Misleading Professors

Ever have a professor like this?

>during lecture, really stresses that a handful of topics/concepts is really important and difficult and that we need to know them
>goes out of his way to make sure everyone really understands these few core topics
>a few things are covered rather quickly, not much emphasis placed on them, ehh, not too terribly important, whatever, who cares
>these extra, "trivial" little things are never mentioned or used again
>assigns homework involving, and suggests thoroughly studying, aforementioned "important" concepts
>"those concepts will be on the test! :^)"
>homework is 90% just the super important concepts with maybe 2 or 3 problems on everything else over the course of 5 homeworks

A week or two later...

>TEST DAY
>"So fucking prepared, I'm so glad the professor helped us so much with those core concepts/ideas! Lucky that I spent do much time studying them so hard!"
>100 point test
>20 points worth of questions related to what he told us to prepare really hard for
>fucking 40 points worth of questions on material he only briefly mentioned, that even the book had little information on and next to no practice problems
>another fucking 40 points worth of questions that require using techniques that he either absolutely never told us about or said we don't need to worry about

WHAT THE FUCK

You showed that you have understood the important stuff by solving the homework, of course the other ones are in the exam, or are you a high schooler?

well its okay if your are in high school. Right now, Im thinking about trigonometry. No one really explains what it is but you get the idea how it works.

Oh, also,

>after the test
>"I'm surprised so many of you guys failed. I hope this was a wakeup call and that you start studying the things I tell you to really focus on. :^)"
>ohhhh I know your tricks now, you fucking gypsy sick hole
>prepare for the next test by scouring the book for every obscure little detail he didn't cover in class, getting pro at them, expecting him to pull another fast one on us
>next test is 100% only the topics he focused on in class, just made impossibly hard and overcomplicated
>highest grade was a C-

FFFFFUUUUUUUCCCCKKKK

It's calculus 1B (from the 1a/1b/1c/1d series). He hyped up being able to evaluate definite integrals, then made over half of the test about interpreting graphs of antiderivitives/derivitives/second derivitives and the average value theorem.

Are you incapable of learning everything that you're taught in a basic class?

Or maybe you are just dumb and lazy, in addition to blaming everyone and everything other than yourself for your failures.

Dumb lazy highschooler detected

Ah, you a USF ChemE too?

"gotta separate the A's from the B's"

its a lazy/incompetent professor's way of creating a bell curve.

never trust what a professor says, they are always licking the boot of bell curve overlords

always learn more than you think you need.

always cover the problems they don't.

Don't know if you know this, but you should know everything highlighted in the homework problems, meaning the concepts/methods behind it.

Professors stop giving you reviews and holding your hand after freshman year.

Not OP, but you are just being a contrarian cunt. The prof is obviously giving them all the wrong signals. His inconsistency (which is a result of his attempts to cover his fuck ups) is effectively what lowers the standards among his students.

>going to class
Lel nigga just learn from the textbook

>calculus
oh man you are a bitch

academics give out false signalling over what is important. The also dont put any focus on the form of the exam, instead emphasizing the abstract knowledge. They also dont know what is going to be in the exam until the final week themselves

academics are shit tutors, wow who would've thought

>always learn more than you think you need.
>always cover the problems they don't.
This. It's seriously as simple as taking responsibility for your own competence.

OP, if you have any desire whatsoever to be an effective scientist, you can't trust anyone else - not even your professors - to tell you how much knowledge is "enough." It's better you learn this early and well. Ideally you shouldn't even be going to class.

Damn Daniel, back at it again with the underagebans

This is common in foundational classes, your lectures teach you what you need to get started, and the assignments help you extend that knowledge. Unless it's a very in-depth class, you shouldn't ever expect many questions from lecture material in the final. It will always be problems similar to the ones on assignments, to show you are able to apply that knowledge to other problems.

>calculus 1B

Aaaannndddd that's where I stopped reading

It's called not being a beta faggot and just asking the prof what he thinks he's pulling.

The fuck is wrong with you retards? Of fucking course they put the obscure shit on the exam.

The whole purpose of the class is to teach you something so you can take the knowledge and go do shit with it. When they test you, they're not going to test you on how well you can regurgitate the homework assignments, they're going to test your ability to synthesize the knowledge you learned to solve a problem that you are hopefully unfamiliar with.