Anyone else love fried catfish?

Anyone else love fried catfish?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gadidae
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

catfish tastes like shit

It's pretty much the best thing ever.

It's awesome, but best made at home. Too many places now use swai and basa and charge you for American Catfish. Taste and texture are totally different.

lately I've been making catfish almondine.

I really want to try it but I don't live in the south so it hardly comes up anywhere, even in asian grocery stores.

no op you are the only person in all of the uk who likes catfish.

ayy i just had fried catfish with tabasco and lemon shit was delicious

[spoiler] wish they had habenero

fuck yes.

Flyover here. It's the only fish I can get that isn't previously frozen. So of course I do.

Shut your mouth before I fuck it

Central KY here, close to the river. Not crazy about it, but ours is probably mildly poisoned.

Work on your breading OP. Egg wash then cornmeal+flour mixture. You'll get a better breading.

Moving to suburban virginia soon, will be striking distance to the good fishing in the south, catfish is the big prize there.

Tell me everything you know...

They like to hide in the shade near the bank, and enjoy smelly cheese bait. Just walk up quietly, and slip your line into the water.

There are only two other dishes at Cracker Barrel that are acceptable when I'm meeting up with family there. It's the country-fried steak, grille chicken tenders, and catfish sandwich.

Catfish really lends itself to frying quite well. Impressive for a bottom-feeder.

>Moving to suburban virginia soon, will be striking distance to the good fishing in the south, catfish is the big prize there.
Google "noodling" videos.

Yes

I do, but it's best when you catch the fish yourself.

And make it into dinner at home.

No. Catfish is garbage

appaloosa?

Bullhead

Ugh, catfish is the absolute lowest tier in fish. There's a reason why "bottom feeders" carries meaning beyond talking about fish.
I'm all for low cost food without being pretentious, but catfish literally tastes bad, and has bad texture. There are no redeeming qualities. Its bad, and its bad.

People will actually eat a whole green bell pepper?

I mean, good on you, seems healthy, but that seems just so unappetizing.

Was going to mention this. WTF guy? Throw some onion in on it too or something.

I'm a graduate student, so I often grow/forage/catch my dinner to offset grocery costs. I usually try to eat healthy.

Just seems like the design of your dish is very unappealing. Say I have potato, chicken (if that's what the meat is), and green bell pepper; I would dice the pepper, dice and season the chicken, dice the potato and par-boil, then fry it all together as a nice type of scrambler (for lack of a better word).

OK

Just did, looks crazy fun. I'd like to do some regular fishing first though.

What do you think of this recipe?

>egg wash
>pork rinds crumbled
>fried in lard

Would work? Can I add in some other starch to make it stick better, would that hold? I am trying to avoid using grain, like wheat, rice, corn...

>the design of your dish
It's just a simple dinner

It doesn't taste like ocean fish but that's it's charm for me. Restaurants around here pass off tilapia as more expensive shit all the time because they both taste so subtle.

Orange roughy, the most expensive fish in my market, is prized for its "nothingness", so you can taste the sauce instead. Why pay for just texture? At least snapper and a couple others have a kind of sweetness, but otherwise, I want that strong flavor in a fried fish.

It's fishy and reminds me of where I got what I'm eating. Just like eating gator or frog, it's not reminding me of coastal city food, but then again I don't identify with limp wristed coastal city culture, so I don't care.

And for the record, Escoffier always said use the oldest bird for your dish, because it will carry the most flavor.

Very true. I was only cooking for myself.

>I thought you could cook fresh-caught catfish just like frozen salmon from the supermarket and it tasted bad the one time I tried
FTFY

Just sayin, for my preferences, it would be about 5 minutes more of prep. The idea of eating a whole green bell pepper just seems off putting to me; but if you like it, I don't care, go with God.

Have you ever been told that your preferences are off putting, and that in complete honesty, no one (other than the people you pay to cook your food) cares how you eat said food?

No, but I have a feeling that I'm being told that right now.

