ITT: Annoying pop science BS/exaggerations

"did u know that sugar and heroin light up the same part of the brain? That's why it's so addicting!!!"

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enteric_nervous_system
sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0278584614000621
mdpi.com/1660-4601/7/4/1540/htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

"Entropy is a measure of disorder"

"Designer babies are coming!!!11!"

>GMOs are dangerous

"Dude, alcohol can be healthy, it boosts your bloodflow!!!"

There is some other method to do that without getting cancer and murdering braincells. It is called running you alcoholic lardass.

Global Warming is caused by humans and CO2 only.

>chemicals
>more highly evolved
>anything involving drugs
>innumerable amount of psychology click-bait bullshit

>fast food is unhealthy
>vegetables are good for your health

Fuck this meme.

> Your bowels have a second brain
> Pineal gland is your third eye maaaaaan

>your bowels have a second brain
Where does this come from

Nice tricky hook

>Where does this come from

I think it's that your abdominal region has a high concentration of nerves, and it affects your moods.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enteric_nervous_system

It's not bait you dipshit, I hear people say this all the time who have no actual idea what entropy is or how its quantitatively measured.

Whatbis entropy and how is it quantitatively measured?

Legit question, undegrad here

>"did u know that sugar and heroin light up the same part of the brain? That's why it's so addicting!!!"

Sure, drawing that conclusion is exaggerated, but it it is actually right. There are studies made on mice that showed that Sugar is more addicting than cocaine. They gave samples of cocaine and sugar to the mice and later they gave them an ultimatum, sugar or cocaine and the mice had choosen sugar.

You can just google this and studies will pop up.

Well calories are addicting when you're hungry. I only crave sugary things like cake or whatever when I'm feeling really hungry, otherwise I have no desire for sugar and could easily eat something else

But they weren't hungry.
They we given unlimited access of sugar and cocaine.

>people who are born fat can't lose weight

>smoking causes cancer

> Homosexuality is a trait you are born with according to scientists

Very interesting. I have tried to give it up and can't - yet I am alchohol and drug free thanks to willpower, have to use a sucrose substitute.

I have posted the statement about additivity on several forums and have been ridiculed into the ground. It is totally pervasive: food, drink AND gives you a rush.

>-1/12

>the future will be so much different! XDDD

*gay scientists

Entropy is often erroneously described as being a measure of 'disorder' or the change in disorder when observing a system and the surroundings. Often people say this from a popsci context, without understanding what is meant by 'disorder' ( they may give you a piece about it being how chaotic a system is ). Without going into a supernatural extent of depth, we can say that entropy is a measure of the dispersion or 'evenness' of energy when observing a system and/or the surroundings. Energy, if it is not being restricted, has a natural tendency to spread out evenly within a system much like a gas goes from being localized to becoming dispersed within a room over time. Ultimately, energy wishes to reach thermodynamic equilibria, and entropy is an indication of the extent that energy has dispersed evenly within the system. If you're a chemist, as I am, entropy is quantitatively measured as the change in capacity for a given amount of substance to store heat. At high temperature, a particular reaction may occur spontaneously as to more evenly distribute heat between the system and the environment (i.e the formation of a certain gas). This will often be an endothermic reaction, as it takes heat from the high temperature environment to more evenly share the kinetic energy among particles in the system. The system (the gas) has gained some energy and the environment has lost some, and so energy is more evenly dispersed.

you're just a friendless fat beta who never had the opportunity to snort a line or have a drink, but you had every opportunity to shove your fat mouth with junk food

fat fuck

I heard this one last night from the mother of this dopey hippie girl I'm trying to fuck:

"There's this study where they found that water freezes in different crystal structures based on what mood you think at it! And since the body is [arbitrary percentage] water, you're really controlling how you're able to hold onto emotions and even influencing how the environment reacts to you!"

yeh haha he doesn't need drugs and alcohol to be happy what a beta xD, he's not alpha like us !!!
#alpha #lit #high #420 #YOLO

>fusion is just around the corner!

