 30 of them over the years and been fine, but holy shit this was something else. I'm thankful that my brain doesn't remember pain all that well, but I did feel the skin actually separate and I can't forget what the felt like. Brian later told me I was kind of a special case though, and required a bit more time with the scalpel in my finger to widen the hole, and when he told me "ok now I'm gonna put the magnet in" I thought I'd already been done. I actually yelled and tried very hard not to thrash or throw him off but god DAMN. Nerve endings are a strange thing that can make a small amount of trauma seem like you're going to die. The body is such a drama queen sometimes. All in all he was probably cutting my finger for closer to 30ish seconds, but that's not to say that's common or an indictment of how incredibly skilled the guy is. I'm just a weirdo.

>The magnet going in was painful but not as bad as the scalpelling because I think, mercifully, my brain went NOPE YOU'VE HAD ENOUGH at this point and my finger started to go numb. I didn't even really feel the single stitch he did at the tip of it to sew it shut, and I laid on the table panting and quietly cursing to myself about the explosion of firing neurons. For some reason my pinkie started to throb. I've never felt anything like that and I seriously don't know how some people get one in each finger after the first.

that file name is all it took to turn me off of it

Im pretty sure what is talking about is a solid neodymium magnet ring

As mentioned previously People who have them say it's not strong enough to mess with credit cards, and people claim it's small enough that metal detectors won't sense it but honestly if it did make one go off I'd just be honest and say I was bored on Veeky Forums and now I have a magnet in my hand and they'd think I'm an idiot but it's not like they'd stop me from entering. As for the MRIs there are people who claim that they aren't a problem but since it's so small if necessary I could have my finger cut and it taken out rather quickly.

I like getting on airplanes.

You want to go through surgery to put a fucking metal inside of you for no reason and the biggest annoyance you can think of is it can damage your motherboard?
What the fuck is wrong with you people?

Cody's Lab on YouTube implanted one in himself and has a video of him doing it. He gold plated a small, rare earth magnet and put it in his ring finger. He said it was cool for a while, he would feel it buzzing and vibrating when he walked past fields. But then it smashed inside his finger one day and started to swell so he had to cut his finger open again and pull out the pieces. Not worth it.

He seems to think it's still worth it since there is still material left in his finger. Nope nope nope.

I was watching the video last night actually and if he had done a silicone/silicon/wetf it is that I'm talking about the magnet pieces would have stayed together even after breaking and he wouldn't have had that problem necessarily

could probably avoid that if you implanted it in the space between your thumb and pointer finger.

honestly if enough force is applied there to break it, its probably the least of your worries

it's not like there's a muscle there or anything

>user goes to have an MRI
>hand instantly gets pulled to the side of the machine and it breaks his arm

Go for it OP

its much better off being in your fingertip than right next to the muscle that makes your thumb work

>So what does Veeky Forums think of Subdermal magnet implants?
I like mine a lot, I implanted it myself and it went pretty well. I felt it after a few months and I never had any complications other than being somewhat annoyed while welding.

>but why
Ever spend a few days in the ER because your mentally retarded coworker flipped all the breakers on while you were installing a breaker box in a garage? I have. It's not fun. Contracting is an amazing way to pay for university during the summer months but holy fuck be prepared to watch the fuck out for Jamal and Jose.

Now I don't even need to touch the wire, I can feel the electromagnetic field around it and it's pretty neat.

>he had to have sizable chunks of his fingers removed because of infection.
Maybe he shouldn't have been a filthy pig? Avoiding infection is exactly this: "be clean and uh, stay that way."

>>hand instantly gets pulled to the side of the machine and it breaks his arm
It's like you guys failed middle-school science class and somehow advanced to the 9th grade. If you're in an MRI machine that's pumping out a field that's strong enough to disastrously affect that tiny, tiny magnet then the attending technician is either trying to kill you or is retarded. I suggest you flee as fast as you can from that hospital because you will surely perish there. I've had two MRIs already, been through metal detectors, I've even boarded an airline all without exploding or suddenly becoming Magneto.

Anyway.

Protip for installing: don't use a box cutter, razor blade, or xacto knife. One of my friends does bushcrafting and primitive survival/camping/playing in the forest and he gave me a very thin obsidian blade he made specifically for the procedure. I have no idea how well a scalpel would have worked but I can say an obsidian blade cut my flesh with ease.

>Maybe he shouldn't have been a filthy pig? Avoiding infection is exactly this: "be clean and uh, stay that way."

>Also pray that the guy CUTTING OPEN YOUR SKIN is clean. And the knife is clean. And the magnet is clean. And the skin is clean so it doesn't contaminate the knife or magnet.

This is the primary reason I haven't looked further into this: Surgery is not minor, even when it is minor. Do not cut your skin open without a good purpose.

these are tiny magnets, some smaller than the rfid chips people already implant in that spot

if you buy the magnet from some place like Dangerousthings they ship it with a sterilizing agent, and if you have it done at any reputable body artist shop they use sterile tools.

>watching a good performance
>clap
>forget my hands are literally magnets
>hands stuck together
Fugggg :DDDD

>I like mine a lot
Retard detected, stopped reading there.

I work with fMRI machines and you are talking bullshit. 7T in my current project

you can feel your feet being pulled to the machine if you have a shoe with 2 metal rings for the cords. Good luck ever getting one with a real magnet in you.

>Surgery is not minor, even when it is minor.
No, but it's not exactly hard to cut down on the chances of infection with a little common sense and, if that fails, there's plenty of resources online.