Guess I would just look at it as needing a small amount of effort to make it more appetizing. If you put it in the perspective to serving others (like I do because I usually cook fort the family), then it becomes a different story. I know when I make stuff for myself, I give much less of a fuck when it comes to that aspect.

But no matter, if you like it, you like it, and that's all that matters.

I use Planko. It's a better texture and healthier too.

no self respecting catfish would let it's self be caught to be fried in panko. corn meal/flour is the way.

Well, I've only ever fried catfish with cornmeal and flour (40/60 ratio roughly). Pork rinds sounds like a meme t b h

Make it spicy, too. Like throw the usual seasonings into the cornmeal/flour mix, then toss some dried mustard, dried chili pepper, or whatever in there too. Shit's great.

I've had catfish a few times in po boys but until recently I hadn't had it on its own (mostly on its own anyway). It tasted like chemicals. Like someone cleaned it with bleach. Anyone ever had a bad experience like that?

I'm trying to figure out if it was the fish or the preparation but it's really discouraged me from eating it again.

where did you get that fish? was it a supermarket cut or a dish in a restaurant?

catfish isn't supposed to taste like that

A restaurant, it was new (weeks old) at the time

Fair enough. Its a greasy, non-uniform textured, off colored fish that takes on the local flavor of the flood reservoir in which it was caught.
Its loaded with pollution, and they are easy as fuck to catch. No fishing skills are required, you can literally take a shit on a hook, throw it in, and come out the next morning to find a catfish on the line.
Its not my idea of good food, but as long as someone can identify with it. At least no endangered species were harmed.

It was probably previously frozen and old (and therefore soaked in preservatives at some point) and poorly sourced. When I worked in fish wholesale, some of the cheapest stuff we processed was farmed catfish from overseas. That shit's garbage.

Also, a newer restaurant might not have the money or smarts to source good fish. The guy responsible for that could have fucked up and got something shitty for what's supposed to be a good dish. Lack of funds or being dumb can make or break finicky dishes like fish.

Don't judge catfish by that guy's fuck-up

sounds like there might have been some sort of contamination. i've had chain restaurant catfish, fried fillets at a bar for a snack, catfish straight from the lake, blackened on a griddle in new orleans restaurant. it's always been excellent. i grew up going to fish frys every sunday. no catfish should taste like chemicals unless you live near homer in springfield.

If I want fish which eats garbage I prefer flatfish.

My cheap filets of choice are ocean cod though.

>ocean cod
>implying there is such a thing as river cod

>offset grocery costs
>buys Miller lite
Faggot

>Not using Google before posting what was supposed to be a sarcastic answer
Seriously, look it up, asshole.

if there is a way to invent a breed of fish that does not exist and sell it, the fishing industry will find it and do it, and then charge premium for it.

You're the life of every party. You just angry that you're home alone, again, on Veeky Forums?

>trying to avoid using grain, like wheat, rice, corn
Why?

Even Celliac fags can eat rice and corn

I still don't understand this one.

Sounds like a pretty cheap beer choice desu. Only way he could save more is if he went Budlite or Pabst

>home alone, again, on Veeky Forums
The best nights

If you're going to try to insult someone, it's best to learn how to spell so you don't make yourself appear like an idiotic asshole as opposed to just an asshole.

>some varieties of perch are called "cod" by alcoholic australians who don't know what words mean

Cod are saltwater you dingus

>last night I double-O-hamburgled your sister

I do! I actually just made some for my parents last night. Catfish filets patted dry and then breaded in 50/50 flour and corn meal. Added salt, pepper, old bay, an extra paprika. Fried @ 325 for 7-8 minutes depending on thickness and I added some lemon juice before eating.

Added in some fresh cut fries, onion hushpuppies dipped in honey, and cole slaw. It was a damn good meal.

>Because I'm not Australian, I can pretend I still have a point and am correct by ignoring a whole group of freshwater fish called cod.

