I am attempting to make castella (Without an electric mixer...

I am attempting to make castella (Without an electric mixer. Bad idea) and I won't know the results until half way through the day.

Tell me what tedious recipe you have attempted before.

That pic made me cry knowing i'll never produce something that beautiful.

Jalapeno poppers are incredibly tedious to make. Cut them in half and deseed them, then fill them with cream cheese, then dip them in milk, then coat in flour, then dip in milk again, then coat in bread crumbs, then fry and turn over to make sure they brown evenly.

Jalapeno poppers are my favorite snack but I rarely make them cause it's so annoying to do.

TETSUOOOOOOOOOOO

i want to make that bread

>Jalapeno poppers are incredibly tedious to make. Cut them in half and deseed them, then fill them with cream cheese, then dip them in milk, then coat in flour, then dip in milk again, then coat in bread crumbs, then fry and turn over to make sure they brown evenly.
Just wrap em in bacon dude! Cut bacon in half, wrap, secure with toothpick. Grill or back. I like to brush them with some guava jelly, but that's just my special touch.

I once had a garden and grew way too many tomatoes. I had to use them so I made a big batch of tomato sauce. Seeding and pealing all those god damn tomatoes...

Jesus Christ even the first image is scary as hell

>just add some steps!!

I think the user was saying instead of breading and frying them, just wrap them in bacon and grill/bake, which would probably be less of a hassle.

they arent poppers then
they're more like spicy devils on horseback

I bought a Weber smoker a few years ago, and tedious would definitely describe it. It's not hard, but it takes a lot of patience and time. I live in Arkansas and I've had barbecue all across the state and many of the surrounding states, as well.

Many of these places have small profit margins so they might cut corners on ingredients, or are using recipes that are several generations old. Tastes have evolved since then.

Long story short, the best barbecue I've ever had has come out of my backyard. I just wish I had more time and that I liked this house and its backyard. I can't wait to sell it.

I like perogies but I find them annoying to make, so I usually eat frozen perogies

Post pics of your house!

De-boning chicken hind quarters

Making beef tallow

One of these is tedious, the other is boring

They're still poppers
And I personally enjoy them better

>I usually eat frozen perogies

I would suggest boiling them first. It's a little more tastier and easier to eat.

>They're still poppers
>And I personally enjoy them better
This.

But, just google poppers, a clear 50% will be bacon recipes. Thinner bacon is better, btw.

The issue with breading jalapenos is the smooth surface that nothing sticks too. Grilled jalapenos get nice and charred, mmhmm. The bacon protects it a bit, and it's not like you can't smash some breadcrumbs on top to get crisped up for the crunch you want, in addition to the bacon crunch.

Also,
goat cheese > cream cheese > cheddar cheese

Castella was made without e-mixers back in the Edo period.

My country fried steak recipe is next level, but it takes half an afternoon to prepare. When I make it, I go with batches of 8-12 pieces because fuck putting all that effort into a single meal.

Trim meat, hammer both sides, cut it into pieces, sprinkle seasoning both sides, prepare flour with seasoning, prepare egg wash.

Then coat each side in flour, dust off, coat in egg wash, then flour again. I can only fry 2 at a time too, and it takes me 6 minutes per batch.

This isn't even including side dishes like potatoes, sauteed greens etc.

I know but I just don't have the upper strength of a farmer. 10+ minutes of vigorously whisking has turned my arm into dead weight.

Hrm, I just dredge cubed steak in my seasoned flour, and smash it good, set it aside about 10 minutes while I saute some onions and mushrooms. Then add them to the pan, prolly 5 minutes each side. Ehh, might make a gravy from the crusty bits with stock or milk, depends on mood.
Greens are just bacon and onion in the bottom, dripping rinsed and chopped greens. Lid on. BAM! Done in 10 minutes. Stir.
What's with all the work? If you want to put some effort into Southern food, you're making biscuits or cornbread from scratch, which isn't that big of a deal since you have the bacon grease ready to warm up in the cast iron before you pour that batter in! I think my only cheat nowadays is buying prechopped mustard greens, just to avoid getting the scissors out. It seems fresher than the whole stuff I find at the market anyway. I might use canned field peas or beans vs the longer boil of some frozen speckled butter beans or something unusual but frozen fresh.

baking is fun :)

I'm being inpatient and sliced into the castella before waiting 12 hours. It turned out surprisingly moist and very bouncy. Extremely strong honey taste though. A semi-success.

underrated post.

That looks good OP.