2 yrs ago

>2 yrs ago
want to get a STEM BS/MS degree
you will become:
>a lab monkey (SCIENCE)
coding in some backwater ass language
"Did you clean this shit up? Finish running trials?...Damn it user, wash your hands and do it over again. Don't fuck up my matrix"
>a survey monkey / dilbert
measuring constraints with shitty scripts and excel
>not actually designing anything
"No, we have designers for that user, we just need to know if this joint can handle this much stress, we'll change everything up and let you check our work :^)"
>a code monkey (CS)
coding shitty java apps
"user, I need high performance Java code :^). We just got info from our engineers. I know its possible to make this joint move further without stress, so can you fix the kinematics? Also, it needs be able to gallop sideways because meme lol."

>You finally see the light
>The "PASSION" meme is bullshit
>switch from AE to CS
>2016
>graduating

>Intel HPC now
fuck bitches get money

If you are not going into academia, why does PASSION mean anything to you Veeky Forums?
You'll become someone else's bitch, with little freedom, and little claim to the work you've done in industry any way you choose.
Why not go the highest paying route/the one with the highest job mobility? I mean, playing with Eigen for a few years isn't as bad as not being paid at all / less than an HVAC as a non-phd scientist or getting capped early on. The majority of people being appointed to higher positions are typically CS or non-niche engineers.
Why did you choose something other than CS?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endowment_effect
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

This post reads like severe course-taker's guilt.

>being scared of aero

So basically you were too much of a bitch to get through Aerospace Engineering and you switched to an easier degree like Computer Science.

i really don't see what the point of this thread is.

>you were too much of a bitch to get through Aerospace Engineering and you switched to an easier degree like Computer Science.
I'd be a bitch either way, but I'd rather be a gold digging bitch than a free slut who follows the PASSION meme.

>easier
Hohoho, I actually thought that too.
And fuck I was wrong, considering modeling and AI classes exist at any half decent program.

The thread warrants an explanation for the merit of not taking up a CS degree or applying for a PhD in your field.
If you are going to industry, I'd like to know why people aren't going after the most lucrative option. Is it the fear of a bubble? Social pressure?

In my case, it was honestly social pressure from my dad being an engineer. I used to play in inventor, make RC shit etc. for fun in HS, in college I only touched CAD software or attempted to design anything physical and actually ended up programming after taking an intro course, and liked it (even making bitcoin apps). when I decided to switch, I took note of this. Also internships and a few matlab classes(which ended up being easy as fuck because I picked up python), I realized I'd be doing similar shit, except I'd hate it

Just kill yourself. You're clearly not going to be happy with anything in life.

This. There's only one way out, user. And I know you know this.

>Laughing at OP for getting more money with less work

hi OP

>money
>CS

Way too much bullshit to go through now unless you're operating your own business. Aside from the fact that most jobs are outsourceable, the few jobs that demand talent are extremely competitive, to the point where you're not going to be working in them past 50 because "old people" are a liability now (unless you're in management).

As usual, if all you care about is making bank then getting a unionized job and playing the stock market is the best bet.

CS itself is easier than engineering, if only because CS grads don't have to get licensed. But it also means greater competition. I, an EE grad, can do 90% of the jobs CS majors do. The 10% I can't do, are done by people who are more statisticians and mathematicians than programmers.

>licensing
I'm mad this is becoming a thing now
Its understandable for a subset of engineering jobs(not entire disciplines)
I thought guilds ended in medieval times

> I, an EE grad, can do 90% of the jobs CS majors do.
True, I'm really thinking this is why machine learning/simulation/num anal is being shoved down my throat for no apparent reason in the curriculum
There are a high number of CS+CEE/EE grads for some reason, don't understand the point in
double majoring

what the hell is this PASSION thing you keep going on about

alternative:
>work AE, IF I get a job (which prospects are actually pretty high at my school) which is guaranteed to be in a select area (there are local areas, sure, but not many options)
>5 years pass
>salary stays the same for the next decade or two
>if I'm lucky I get a bump and cap off at 110k-130k
I could get my AE degree still(tacking on year including summer)

but
>dat pay
>dat bonus
I'd be stupid as fuck to lose 20-40k salary when I could play with matrices and run redundant performance test and be rewarded the same as a seasoned engineer as a fresh grad.