Disorder works

Boiling hot water in a kettle = low disorder (low evenness)
Water cooled down to room temperature = high disorder (high evenness)

>chemicals

every fucking time

DUDE LIGHT IS BOTH A WAVE AND A PARTICLE AT THE SAME TIME LMAO
*inhales marijuana from marijuana stick

"look man we have no proof that math is anything more than a language but it's not like philosophy or anything"

>"""""real numbers"""""

>helping to blow up your own god

explain...

Wait so are you saying entropy is heat capacity (specific heat?

"Humanity must inevitably venture out into the stars because our need for new sources of energy will grow exponentially."

Willpower is not a thing that exists

This is true if you consider artificially restricting the population unacceptable

I'm not even trying to be condescending, but this stock photo series is just funny.

Anyway...
>Scientists have proven [paranormal belief] is actually correct.
>A new study proves [chocolate, alcohol, fat, other things we wish were healthy in the amounts we want to consume them in] may have some health benefits, so we're going to hype it up like it's healthy.
>law of conservation says you never go away.
>ideas regarding multiverses are something we can explain to the average viewer in a 30 minute program.
>*some guy makes a new laser pointer* "DID SCIENCE JUST CREATE A REAL-LIFE LIGHT SABER????"

you're absolutely certain?

Im not absolutely certain of anything

"we can't get through the van allen belts!"

"The first person to live to be 1000 years old has already been born!"

"Why can't they just pilot the rocket better to land, can't be hard"

a movie i saw once presented this idea
"what the bleep, down the rabbit hole"
It was actually a good movie, with some good segments containing some solid accepted science

unfortunately it also had some absolute junk science that a single person had tested once and no others could replicate - your example especially

another was that the human nervous system was precognative, "fingers reacting to pain before the signals could travel to the brain and back" kinda bs

a good movie, i recommend watching it, just dont swallow all the pills it offers.

also,
>you can run through a wall cause atoms are empty space

Just about anything that is pop sci regarding drugs is bullshit desu, senpai.

"Did you know that LSD stays in your spine for the rest of your life?"

"Did you know that chocolate contains phenethylamine, which is basically the same thing as amphetamine/methamphetamine?" - true, but structural similarity doesn't imply it's the same.

"Did you know that heroin eats your brain."

>Mice prefer sugar to cocaine
>Applies to humans too

>If you put a cat in a box it's both dead and alive until you look at it

>aflatoxin-b gives mice cancer
>applies to humans too

[math]\Delta G = \Delta H - T \Delta S[/math]
they're related by this baby basic formula

GMOs themselves aren't the danger
its the fact that they use GMOs to enable them to pump even more pesticides into the food

that and GMO crops are usually pretty lacking in nutrients or flavour

Had someone tell me today that calorie counting is a myth and that even if I keep a low calorie count I'm still less healthy than someone who eats 3000cal of """""healthy""""" food and does minimal exercise.

also when people say fat is bad for you

I think you can simplify/expand this to any pop-sci coverage of quantum phenomena.

It pretty much is.

you should show them the ingredient list of Vick's Vapor Inhalers, and see how they react to
>Active Ingredient: Levo-Methamphetamine

no

>baby basic formula

user what the fuck are you talking about

billynofun.mkv

you lack the willpower to be certain, most assuredly

> Ultimately, energy wishes to reach thermodynamic equilibria, and entropy is an indication of the extent that energy has dispersed evenly within the system

So instead of actually defining entropy you just used the fact that entropy reaches it's maximum in thermodynamic equilibrium.

In statistical mechanics entropy os defined as the number of microstates (think generlized coordintaes or a complete set of quantum numbers for all particles) that realize the same observable macrostate (like pressure or Temperature of the entire system.

>I am left brained

No, we're *mocking* those kinds of irresponsible misconceptions
You seem to have missed the point of the thread

>The bible is written in the decimals of pi, it's such a magical number !

