I got friends vacationing in Hawaii...

I got friends vacationing in Hawaii. Is there anything non perishable I should ask them to get me that wouldn't be easily obtainable in the mainland?

Other urls found in this thread:

snackhawaii.com/collections/cracked-seed
avantishirts.com/collections/vintage/Mens
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Ceviche

I'm going to be vacationing there too and am curious.

I know my lawyer goes often and brings back coffee beans.

Macadamia nuts, coconut water and Kona coffe

Coffee

Poi balls, a grass skirt with a coconut shell bra.

On Oahu, there is a macadamia nut farm that sells chocolate covered macadamia nuts in 2-gallon jars. They have other stuff too. Most of the pineapple you eat is already grown in Hawaii, but Hawaii is where they sell the most misshapen ones.

Get some taro/luau leaves (make squid luau and lau lau), a musubi mold, and some cheap tabis for hiking (pic related, it's tabis). If it's good friends tell them to get you a nice Hawaiian shirt, too, and maybe some real surf shorts, not that embarrassing crap they sell on the mainland. All the touristy foods you can pretty much find on the mainland (coffee, macadamia nuts, etc.) for marginally more. You could ask them to pick up a variety of crack seed shit for you to try, or at least a few different bags of li hing mui and li hing mui flavored candy (which is sold in regular grocery stores, and is hard to find on the mainland).

A big sack of Maui Wowie

No. there is literally nothing native to hawaii that isn't vastly inferior to mainland goods. before white people came they lived on root mush and fish, user, and all the fish are gone now

Chocolate covered macadamia nuts.

Calm down, Thurgood Jenkins

>he thinks the contemporary local population and culture of hawaii has much of anything to do with native hawaiians

Confirmed for not knowing shit.

Ha. He's a fucking janitor.

Spam.

Poi can no longer be exported due to the plant almost being extinct.

If that weren't already the dumbest thing I've ever heard, you do realize that poi balls are completely different from poi, right?

macademedium nuts, coffee beans. shit like that

>poi

taro is in no way going extinct, and you can get it anywhere

>I got friends vacationing in Hawaii. Is there anything non perishable I should ask them to get me that wouldn't be easily obtainable in the mainland?
Not really, user.

But, they do have some greater selection of Hawaiian snack foods that are very pacific rim asian items, like dried plum candies, fish jerky, chewy shredded cuttlefish. But, you can get almost anything online.

Unless they are very good friends that asked you, don't ask them to bring you anything, imho. I'm a frequent traveler. Ever since 911, I don't really bring stuff back anymore. I used to fill up bags with local booze, a bottle a friend. Too inconvenient now. I guess if they visit a kona farm and got fresh roasted...but otherwise everything in hawaii is a tourist priced ripoff, and cheaper at home like from amazon. There's a drink mix version of their fruit punch, forget what it's called but they serve it on the airlines. Get some ideas here:
snackhawaii.com/collections/cracked-seed

Oh, clothingwise, you give them $100, they could get you a silk tropical shirt from one of the bigger names there. It'd be a lifetime purchase if it were silk. HiloHatties for women was the source for a real muumuu (but now a crap brand featuring rayon). Examples of someone still doing it right:
avantishirts.com/collections/vintage/Mens

Are you a coffee drinker? Alcoholic? Decent gifts are coffee mugs you can enjoy daily, or shot glasses to add to your collection (tiki one?). Just ask for something "unusual." I collect cookbooks of local fame, which are often vanity published, and not on amazon. Even a 2nd hand bookstore are treasures from old now closed restaurants (trader vics), historical hotels, local junior leagues, and stuff.

As a former Hawaii user who's looked into Hawaiian snack import sites like your snackhawaii, they are much more expensive than buying on island. It's also kind of special when a friend picks up a gift especially for you...

Spam

If you're into psychedelics Hawaiian baby woodrose seeds and mimosa root bark

One macadamia product that I've found bizarrely difficult to purchase outside of Hawaii is honey roasted macadamias. They're also the most delicious. Ask for a bag.