Hey there, Veeky Forums. I'm a small business owner that makes pharmaceutical products for a local medical company...

Hey there, Veeky Forums. I'm a small business owner that makes pharmaceutical products for a local medical company. I have a shed on my property that I'm thinking about converting to a lab space, so I can do all of my business' chemistry in-house.

Is there anyone on here who's done this before who could give me some advice? Essentially, good vendors for glassware, pumps, ventilation systems, other appliances, and anything else you would have wanted to know before making a home lab.

We'll mainly be doing organic extractions, chromatography, and various methods of purification.

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3481531/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>translation: I want to start a meth/MDMA lab

All you need is a bunch of 24/40 glassware with ground glass joints, a heating mantle, a PTFE diaphragm pump, and of course the reagents

Well, you're not half wrong. We're making bullshit "plant remedies" for a local company that makes supplements, and one of our recent pitches was a high purity CBD tincture.

Unfortunately, we can't do that in a university lab, hence I'm now retrofitting a shed. It's degenerate, but it's on the books and legal, and hey - it's money.

Bumping.

You're a morally bankrupt individual, and I hope you get arrested.

>We're making bullshit "plant remedies"
Please tell me you're charging as much as you can get away with, fuck what this anti-vaxxer says you are doing good work taking advantage of the willfully ignorant.

I give you permission to send me all of the THC left over from your product, friend. I know how difficult it can be ridding yourself of such a wasteful burden.

I'm not going to lie, it's a really good racket.

For a while, I felt cheap for profiting off of gullible "new age" people but the money is good enough that it's actually paying for a decent chunk of my education. I stopped caring.

I was fortunate that there was a "medical" company near my uni that sells supplements and oils for that demographic. I set up a sole prop out of my university's lab where I would make "organic tinctures" for them in apothecary bottles with rustic looking labels slapped on them.

My most profitable tincture to date is called "tincture of butterbur", which is literally just butterbur essential oil that I made by boiling a solution of the raw plant and condensing the fumes. It "cures stress headaches".

This CBD tincture could actually be profitable enough for me to drop out though, which is why I want to spend the time and make this lab right. I've been approached by several investors that would want to bring my product to other distributors if this CBD product goes well. I've been writing the procedure to do this for months.

Bump for interest, I would also like to know so I can also set up my own home laboratory and make boatloads of money off of idiots.

IKA for all lab tech

Sigma aldrich for glassware, chroma, and possibly pumps

Fuck off shill.

employ me. I have a procedure for "organic capsaicin extract", that your hippies will love with a rustic looking apothecary label.

Will it be enough in the way of ventilation to just put an exhaust fan in an open window, or will I need to do more than that?

Depends on the type of organic you want to do.

I would recommend a good portion of your budget goes to good ventilation, not just for safety, but because that shit stink yo.

Well, CBD is one of several very nonpolar compounds in marijuana, which is incredibly stanky by itself.

In effect, we're going to be using lots of various alcohols, hydrocarbons, and marijuana strains to get the best/purest yield. I think I just answered my own question haha.

Any ideas for what we could do for ventilation if we end up retrofitting an existing structure, like my shed?

I actually need CBD you fucking cunt and it's expensive as all hell.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3481531/

Veeky Forums is really pissing me off lately. It's a bunch of kids and assburgers.

I'm not even going to tell you what you want to know because you're such a for-profit faggot.

I'm not inflating the market for your medicine, user. I make food grade plant extracts, oils and tinctures for hippies to put in their vegan soy lattes or their diffusers.

However, this product may actually help you because the procedure I've written is rather cheap and easy to carry out, and it yields a high purity product. After a principle cost of 15k to set up the lab and buy raw materials, it's very accessible.

Also, though this aspect is still under wraps, the resulting tincture (CBD/glycerin) works with a device I've just patented that shifts the locus of control for drug treatment entirely into the hands of the end-user. I'm talking about an aerosolized drug-delivery device that uses a proprietary method to deliver the user the exact dosage he/she wishes to consume - to the microgram. That's what the investors are excited about, I think. You may have one of my products in your hand by the end of 2016 if everything goes right.

Why are you so resentful, user? Why would you get angry at me for riding the wave of new age medicine to make a buck to work on projects I actually care about? Are you possibly mad that I'm making a good deal of money as my own boss, while you're either still in school or employed at some wageslave think tank?

I hope things turn out better for you.

>For a while, I felt cheap for profiting off of gullible "new age
I read that that you profited off of them. I've been on the computer all day every day for a while now and I can't easily get a job because no experience. The machine sucks ass.

Extract CBD from hemp. Very cheap source. Weed is best to turn into a concentrate or sell as weed due to the price.

What state are you in?

Duly noted. I didn't even think about that. Thanks for the advice.

If you tweak the procedure a little bit (use a different mobile stage during chromatography), it can be modified to yield high purity THCA(D9) from marijuana, but I'm not familiar with the specifics of that market. I may do that iif my state makes a move to legalize.

Rather not say because it'll give away where I go to university. I live in a decriminalized, but nonlegal state for marijuana.

Do you need a webdesigner?

Maybe. I'm taking the device I mentioned here to market under a different company. That project is a lot more technical than making essential oils, so I'm in the process of assembling a team.

And more importantly for you, we still need a website. What's your rate and turnover time?

Bump

just make indole or sassafrole and sell to groups.

Bumping for interest. You're smart OP, especially if you're in the state I think you're in, where medical marijuana is still taking its baby steps.

Get in on the ground floor, and you'll get rich.

I met someone who did this. Ran a small souveneir shop for visiting scientists for fun, ran an analytical chem lab for profit all in house.

One might argue that the marketing of your botanical products as treatments for certain health conditions makes them "drugs" under the meaning of the federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act. If you ever want to expand your business you should probably talk to a lawyer if you haven't already.

But I've never marketed my organic plant extracts as drugs. They just allow the organically minded consumer to expand their arsenal of home remedies they may or may not use to treat headaches, colds and minor pains!

In short, I already have talked to a lawyer. A solid business plan is a legally sound business plan from day one - whether it's legally binding employment contracts, NDA's, IP, etc.

>boiling solution and condensing the vapors
so steam distillation? or are you using a different solvent for the non-polar groups

Sorry for the confusion. I realized afterwards that "solution" is a misrepresentation of the process, and I was hoping nobody would catch me on it.

It's a straightforward steam distillation, except the plant matter is ground into a fine powder, and placed inside a basket, which sits inside of a heated flask filled with water.

The steam passes through the solid plant matter, through the condenser, and accumulated in the collection flask. In the case of butterbur, it makes a tan coloured hydrophobic liquid that smells vaguely of nuts and anise. In this case, it isn't strictly a tincture, but I sell it under that name anyways.

OP are you trying to make street drugs for dealers?

If you had read the thread, you'd know that all my business is over the table and legal.

With your butterbur tincture, does your process ensure the minimisation of Pyrrolizidine alkaloid contamination? Just saying because otherwise you could have a lawsuit if one of your customers develops liver cancer.