Ethanol can be healthy, but not for that reason. It flexes the dendrites warping them out of shape. While this happens you are foggy and buzzed/drunk. If you drink too much, drink a lot, or are an alcoholic this warped shape is more difficult to return to normal. You end up with poor connections between synapses and this a "foggy" and can't concentrate like you could before becoming an alcoholic.

However, if you only drink a very little bit once a day. Just enough to get buzzed and not fully drunk, your dendrites will wrap out and come back to their original shape. This flexing, but not staying warped, actually "exercises" the dendrites in a way that helps prevent some old-age mental diseases and improves cognitive thought.

The biggest problem is that people drink too much. Way way too much for this process to benefit them in any way at all. They simply damage the dendrites and fuck everything over.

As for "boosts your bloodflow." The only situation that would be good for is preventing frostbite when you are warm but your extremities need the extra blood flow. Of course you can't do this if your body is cold or not protected properly from the cold because it would merely make you lose heat faster and you'd get hypothermia. But, if your snug and need to protect your fingers, toes, nose and ears it can help prevent frostbite.

those fucking pictures of women doing stupid/pointless shit in a labcoat

Wat

Yes. I understand there is a more exhaustive definition of entropy. As entropy decreases there are fewer accessible micro-states, however, as I stated, I only gave a brief overview of what quantifying entropy entails. Your explanation is little more qualified as a proper understanding of entropy although.

You don't know what you're talking about, OP's picture is scientifically accurate, that's how you do mutate DNA manually.

In the case of roundup, we don't pump more herbicides, just a different kind of them.

>There are sets with cardinality greater than the naturals

I legitimately laughed when I was first told this, and proceeded to reject the reals from my life.

I had so many discussions about this bullshit, a friend of mine even bought a 100$ water filter to "structurate" it

You should have pretended that this was some grand epiphany and she opened your eyes so you could have a threeway with the daughter and mother (assuming she was attractive).

Why would there be a sharp drop in our level of technology? srs question

it's funny how people think that heroin and amphetamine are horrible and destroy your body but have no qualms with taking Oxycontin or Adderall. It is true that they are purer, but most people don't even think that far.

>le sticks and stones

Because the greater technology the higher chance of something very bad happens.

ATM the most dangerous things are just tiny nuclear reactors capable of destroing tiny pieces of land. But we are getting better and better at this.

However once the eu + usa finally unban the eugenic dna better children, we will have potential to fuck up whole generations.

That chart just predicts something will go wrong. Or the kebab will win and progress will be labeled heresy once again like many times in history.

Digestive tract indeed has a lot of nerves, and they largely operate and fire without brain intervention

Well actually when you burn your hand you retract it out of a reflex, and those signals only need to reach the bone marrow.. You'll start retracting your hand before your brain senses the damage.

The reason why people say this is because they think fast food is high in calories and vegetables low in calories. People associate low calories with healthy.

These are bad assumptions. They may be true for some cases but stating them like a general fact is certainly incorrect. Fast food isn't always high in calories. Low calorie nutrition isn't always desirable.

Sometimes the idea that fast food isn't "natural" also plays into it, depending on the person. Also very stupid.

>not same user

aren't vegetables and fruit healthy though? i'm pretty sure micronutrient deficiencies are common as fuck and eating vegetables and fruit would help. also antioxidants and shit

i remember reading something about vegetarian/vegan diets making people feel better, however not because of the absence of meat but because of vitamin deficiencies and whatnot

not that i would know because im a lazy fuck who doesn't like vegetables

Do you have a source on that? Sounds like bullshit, desu.

The only major benefit of alcohol I'm aware of is the cardiovascular. Not related to dendrites at all. Did some quick googeling and couldn't find anything.

It's highly probable that pi is a random number and that every finite sequence of numbers can be found in its decimals. Thus you could consider a code like a=01, b=02,...,z=26 and find the bible in there.
But even though we believe it is true, it's merely a conjecture and even if it is true, it is not at all exceptionnal. Most real numbers are like that.