>I work with fMRI machines and you are talking bullshit.
I highly, highly doubt you "work with" fMRI machines because any competent tech would know an object that small wouldn't be significantly disturbed. I hope you're a liar or you're just shitposting.
>you can feel your feet being pulled to the machine if you have a shoe with 2 metal rings for the cords
Where did I say "I didn't feel anything at all, it was just like normal!!!" I said "disastrously affect" which was in response to this guy saying it will break an arm.

That aside the object in question? Smaller than a grain of uncooked basmati rice, about half the size actually.

>Where did I say "I didn't feel anything at all, it was just like normal!!!" I said "disastrously affect" which was in response to this guy saying it will break an arm.

yeah, you're not getting into the machine. You are right it won't break your arm, but depending on depth of implantation might rip out through your skin or more likely, start tumbling fast, or heat up, leading to damage in the area surrounding it.

No competent mri tech would let you in.

>yeah, you're not getting into the machine
Already did it twice, you do not know what you're talking about.

>You are right it won't break your arm, but depending on depth of implantation might rip out through your skin or more likely, start tumbling fast, or heat up, leading to damage in the area surrounding it.
If it didn't affect the much larger screws in my foot (aside from some heating sensation) then tiny, tiny fucking magnets won't do shit. Did you get your degree online or something?

mrisafety.com/SafetyInfoFromList.asp?LSub=44

More proof you're an idiot, look at all of those metal devices people have in their bodies that can absolutely go into a clinical MRI.

>heat up
I have slivers of cast iron embedded in my right leg as the result of a shop accident, and they burned like hell the instant my MRI started. Almost unbearable pain, and based on OP's photo I would imagine they are much smaller than the subdermal magnets people are getting

those are non-magnetic. you can go in with braces fine. I have plenty of scans done with subjects with a wire behind the teeth,a common dental procedure where i'm from. Just sligtly distorts images around it. Titanium screws are fine as well.

A magnet, or iron? nope. For sure not in the higher T range. 1.5t open bore scanners perhaps.

twice? with a magnet in your finger? What field strength? In what country?

>twice? with a magnet in your finger? What field strength? In what country?
First time was 3T and the second was 1.5T both in the United States, they didn't do anything aside from vibrate like crazy which was uncomfortable but didn't hurt.

The only complication I had was the magnet on my ring finger doesn't do anything anymore, it's completely demagnetized.

did you tell the tech beforehand?
>vibrate like crazy
well, i am happy for you I guess if that was all. Heating caused by fragments can cause serious damage. Spinning will also irritate and damage tissue. Lets just say that my scanning centre will _never_ allow anything like this. I've seen some seriously damaged tissue - red spots from splinters, they require significant care and hurt like hell.

Also, arcing. Never seen it myself, but in the 7t we even ask subjects not to make a loop with their hand (ie making skin contact with their hip) to prevent arcing and minor burns (as well as muscle twitches).

Screws can be another matter, if they are small enough,especially in limbs further away from the center of the field. They are usually embedded pretty strongly into bone, keeping them stable - if heating is not deemed likely. Still requires way more work to be sure.

Are you going to remove/replace the demagnetized magnet?

fucking this

so many autists on this board

In case you're wondering why I needed two MRIs the first time I had gotten in a car crash and my spine was crushed. Second time was when I got kicked in the head by a bronco two years ago.

>did you tell the tech beforehand?
Yes, they initially wanted to do another CT scan for that reason but I guess they decided to go ahead with an MRI.

>Spinning will also irritate and damage tissue.
Actually the magnet is pretty much encased in a ball of callused tissue at this point, I had to replace the magnet on my pinky (and never actually put a new one in) because it had been smashed apart.

>They are usually embedded pretty strongly into bone, keeping them stable
At 3T I felt significant torque in my foot, I opt for CT scans whenever possible because it's very uncomfortable and the heating sensation concerned me.
>Are you going to remove/replace the demagnetized magnet?
Yes, but this time I won't do the procedure myself because it's excessively difficult to do with one hand. Right now it's fine where it is, I'll be fine for now since I have two "good fingers" that do the job well enough.

To make you feel more relaxed I'll flat-out admit I would never get anywhere near a 7T machine, the thought alone makes me uncomfortable.

Well at least now we know why you want to do stupid things.

>Well at least now we know why you want to do stupid things.
If you're referring to the head injury and trying to use it as some ~sick zinger~ I already said that I had the magnets in for that MRI.

>CT scan
ok, that makes more sense. I would feel very uncomfortable, if you could get me to agree at all. I guess the bar is lower for a clinical application.

>torque in 3t
woah, they gave you a screw in your foot that is actually that ferromagnetic? not titanium?

>7t
yeah. 7t is another level. You get a warped feeling of balance just by walking past it. Some people get nauseous just walking toward the bed.

Again, why?

this has already been answered at least a half dozen times in this thread and its twin on DIY.

Identify hot wires from a safe distance
Identify ferrous metals from nonferrous
Feel where underground transformers and substations are buried
Find power wiring in your home's walls

the list goes on....

>I would feel very uncomfortable, if you could get me to agree at all.
I argued that I've handled 2000G NIB magnets without any discomfort and promised to speak up if it got unbearable. Even though she was reluctant the tech eventually agreed, I think she was curious.
>woah, they gave you a screw in your foot that is actually that ferromagnetic? not titanium?
Two stainless steel in my right foot, but I do have a titanium plate (with screws) in my arm as well from the car crash, along with some screws in my jaw. I was hoping for a plate but I guess that wasn't in the cards.

I made the "mistake" of joining in a discussion about injuries one day at my old job, they called me the half a million dollar man until somebody said "that's a lot of benjamins" and that was my nickname. I guess it got a little confusing because people would come to my office looking for "Ben" and since I'm not a suit and tie type they seemed to think I was a miner who had gotten lost.