There's farmed cod. It's from western farmers, so I wouldn't mind trying it. I just don't see it in the freezers yet here, so ocean cod it is.

Why can't you shitlords just agree with me when I say this is a Jay Z album??? I and some other people who have never heard a Jay Z album say that it is.

You're being really problematic when you try to categorize stuff. Just because Christopher Columbus didn't land in India doesn't mean it's retarded to call Native Americans "Indians" forever. Stop trying to tell me they're called something else just because everyone other than me and my neighbors think so.

When farmed cod is marketable, it will still be ocean cod. It will have to be farmed in salt water, which necessitates big quantities of salt water and a lot of space, a la salmon farms.

No one thinks of farmed salmon and anadromous wild salmon as the same thing, you know.

Wow. You're really struggling with being wrong, aren't you?

Labels that don't make sense grind my gears, man ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's like a forbear of mine in ye olden days started calling Australia "The Islamic Republic of Iran" and got his descendants to call it that, too. Who are you to correct us?

Still going, huh?

This is a picture of John Cena

So yes?

Have you ever had """river cod?"""

Yes, I'm Australian.

why does it make any sense to call something a type of cod when it isn't a type of cod?

But it is a cod.

It's a perch.

Then why isn't it called a perch? Because it's a cod.

>what is taxonomy

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gadidae

do all australians hate science?

I'll admit, user, this has been good fun. But, I've tired of the screams of REEEEEE in my ears. Good luck in your struggles to cope with being wrong.

The Australians resort to frog meme references and tap out when confronted with their ignorance. You heard it here first, folks.

Your argument is invalid if you want to cite taxonomy. Perch are in family Percidae - not the same as river cod. So, river cod aren't perch. Try again, user.

I only attempted to prove that they weren't cod.

The term "perch-like" in taxonomy refer to large groups of fish species. Taxonomy is blurrier than it should be.

My point stands, though. Would you ever call a Thylacine a kind of tiger? It's still called the Tasmanian Tiger by some.

So why are Australian "freshwater cod" mentioned in the same sentence as cod? Most people, apart from Mick Dundee, understand that "cod" primarily refers to Gadus morhua and secondarily to its close relatives.

In all fairness, from my perspective, you calling river cod "perch" was you being wrong for the second time.

I should absolutely have been more specific but chose to be confrontational. I am posting on Veeky Forums.

I maintain that I'm not wrong about what kinds of cod exist, in the same way that people who talk about subspecies of tiger aren't wrong when they omit Tasmanian Tigers.

So you were wrong? And the screams of REEEEEE shall continue to resound across the board.

River cod =/= cod

in the same way that Tasmanian tigers =/= tigers as the rest of the world understands them

this is not tough man, c'mon

Yes but that doesn't mean saying ocean cod is unjustified.

What's the word for tiger that defines them separately from Tasmanian tigers?

Tasmanian Tigers aren't called tigers in local vernacular though. Plus they're official name isn't tasmanian tiger. River cod is literally called river cod.

Catfish is literally none of those things and you're pants on head retarded. I'm sorry you live in the Louisiana gulf fallout zone with BP chemicals everywhere, but if you river isn't polluted no fish should be like that.

Have fun sleeping with your sister I hope that makes up for it.

It's memey for sure but I've been on a no-grain diet and it's working real well for me. The tough things are burgers, sandwiches, and frying stuff.

>fried catfish
>collard greens
>fried plantains
fuck I miss it

Last night I pierced in and out of your sister

an old name for pollock is "boston bluefish." the color of the fish is a lot like the bluefish, so it isn't that weird that someone started calling it that.

does that make it a bluefish, even if that's the vernacular somewhere? nope.

I'm a saltwater angler and for the longest time I was like "who the fuck eats catfish" because all the saltwater cats are slimy and disgusting. But apparently the freshwater ones are tasty.

I actually prefer a lighter breading like my pic, I use cornmeal/flour but no egg dredge

>swai

Fuck that shit

That pic gave me a boner, thanks.