Japanese Curry

So Veeky Forums, from time to time i make Japanese-style curry/Kare Raisu or whatever you want to call it. I use those Golden Curry bouillon things. I'm having a problem though, recently i've had to cook for 7-9 grown men and since i have to make a LOT of curry it's getting pretty watered down. Any tips for making it thicker? Something like pic related

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YC7yPKzlL3E
seriouseats.com/2010/06/taste-test-japanese-curry-roux-mixes-golden-torukero-vermont-java-kokumaro.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Use more blocks of curry. If it's too watery, let it simmer longer to reduce/thicken.

Well i'm already using like 8-9 blocks but i guess simmering longer works.

You should be using whatever the package says to use for liquid.

But maybe you aren't sauteeing carrots, onions, mushrooms long enough to render some of their liquid.

I think if you're cooking for that many people, you should try making your own roux, own curry, own recipe.

I guess this is as good of a thread as any to ask this, is this recipe good? youtube.com/watch?v=YC7yPKzlL3E It looks good but also looks like it could be a little overcomplicated

mix starch/flour with water/milk, pour it in while stirring.

or add some dehydrated potatoes.

Not sure how this got so popular in Japan. It's British under-spiced goop version of Indian curry. literally every other curry from whatever cuisine is better.

it looks like a car crash with the red wine and apple but the japanese mix up ingredients from different cuisines all the time and i am far from an expert so who knows. also that is a pretty tiny quantity of milk, not sure what the point of that is. and just putting raw mushrooms straight into a stew always triggers me

It doesn't have to be very spicy to be good.

it has its own place. i'm completely obsessed with all kinds of curry and i would still choose the nip stuff every once in a while.

What is your favorite curry type?

Good Indian or Thai curry for sure.

The problem is that so many other Japanese dishes are amazing that I'll never pick the curry over those, or any other nationality curry.

My biggest problem with nip curry is they always hype it up so much in my chinese cartoons, and often even make it out to be super spicy (which I guess it could be if homemade - but when the "extra hot" cubes are the only ones with even the faintest amount of heat I doubt it it).

I got a tonkatsu curry special at the Mitsuwa food court not too long ago and it was one of the blandest things I've had in a long time.

Spicy is relative.

>Good Indian or Thai

Yeah no shit, WHICH kind of curry? There's more than one type of curry dish.

theyre all just chunks of meat and vegetables that the chef does diarrhea on.

Any Stir Fried Thai curry, although I prefer green. For Indian I like Do Piaza

There are people who say tabasco and sriracha isn't spicy. Japanese curry isn't spicy in the same way that bell peppers aren't spicy.

Yes it's relative, but it really isn't THAT relative. The vast majority of people know what's spicy and what's not, some people just have a much higher tolerance and/or enjoy it more.

Get cornflour and mix with water in separate small dish, whisk for a milky consistency. Add this to the curry bits at a time near end of cooking. You may have to experiment with ratio to work out best thickness for your dish. Trial and error for final result.

The vast majority of your post needs citations.

i use to like it, but once you have indian curries, you can't go back to the jap block curry crap

bollocks. they're such different things, just because they have the same name doesn't mean it's appropriate to compare them like that. you might as well saåy 'once you try curry you can't go back to fish and chips'.

meant for

Have you tried cooking with dog's curry recipes? They're lit.

those blocks have such a processed taste to them,

What does that even mean?

>processed taste

kill yourself.

>Obligatory "topic of thread isn't good, my variation is better" post

Blessed be this day, the Lord of all curry has enlightend us

Now that you're done with your little show, leave.

doesn't taste nearly as good as made from scratch

no shit. do you think we actually think curry blocks are the best possible type of curry? it's convenience food. are you gonna tell us hamburger helper isn't as good as an authentic ragu bolognese next?

Next time just say "I don't like curry blocks".

i don't

Almost. Keep trying, you'll get the hang of it.

Someone give me a good Indian or Thay curry recipe, preferably spicy

but people will say they love jap curry more than they say they love habooger helper

fuck off, i lived in your shit country for two years.

some will, and i personally like it more as well, but i don't see how that means anyone thinks it's top tier cuisine.

They eat eggs with rice and ketchup and noodles sandwiched between bread, curry is the least of their problems

throw some beef, shrimp and crushed red pepper into a bowl and do diarrhea on it.

I prefer the S&B brand of curry, but holy shit home made tonkatsu is great. I'm also super lazy and microwave my carrots/use canned potatoes so I don't have to boil it forever, I just cut the water percentage and it's ready in no time.

>Kare Raisu

haha not even close you fucking weab

カレ ライス
ka re ra i su

Add some dashi, curry, sugar, grated apple and dissolved cornstarch. If you leave out the cubes that's actually a way to make low-fat Japanese curry because those cubes contain mostly that plus fat.

>Mitsuwa
My flyover friend

>I got a tonkatsu curry special at the Mitsuwa food court not too long ago and it was one of the blandest things I've had in a long time.
Japanese food is bland. /thread

>If you leave out the cubes that's actually a way to make low-fat Japanese curry
Do you know what a roux is? If you're just going to cornstarch thicken your "curry" then it's really a different beast. Roux is supposed to be 50/50 fat/flour, because of their need to bind with each other. Your basic sugar, dashi and grated apple isn't near enough to approximate some of the ingredients in mixes, though I'm sure you like you.

seriouseats.com/2010/06/taste-test-japanese-curry-roux-mixes-golden-torukero-vermont-java-kokumaro.html

It's actually カレー

Eh, I don't think so. I've tried Indian curry and that is just way too strong at times. I actually enjoy Japanese curry more. Then again, my favorite curry is Philippino Curry, because it's sweet and milky.

Don't Mitsuwas exist on coastal states?

Nah, we got them in West LA

cook it for longer, that's the only way to make it thicker, otherwise add oil

that's not the only way to make it thicker.

also adding oil will not help.

Beurre manie

>add oil