Acidic vs alkaline forming foods

Multiple sources cite spinach and quinoa as either alkaline or acid forming. There's no consensus online for those two foods.

Where can I find real research and results on this that are more trustworthy.

Other urls found in this thread:

fao.org/quinoa-2013/faqs/en/
sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0002822395002197
suppversity.blogspot.com/2016/01/alkaline-diet-4-9-days-reduce-urinary.html
suppversity.blogspot.com/2013/11/high-dietary-acid-load-doubles-risk-of.html
suppversity.blogspot.com/2012/04/supercharging-creatine-with-baking-soda.html
suppversity.blogspot.com/2013/10/sodium-bicarbonate-for-strength.html
suppversity.blogspot.com/2015/10/low-grade-metabolic-acidosis-may-eat.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

altavista.com

As I said. Lots of different websites claim spinach and quinoa are acid forming and alkaline forming. So who is correct?

Spinach I saw to be rather acidic, this could be due to the presence of oxalic acid. But the camps really seem to be divided on wether quinoa is alkalinic.
Then again I imagine that for both cases it heavily depends on where it was grown (soil conditions), method of preservation, transportation, humitidy etc.
Interesting question though!

Not to mention the different strains!
I suggest that you head down to say an aquarium shop or your local chemists department and pick up some litmus paper if you really must know for your particular veggies.

An example of this is given by:
fao.org/quinoa-2013/faqs/en/
"Quinoa can be classified into “bitter” and “sweet” varieties that reflect the saponin content", which will obviously change the acid-base chemistry somehow.
Then again when you're generally that close to neutral to begin with it's really a non-issue.
(Then again I find quinoa and spinach to be rather foul anyway).

Your body's pH is very finely regulated to fall between 7.35 and 7.45. You cannot change the pH of your body (tissues, fluid, or blood) by simply changing the type of food you eat.

PH strips.

Are you a middle aged stay at home soccer mom?

>alkaline or acid forming
That is true but acids/bases could influence cooking processes + imagine you had some hypothetical strongly acidic variant of spinach it might be bad for your teeth or somesuch.

Alkaline and acidic food is fucking bullshit
everything you eat goes into a fucking 1M solution of HCl in your goddamned stomach anyways and is then broken down
just because something is acidic or alkaline before you eat it, does not mean it will also be so when it goes into your fat gut
I have seen no benefits to this kind of diet at all

How acidic can spinach get lol
The truth about spinachs and quinoa is it doesn't matter. You just find people growing them in acidic soil and others is alkaline soil, and they still grow. The plants probably regulate acidity through CO2 in the air anyway.

>Alkaline and acidic food is fucking bullshit

That would also be my educated opinion. Where this idea comes from I do not know.

Alkaline is the quantum of biology.

Its a real thing, but completely different from what most people think it is.

try drinking bleach or alkaline water and tell us how that went.

Some plants need to grow in alkaline soils or acidic soils.

Because bleach and alkaline water is totally comparable to food
Are you even trying?

Why would you suggest drinking bleach? Couch Potatoes do not do well in alkaline environments.

>Because bleach and alkaline water is totally comparable to food
bleach can be thought of as a soup. You can add some mushrooms and flour if it makes it look better to you.

as for alkaline water, well that already exists and some people even promote drinking it.

>Why would you suggest drinking bleach? Couch Potatoes do not do well in alkaline environments.

why not? If someone doesn't understand something, making them experience it themselves will help them.

Well sure in a normal diet i'm pretty sure most people really don't need the concept. But suppose a person on a PPI for example usually needs to watch extra carefully what he eats. The diet they gave me said to avoid tomatoes (which are unusually acidic). So it does warrant some merit I find, just in rather unusual cases

While I appreciate the argument of stomach acid being sufficiently strong, don't forget that to reach the stomache it (usually) has to pass your teeth first do not have the highly acidic environment, but I guess a healthy tooth-cleaning regiment does negate most of the damage

Affecting the pH of your stomach isn't what op is talking about, it's this quack idea that your body can be "acid or alkali". And PPI's are shit, get off them and get the cause sorted.

Here's a way to calculate PRAL

sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0002822395002197

quinoa is 2.28 (acid), while spinach is -11.84 (alkaline)

Be warned that there's a lot of charlatanism behind the acid-alkaline stuff. Generally it's only an issue during kidney failure and kidney stones (obvious reasons), exercise (when the body's acid-buffering homeostatic mechanisms are taxed), and for preservation of LBM (without potassium, etc to maintain urinary electroneutrality, kidneys will resort to proteolysis and ammoniagenesis). There's some link to chronic disease, but it's probably acting more as a marker of poor diet here in general.

suppversity.blogspot.com/2016/01/alkaline-diet-4-9-days-reduce-urinary.html
suppversity.blogspot.com/2013/11/high-dietary-acid-load-doubles-risk-of.html
suppversity.blogspot.com/2012/04/supercharging-creatine-with-baking-soda.html
suppversity.blogspot.com/2013/10/sodium-bicarbonate-for-strength.html
suppversity.blogspot.com/2015/10/low-grade-metabolic-acidosis-may-eat.html