Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Core_State_Standards_Initiative
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

What are you doing Yim?

Distribute the 5 into (2x2) and you have 20 divided by 20 and that's one

I forgot to say I thought it was 1 sorry man

(20/5)*(2*2)=16

It has never been 1

20/5 is a coefficient of (2*2) which means the answer is 16. That isn't fucking common core, its common sense.

That's incorrect.

even the "old way" or "PEMDAS" is parenthasis and exponents first, then multiplication and division, then addition and subtraction last. But multiplication doesn't have to come first over division, its just what you do in order from left to right. So when you see division left of multiplication, you do the division first. Thus
20/5(2*2)
20/5(4)
4(4)

The answer is use more fucking parentheses if you're going to write your fractions like that

Multiplication takes priority when it's next to the parentheses you stupid fuck.

no it fucking doesn't
it never has
all operations are carried out left to right in PEMDAS

>people getting baited by cropped picture

>Multiplication takes priority when it's next to the parentheses you stupid fuck.

>inserting arbitrary rules into simple operator precedence and expecting the rest of the world to comply

Neither solution is wrong, the problem is fundamentally wrong. x/y IS NOT an acceptable notation of division. You must either use a fraction bar or put parentheses around the numerator and denominator for this expression to be valid.

You stupid fucks are why we need common core.

First parenthese
Then Multiplication next to parenthese
[Unless brackets dictate otherwise]
Therefore
2*2 = 4
4 * 5 = 20
20/20 = 1

Mathematical rules aren't arbitrary by their nature.
I understand people wish to read right to left, but math isn't read like the English language.
It's read as thus:
{[(*/+-)]} {[(*/+-)]}

The answer is to use more parenthesis to eliminate unnecessary confusion in your equations.

*sorry, left to right, top to bottom

That's literally what order of operations is. It's just an arbitrary set of conventions that make ambiguous written forms explicit.

This is why at the beginning of literally every math book is a discussion of what conventions are used in that particular book.

Everyone always says common core is shit but I can't believe they don't teach PEMDAS

The big failure of common core is that it attempts to codify and teach the little tricks that many people come up with to deal with numbers. This is a failure because these tricks are usually pretty idiosyncratic and they use really, really simple examples where no one who uses those tricks would ever bother with them.

When was common core instituted? I graduated almost 8 years ago an while my primary/secondary school education wasn't top notch it wasn't terrible

common core is intentionally shit, invented by jews
Donald Trump will kill it

It's a troll picture
Both say 1 originally

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Core_State_Standards_Initiative

This is why we need Reverse Polish Notation.
20 5 2 2 * * / = 1
20 5 / 2 2 * * = 16

Fuck brackets.

All of you pieces of shit who keep that bullshit alive should be holocausted.

I see the mental burden of using an ambiguous mathematical syntax is making you angry.

>infix notation
or, god forbid,
>prefix notation

20/5(2*2)
20*(5^-1)*2*2

/x implies *x^-1