PICKLES

I made pickles!

Other urls found in this thread:

nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_06/quick_dill_pickles.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I processed four jars and the rest are fridge pickles.

Here are the results. The left jars are the ones I processed. One of the quart jars is the end chunks. What do you do with those? I suppose I could use them to make relish but I'm not a big fan of that. I also stuffed the claussen jar from the second photo full of them. I figured why not try reusing their brine.

Oh well done OP.
Will the brine be enough to prevent spoiling? How does that work

the real question is
are they gonna be good though

I'm honestly not too sure how it works. It's vinegar. I just stuck with the difference between a couple of copycat claussen recipes. I looked at the ratios of salt, vinegar, and water and they were similar to the recipe the usda recommends for pickles here. nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_06/quick_dill_pickles.html

The processed pickles were boiled for 10 minutes in a water bath as per usda instructions. They should be fine on the shelf since they were processed. The fridge pickles are going to sit out for 3 or 4 days and then they will be put in the fridge.

I went with this recipe + some whole peppercorns and red pepper flakes. I put the dill and garlic in the jars first and didn't boil that stuff with the brine.

I only just started canning recently. I made some chili last week. How long should I let the boiled pickles set before I try them out? I read 4 days minimum for the fridge pickles, but I'll probably wait closer to a week.

Did somebody say Pickles?

Did you use The Best Pickle Seasoning You Will Ever Taste™?

Boil your containers, boil your brine, pour boiling brine straight onto your veg in their jars. If you want them to last a couple weeks/a month or two, you're done there. If you want them to last longer, boil your sealed jars for a little bit, the only downside is you'll "cook" your pickles a bit more. You want to hear your lids pop to ensure that it creates a good seal.

It depends on what kind of brine you used really, and up to personal preference. I'd normally say 48 hours minimum, but the batch I made the other day was tasting great in just 24. The longer the better normally.

Anybody else love watermelon pickles?

WHY IS THAT THAT COLOR Veeky Forums? HOW DOES HE FUCK UP EVERYTHING HE TOUCHES?

>Anybody else love watermelon pickles?
Adore them! My grandmother made them, and gifted me each Christmas on the relish tray. They were close to bread and butter pickle brine.

Do you think they'd benefit from a touch of sweetness?

Hey, my cukes are coming in. What can I make with these that aren't' pickles?

(Sliced thin with taijin seasoning has already been taken)

cucumber salad
or a homemade fleshlight

I like using pickle juice to brine chicken

Did you touch your cooch before making them?

you can make tarator and tzatziki

why would you do this.There are many great pickle brands to choose from you surely did not need to make your own for double the cost of a jar at the store

accomplishing something maybe

The Best Sense Of Accomplishment You Will Ever Feel™.

I make my own pickles for several reasons:

1) it's fun
2) it costs less than buying them pre-made
3) My pickles have a better texture than store-bought:

Most store-bought pickles are cooked as part of the bottling process. That's how they can sit on the shelf of the market refrigerated--the contents were packed into the jars boiling hot and then the jars are closed. The downside is that the cooking process makes the pickles mushy. OTOH if you make the pickles with cold vinegar then they stay crisp like a raw cucumber.

4) I can adjust the seasoning exactly the way that I want.

Good work, OP. Homemade pickles are delicious and cheap. Next time make your traditional pickle, but add lots of crushed red pepper flakes and instead of cucumbers use baby carrots. Never tried processing them, but they make excellent fridge pickles.

>gifted me each Christmas
If they're what I'm thinking of, then my Ma used to make these all the time. Overripe cucumbers (the big ones you see at farmer's markets sometimes), cloves, maraschino cherries. They turned a super vibrant reddish-pink. Getting nostalgic just thinking about them.

Hmm. I'd like to try to make pickles with the seeds taken out.
I don't particularly like that part

is making pickles as dangerous as homemade canning? Like is botulism an issue here or are pickles safe

>I made pickles!

No you didnt.

PICKLES?!

>dried onion
>industrial quality vinegar and salt

I just hope you like eating them.

Otherwise you're in a bit of a pickle :^)

what do you think you're doing user

Wtf is wrong with that brine?
What did he do this time?

I thought I was shitposting on the cooking section of a New-Zealandish sheepshearing newsletter.

I just hope I wasn't wrong :(

You're right. Why do anything for your self? Why do anything at all?...

Why not just kill ourselves so we never have to do anything ever again?

>pickle's
pickles can't own anything

>pickle's

it's the pickle's jar

>pickles

Canning isn't dangerous as long as you follow all of the guidelines and don't fuck up your pressure canner. I'm canning chili right now.

Making pickles is pretty safe. Vinegar will kill off basically everything and if you process them in a water bath they're fine.

lmao pickled jenk

>canning chili
>beans

you have fucked up now

enjoy your botulinum

Acid prevents bacterial growth.

maybe he put some tasty miso in the water. better then msg at least.

you're doing god's work user. bless you.

Most botulism comes from canned tomatoes that haven't been processed properly in a water bath. It's nearly impossible to have botulism in pressure canned food if you do things properly.

Can your jars even compete?

I've been pickling alot lately. It's kind of fun tweaking the brine recipe.

>I ruined cucumbers!