Things you thought were memes until you tried them

>Brining Chicken

I've wasted so many chickens....

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maillard_reaction
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I've been wondering what Veeky Forums thought about sous vide. Best steak I ever ate was cooked with one of these things.

No you need a hot skillet to seal in the juices and get some charring reactions going

searing doesn't seal in juices and you can sear after you sous vide

Wew lad that's a lotta meme in one post

These baby's, shanghai soup dumplings/xiaolongbao
I thought they sounded like the biggest meme

you sear it afterwards faggot

And yet every professional chef, even 3 michelin star chefs, always say to sear it to seal in the juices. A real chef knows more about cooking than you.

>chefs know the science of cooking better than scientists

wrong again, kiddo. read Harold McGee and maybe you'll learn something

(citation needed)

Every professional chef in the 90s maybe. How did it feel when they unthawed you in 2016? Do you need me to play some backstreet boys to help you acclimatize to the future?

I'm very curious as to what you people think the word 'meme' actually means.
Care to enlighten me?

Not a single chef or cook worth listening to says it seals the juiced.
Many of them will even pre-emptively tell you it doesn't seal shit, just because they're so tired of that old meme.

dumbass

>I'm very curious as to what you people think the word 'meme' actually means.
A meme is a physical manifestation of dank platonic forms.

Those are quite famous, Taiwan is something of a food paradise for their night markets, kind of surprised everyone there isn't fucking fat, but it might be that they walk it all off.

> And yet every professional chef, even 3 michelin star chefs, always say to sear it to seal in the juices. A real chef knows more about cooking than you.

You pre-sear, then sous vide, then final sear

Chilling cookie dough for 24 hours before you bake it. Also browning the butter and then adding it to the mix instead of creaming it into the sugar.

Also adding coffee/espresso powder to chocolate desserts. I was convinced it was going to overpower them and turn the flavor bitter (I hate coffee). I was wrong.

itt: people who thought they knew enough about cooking to ignore professional advice realize they where wrong and share their mistakes.

pic related

I fucking hate people who create meme threads on Veeky Forums.

Cucumber water. Especially peeled cucumbers and water pureed in a blender

>pic related
I love his arched finger home row typing position

Anything that people like and is even slightly popular.

there are plenty of reasons to sear, that's just not one of them, the flavor profiles created by non enzymatic browning being the biggest.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maillard_reaction
I might work in a kitchen too

Did you really just link us to the Maillard reaction's wiki page?

Bouillon cube in spaghetti water
Steak being better when cooked from frozen
Washing rice
Brining fish
Dried basil (this one I found out was actually a meme)

you thought stock was a meme??

You're a fucking idiot, son.

This nigger actually thought he knew better than the majority of the world population for the majority of human history and that rice didnt need to be washed.

Wheh lad. Talk about being a fucking faggot.

>tfw used to live in Shanghai so could eat these glorious memes errday

have you met the mouthbreathers on this board?

a meme is an inside joke for everyone.

Yeah, I did that after the steak took its bath. It helped make it the best steak I've ever eaten.

This is bait, young memer cooking noob has been running around baiting with "sear the meat to seal in the juices" in various threads. He probably just heard Heston mention that (who learned it from McGee years ago).

>going to move to Shanghai for a year with the gf
>I'm going to gain 30 pounds and she's going to leave me because I'm fat

>sear the mat to seal the juices
Good advice. Much easier than saying:
>sear for maillard reaction to convert the chemicals into more appealing flavors that trigger the human tongue, and yet keep the moisture of the muscle from leaking out if using a longer and slower method of heating.

I don't think it's hard to understand

>cook golden brown for yummy flavors

Tell me about your brining procedures

This is the first I'm hearing about this. Sorry how do I was rice? If it's instant do I still need to wash it?

Searing has been proven not to do that; the only purpose is the aforementioned maillard reaction

Meme cuck

steak is a pretty boring use for sous vide. like it's foolproof but the advantages of it over more traditional cooking methods aren't that big.

the best shit i've had out of a sous vide have been porchetta, short ribs and calamari. it's also a pretty chill way of tempering chocolate.

so fucking expensive, yet so desirable

That may be, but it was still the best steak I've ever eaten. When I get my own, I'll use it to cook stuff that's less boring. I was using my former roommate's for the steak.

just do it on the stove top in a big pot of water like chef john, I did a ribeye like that and it came out great. Just turn a heavy pot full of water on low until it comes to temperature. put the steak in a bag and into the water, leave it for at least an hour. sear before or after or both. Don't need to buy any equipment if you already have a thermometer.

I think the word semantic satiation explains it best. The word meme has even been memed so much it became a meme.

Salting pasta water.

The difference is amazing.

Is sifting flour important? I haven't done it since 8th grade cooking class, but I know actual bakers do it, so basically I want to know how significant the taste will change.

Usually the recipe calls for it if you need to sift it. Probably doesn't matter if you're measuring your flour by weight.

can u expand on the butter browning?

Look up "serious eats best chocolate chip cookie" recipe, he uses browned butter and he explains the science behind it

You thought washing rice was a meme? There's a reason why every Japanese, Korean, and Chinese family does that.

Squid cooked sous vide is fucking magical. Especially larger squid like Humboldt.

I've been hesitant to fall for the sous-vide meme for a long time until I moved into a Manhattan apartment. Then I realized how much I missed my dad's smoked BBQ and that's one of the very few things you cannot get here.

I read a bunch of articles and blogs doing brisket, pork butt, and ribs sous vide and comparing them to good BBQ and I've got to say... I think I might have to make the plunge.

While ChefSteps makes everything they look good, every time I see those smug hitler-youth haircut fucks do another "make the most perfect x" recipe and they break out sous vide for something like macaroni and cheese I want to smack them. Learn how to make a fucking sauce in a pan you bums.

You,
Is kind of right. If you're weighing your flour (which you should be) then don't worry unless it tells you otherwise. If you're doing it by volume, you're an idiot and it doesn't fucking matter anyway.

anything involving eggs.. egg yolk jam is so good.

butter poaching fish, making syrups and shit from berries, perfect octopus, many things involving pig skin, short ribs, keeping an ISI canister at whatever temperature you want to keep it at for an entire service, etc.

there are so many applications that the sous vide method has that it's ridiculous that there are kitchens out there that don't have one. it's definitely a meme for home use, but we have two of them at work and use them pretty much daily.

Is there a point to brining chicken breasts if I'm putting them in the slow cooker for chicken soup?

Pelmeni?

not really user
also slow cooker chicken breasts will end up dry no matter what you do if it's for more than at max 4 hours

would that be on low or high

I'm doing them low for 7-8 hours in chicken broth with veg then shredding them. Hopefully they'll not be dry.

Idiot.

>keep the moisture of the muscle from leaking out if using a longer and slower method of heating.

no. this is why 'seal' is wrong. that doesn't happen.

Im a chef and you sear it after you sous vide the juice in the bag is used to make a sauce to finish