>>licensing
don't worry, it's still only a thing for civil engineers and companies stuck in the 40s

Some variant of "I love engineering, I always used to fix my brothers bike, that's why I'm willing to be an engineer for the rest of my life"
Wherein the person has no actual interest in becoming an applied physicist / mathemetician or PhD engineering researcher but claims to love the profession for the sake of it.
Dunno if I explained it well enough to understand, but there are people like this. I was kind of one of these people, but I managed to make the distinction of designing shit for yourself and being someone's lackey after a few internships.

I'm content with the 65k salary I just accepted as an engineer for nano-composites as a physics major with still another year to go. That's why I didn't choose CS OP

PE's are required if you want to run a job as you'd be the person signing off on things. It's not an easy thing to get, and it requires at least 4-5 years experience. Which is why it's a mid/late career thing and thus totally unknown at most tech companies (as most aren't even 20 years old).

user, welcome to godhood

Hi, that's not me

>unhappy/remorseful
not seeing your logic here, but here's mine
>land a lucrative job with a well known tech giant
>actual 6 figures starting meme is reality
>wonders why others don't opt out of less lucrative routes after seeing benefits

lets make an analogy
>be fisherman on pond with other fisherman
>decide to go to another pond
>HUGE catches
>go to the other fishermen
>"Hey guys, why don't you fish at this pond, there are way better catches here"
"I like the scenery here better, i didn't come here to fish"
>"Why didn't you just go hiking(physics etc)"
>muh passion

"I'll have enough fish and be happy here"
fair enough, epicureans

"You just wanted to go to that pond because its easier to fish at, you don't even get snagged on the rocks there!"
>muh elitism
>muh difficulty
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endowment_effect
"You've got to be unhappy over there to tell us about it"

pic related

granted if your plan is to eventually own a firm this becomes a somewhat moot point

nope. People can sign whatever the hell they want and you can be damn sure the CEOs of Apple, Google, Microsoft don't have a PE license.

Only civil engineering, and mechanical engineers who are working for civil engineers. Among these, only very old-styled companies which would expectyou to work 80hr/week for shit pay anyway.

In 20 more years it'll be completely gone. If a [current year] company asks for PE on their job listings, RUN AWAY

mid/late career for baby boomers because their mid/late career was in the 80s 90s and 00s

not mid/late career for this user because that'll be 2050+ and these licenses won't even exist anymore

it it nothing but a waste of time and moneygrubbing scam by the agencies in control desperately clinging to outdated ideals

>>wonders why others don't opt out of less lucrative routes after seeing benefits
They have low self esteem therefore feel the need to "prove themselves" by doing something "prestigious" and "challenging" in the eyes of society. It's why many people would rather be a lawyer for £30k rather than sweep the street for 50 if that choice was offered to them. For many people their career isn't jsut about the money it's about validation and an ego boost. STEM is a shit career choice, its competitive, the work is hard as fuck and repetitive yet the salary isn't much better than the upper end of trades. But thousands happily do it because they get to jack off over their "superior intellect"

yes but being a CEO requires being a good business administrator as well as having exceptional people skills. I didn't claim PEs were the only way to make money, but it's the only way to make solid money without going full jew mode. PEs also aren't asked on most job listings since they're made in house. For example, Bechtel.

It depends heavily on where you want to work though. If you just want to work for a company for your entire life and get a pension, then PEs are still the best route if you can do it.

PEs will always be required for top jobs because of tort laws and liability shit. It's a quality control measure. Not every company requires them (I'm not claiming they are) but if your field has one then it's the next logical step after obtaining a decade or so of experience.

Larry Page has a BS in engineering
Microsoft and Apple are undoubtedly shit companies