>"healthy" food is more expensive
Maybe when looking at calories.
But calories are not a primary concern unless extremely underweight

"healthy" food is more dense when looking at micronutrients and is cheaper if don't want vitamin deficiencies.

>"Willpower doesnt exist!!!" bleated the retard.
>"Are you certain?" said the user.
>"Im not certain of n e thing!!!!"

Then shut the fuck up you indecisive piece of shit, come back to us when you grow a spine and/or kill yourself.

Look, if you're still going to troll or act retarded, that's fine.
- Swear
- Ad hominem; Call people names
- Don't provide counter-arguments
- Reject realism and the scientific consensus
That's ok.
Just don't loop.
Looping is cancer.

Personal incredulity and the argument from ignorance are fallacies. You're ignorant.
You imply you have no knowledge of the other kinds, therefore they don't exist.
That is wrong irrational.
:D

Because people assume that the world is chock full of unstable people wracked by crippling paranoia and homicidal urges. These people project their own inadequacies and then get angry when you point out that they're below the status quo because most people aren't actually lunatics.

What would likely happen is technological stagnation, a perfect example of this is the firearms industry; the "singularity" there was a select few inventors over a small period of time. (John Moses Browning, Eugene Stoner, etc)

I wish I could see that smug grin you surely have right now disappear as you realize I didn't read any of that.

It would cause my cock to achieve an unprecedented hardness.

>most people aren't actually lunatics.

That hasn't been my experience.

>That hasn't been my experience.
I'm not going to question your definition of "lunatic" because I suspect it's some fedora bullshit and I don't want to get into that, but consider this: when's the last time you saw a workplace dispute erupt into homicide?

It was at a lecture about 25 years ago at HMS. I suppose you could sum it up as being a TED talk before TED talks existed. I don't remember the prof's name. All my googling isn't coming up with anything because all the results are "lulz alcohol is bad here's how to fix it" even in google scholar and is all about "too much alcohol" or "Alcoholic Dementia".

This is the only thing I can find in the muck,

sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0278584614000621
>...while low doses positively affect learning and do not cause seeking behavior.

However, the mechanism in the brain that does this isn't explain in it.

Here's the best I could find on the subject,

mdpi.com/1660-4601/7/4/1540/htm
>However, ethanol also has neuroprotectant properties and in low-to-moderate dosage reduces the risk of dementia, including Alzheimer type.
>5. Ethanol as a Neuroprotectant

Nothing on dendrites in that section specifically, just the section before it (4. Alcoholic Dementia) when taking too much alcohol.

If the prof published, I can't find it, but it may be wrapped up in jargon I'm not typing out correctly.

Lunatic just means mentally ill. There's a lot of those types in every day life. Some are mentally damaged but most are either programmed that was due to where they live or have suffered some type of acute/chronic PTSD. Most are not violent in the manner you are referring.

>However, if you only drink a very little bit once a day. Just enough to get buzzed and not fully drunk, your dendrites will wrap out and come back to their original shape. This flexing, but not staying warped, actually "exercises" the dendrites in a way that helps prevent some old-age mental diseases and improves cognitive thought.
t.phd in broscience

see

No, the picture's wrong

If it were real, it would be from a microscope because they shrink scientists down in real labs

>Lunatic just means mentally ill
Fair enough, I suppose using a colloquial definition wasn't the best decision, but I'm sure you can at least see my point. Most people aren't prone to violence, hell, most people will avoid conflict beyond a certain level of escalation. (in the real world "Veeky Forums-style" arguments are taboo in most environments)

>(in the real world "Veeky Forums-style" arguments are taboo in most environments)

Thank fucking god. Can you imagine shit like this being acceptable in the real world? Murder rates would rocket.

Sounds to me like it was just a theory of the prof in that case. Found a couple of papers about dentrites in chronic and fetal alcohol exposure but none of them mentioned anything like you describe in the abstract.