Do animals know that sex results in reproduction?

Do animals know that sex results in reproduction?
Do animals realize that bugs are living things?

no. yes.

Really? So it's just a complete surprise to both parents when a baby comes out of the mom?

No, it's completly natural and instinctively. To be surprised you need to make predictions about future and then find them wrong in a peculiar way. Animals usually don't make such predictions, stuff just happens and they respond instinctively to them. Mother "feels" that she is pregnant and will deliver soon but unless she done it before she doesn't realize what that means and what caused that she just do things that seems "right" to her. She doesn't understand cause and effect.

I see. Thanks.

I guess it's just something they accept and roll with, like the rest of phenomena that happen in nature.

Well, some animals have multiple children. So, the second time would be intentional reproduction, right?

>Get fucked
>Takes months to deliver
Do you really think an animal can make the link?

Animals can't think like we do. It does not "realize" a bug or whatever other thing is living because it does not know such a concept.

Animals know that humans are alive, though. Right? Or does it views everything else as mechanical or something like that?

Well, personally I don't belive they would understand that sex caused female to go pregnant. They just wanted sex because of hormones and stuff and did it.

Now, female if it is sufficiently intelligent could atribute feelings of pregnancy to having baby, so she would know what is happening to her. Still I don't think that many animals are intelligent enough to make realization that sex = baby long time after.

Why do you think they have/need concept of alive/"not alive"? This concept is completly unnecessary for them. They need to know if something is dangerous/safe, friendly/hostile, eatable/not eatable. I don't think they would know what even "alive" means.

Thanks.

Then what compels, especially the father, to protect their offspring?

Wrong
Sex probably feels good to at least one of the two mates. So they have sex.

It just happens that sometimes, a few weeks or months later, bibies come out of mommy.
A cat can draw no link between having had sex and having kittens way later.

Since it feels good, they do it again. Mating seasons is just when conditions feel right to the animal, and it pushes them to reproduce.

>Then what compels, especially the father, to protect their offspring?
Some species don't have this. For the ones that do, it's just instincts just like everything else. Probably triggers like a territorial thing, or the need to have a strong and numerous family for territorial control.

Animals are smarter than you think. Ability to speak is not a gauge of intelligence.

Animals are dumber than you think. It's much more than a lack of speech.

Animals are actually capable of human speech. Polish and Gaelic in particular.

Probably, they know to take care of the offspring.

I see. Sounds like it makes sense.

Thanks guys.

Kek

no, animals don't know
no, animals don't realize

Yes
Yes

Maybe
Maybe

Since when was "Animals" a small enough group to make meaningful claims like that about?

A ant probably doesn't know anything it all; It's an incredibly simple organism that reacts directly to stimuli. There are people who can go into great depth about how reproduction works or what species particular bugs are. But both ants and humans are animals.